Marriott Resort vs. Peninsula

Jul 5th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Marriott Resort vs. Peninsula

After reading Bob's epic report, I was convinced I would stay at the Marriott Resort for a Dec. vacation in Bangkok. But Asiahotels.com just offered me a rate of $189 for the Peninsula, which puts it in the high end of my budget (if I juggle a few numbers!)

I have 72 hours to decide. It's hard to find a negative comment about either.

Is the Marriott quiet? Since it seems more family-oriented, that would be one concern.

Although they're both on the opposite side of the river, is transportation easier from one or the other?

Bob: I liked that you had a shopping mall adjacent to the hotel where you could grab a quick bite or go online - anything similar near the Pen?
Jul 5th, 2005, 09:50 AM

ya thats all there is out there... the pens location is way better then the SPA.. the thing the SPA seems too have going for it is decent price for a big pool..

Jul 5th, 2005, 09:57 AM

I'd say the Peninsula is the better location. The Marriott has the better pool.
Jul 5th, 2005, 10:25 AM

the hotels are not the same really...the penn is lux lux lux...the marriott is lovely and very comfortable but not in the same class...i love them both for different reasons....could you stay in both..

the penn has a slightly better location but not much....5 minutes to the skytrain instead of 12-15---both by boat...

there is nothing near to the penn like the mini mall at marriott...we like it for that reason of added convenience and for the cheap thai meals available in KS in the mall...

penn offers an hourly boat to river city which is nice....penn is closer to the oriental, its mall (OP) and other new road places...

for convenience i rank them about equal...both are next to bridges for taxi access to the main part of the city although the penn bridge takes you directly into the center...the marriott bridge allows better access to the sukhumvit area using rama III...

i love each of them for their unique situations...

pool: the marriott has the best pool and best garden area...best for swimming...

the penn's pool is ok but not good for swimming..it is 3 sections and all one depth...it is nice for lazing around and they have raised cabannas...have to get there early to get one....service at both is good as is the food at the pool...

the penn has the better restaurants: jesters, chinese, al fresco thai and the buffet restaurant...all are expensive, except the latter...
marriott has lots of restaurants, most are mediocre and quite expensive..the chinese is very good--rice mill is its name...

both hotels are what i would describe as quiet...even thought there were 3 weddings going on one sunday at the marriott, it was still what i would call quiet...neither offer much to do at nite on property, but both have bars...there is a thai show at the market restaurant nitely at the marriott...

the penn offers a nice afternoon tea in the lobby...

the staff is far friendlier at the marriott...the penn staff is not unfriendly, just very correct, which some might equate with unfriendliness...i see it as it should be at a 5* place...the marriott is 4* imo...

that is a fantastic price...it must not include the taxes and service and how about breakfast...the tax/service adds 17.7% to the bill or about $30...fyi

let us know what you decide...split your time?? my choice..
Jul 5th, 2005, 11:45 AM

I would just add that the more you visit a hotel the better the service and the more personalized it becomes- its only natural that the staff will treat repeat customers with a little more attention. I suspect the same would happen at the Penn if one kept coming back there.
Jul 5th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Their website (asiahotels.com) says that rate is including breakfast and taxes.

Thanks for the helpful info. I'm leaning towards Penn.
Jul 5th, 2005, 04:17 PM
CFW

It's also a question of what atmosphere you like. The Pen is high-rise. The Marriott is more like a resort with lovely garden/pool atmosphere. We loved the Marriott and the feeling of a resort in a city..Depends on what you like.
Jul 5th, 2005, 07:21 PM

That is a great rate for the Pen in December, which is peak season. I was thinking of booking for my son but when I go to Asiahotels the rates are not available except by request. Is this how you got the rate by requesting it.
Jul 5th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Yes, you need to fill out the application and give your credit card info etc. I heard back from them in about 2 days I think.
Jul 6th, 2005, 02:53 AM

If you can afford it stay at the Pen - is a gorgeous property, great restaurants - most people go there just to check it out on a Bkk trip!!
Jul 6th, 2005, 04:40 AM

John-- I really think you need to decide what is most important to you in a hotel. The Penn is definitely more luxurious. It is also the most modern and to my mind a bit sterile and the least thai. When I was there I felt like I could have been in any city in the world. I'm one of those that found the service very cold and unfriendly although it was certainly correct in every way. For me the best part of being in thailand is experiencing the warmth and charm of the people and I think you'll find more of that at the Marriott.
Jul 6th, 2005, 05:37 AM

Ok I always jump in at this point- when we were there we found the service friendly and on a par with what you would expect from a true 5 star property. In fact when we were in one of the shopping malls staff from the hotel who were off that day saw us and greeted us!I would characterize the staff as repectful- not cold. Its what we expect from 5 star properties.
It is a modern hotel, but has Thai influences. Yes there are some high tech gadgets but people do not stay there for those things. Its the quality and food and service which has made this an award winning hotel (voted number 1 in the world at one point- and always shows up in the top ten). It being a high rise you get some spectacular views of the river (all rooms face the river). I agree if a resort style experience is more to your liking- then the Marriott is maybe the better choice. If history appeals more then maybe the Oriental is your cup of tea. We loved the Penn and would return there in a heartbeat of we visit BKK again.