Mandarin Oriental Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently stayed at the MO Bangkok--this is truly one of the BEST hotels I've ever stayed at. The spa is world class and the hotels 10 restaurants are amazing. Some of the best hotel food I've ever experienced. If i go back to Asia, I would literally get a connecting flight in Bangkok to go back to this hotel and stay a night or two. I have some pictures below:

http://www.peacelovewander.com/2012/...l-bangkok.html
Old May 19th, 2012, 07:26 PM

for the price you paid I certainly would have been expecting a top notch hotel..

nice pics.

hope you ate in lord jim
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:50 AM

Ann,

I totally agree with you. One of the best hotel in the world and was number one for several years. Outstanding service, beyond expectation even. One year I had a birthday party at the China house and they surprised me by closing the upstairs and decorated it with a birthday theme and had an open bar for us. Another time while eating at the Normandie in Bangkok I had brought over my own champagne. The waiter noticed that it was not cold enough so he replaced it with another bottle, same vintage and maker, from their own cellar.

Some people think it's too old fashion and snobbish but I say that it has class and sophistication.

Next time you should try the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi in Chiang Mai.
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:10 AM

i last visited the oriental a couple of months ago after a two year absence. i went there with a friend to the bamboo bar, one of my favorite places for a drink and good piano music.

we got there around 615pm. as we entered the hotel, i told my friend that shorts were not allowed in the hotel lobby and dining areas after six.

as we entered the bamboo bar, a wall of very bad odor hit me. i asked the mgr what smelled so bad. she said it comes from the room next door, the cigar smoking room. it smelled bad, at least for me and my friend.

after about five minutes, two gents entered with shorts and went to the bar for drinks. my frined said to me, i thought you said no shorts after six.

i replied i guess i was wrong, they seemed to have relaxed that policy.

btw, no piano player, only on fridays, sat. and sun. we went to the shangrila lobby bar after finishing our drinks. nice music, and no bad odor. yes, yes, i know, lots of cigar lovers here. don't hit me too hard. lol.
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:54 AM

ken, remember your reception in the bamboo bar when you produced a bag of your prized HI grown nuts??
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:54 AM

let's not forget the oriental's brown water issues..
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:52 AM

Oh I LOVE the Bamboo bar, I haven't smelt the cigar smell ( thank goodness ,makes me gag) I really like the MO but for some reason we prefer the Peninsula but both are FABULOUS hotels. Pook I agree with you, I too think its class.....
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:34 PM

Many thanks Ann for the thoughtful review of that wondrous Mandarin Oriental hotel in beloved Bangkok. (And congrats on your fine site; well done, and keep up the good work.)

Your pictures of the Oriental bring back such a rush of warm memories of stays for both business and celebrations. Makes me nostalgic. (For various professional reasons, the St. Regis is my current and primary BKK business travel hotel.) And your photos of your room at the MO are wonderful and make me smile : that particular room category - and view - was experienced on selected business trips.

Glad you enjoyed your recent stay. The majority of my business/holiday times spent at the BKK Oriental were back in the day when the esteemed Kurt Wachtveitl was General Manager; such gracious staff. A class operation, indeed.

Hope you return soon to SE Asia, Ann, perhaps to our fine home of Singapore. (More than happy to offer recommendations.) Thanks again for the fine review and for planting the seed to return to the MO in near future. (But first it's back to the St. Regis next month for work and a soon-to-open place called The Siam in July.)

Warm wishes to you and all from SF Bay Area,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:56 PM

Robert, I will be very interested in your review of the Siam.
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:10 AM

bob, i assume you are talking about my macadamia nuts. yes, it was a rather strange reaction by the female server.
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:02 PM

What do you all think about the location of the new Siam Hotel?
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:24 PM

eks--i'm not wild about the location, but i am sure it will be a destination..

pook, pls check it out for us..
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:09 PM

It's not open yet Bob and I'm off to the US in a few days time. Robert (AskOk) will probably know it best since he has something to do with the hotel.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:21 AM

The design is sure to dazzle! It's received lots of press here in the US, most recently in the NYTimes last weekend, within an interesting article on the city. In case you did not see (not the author, too)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/t-...pagewanted=all
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:56 AM

Thanks for posting this link, eks, I don't know how I missed it on Sunday!
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:13 AM

great article
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:12 PM

Great article, I ate at Soul Food on Thong Lor last time and aside from the fact I was on my own, I thought the food great ( I think this is better if you are sharing the dishes with someone)
Thanks again for posting.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:00 PM

thanks for the link, eks
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:58 PM

Really good article. Was very curious about this new hotel mentioned in the article, but with rooms starting at $520/night, maybe not so much.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:02 PM

The $520 makes me very curious even though I won't be staying there - lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -