Malaysia - 3 day trip

Search

Malaysia - 3 day trip

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malaysia - 3 day trip

Hi Folks, My wife and I would like some advice on travel through Malaysia. We will be staying in Singapore and would like to do a 4 day trip into Malaysia. My thoughts are....
1. Bus to Jahor, Were does one catch the bus?
2. Hire a car and drive to Melaka stay 1 night. Any thoughts on a good Car hire company?
3.Drive to KL stay 2 nights then drive back to Jahor and bus back to SIN.
Any thoughts on Hotels at Melaka or KL?
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Well I have done some homework and found a good www site http://www.asiatravel.com
Bus SIN to Malaysia....
By Land: To/From Malaysia:
Bus - For Johor Bahru, SBS bus No 170 leaves from the Ban San terminal on the corner of Queen and Arab Streets ; the Bugis MRT is within walking distance. You can also catch the bus on Rochor Rd, Rochor Canal Rd. or Bukit Timah Rd. You can also take the express bus to Johor Bahru operated by Singapore-Johor Express Ltd (Tel: 6292-8149) which departs every 10 minutes, also from the Ban San terminal.
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Cont...Buses
The bus stops at the Singapore checkpoint while you clear immigration-keep your ticket and you can just hop on the next one that comes along. The bus then stops at Malaysian immigration and customs at the other end of the Causeway, one km away. After clearing the Malaysian checkpoint, you can then catch the bus again (your ticket is still valid) to the Johor bus terminus, or you can walk to the town. Money exchanges, whose first offer will usually be less than the going rates, will approach you or there are plenty of banks and official money exchanges in Johor Bahru.

If you are travelling beyond Johor Bahru, it is easier to catch a long-distance bus straight from Singapore, but there is a greater variety of bus services from Johor Bahru and the fares are cheaper.

In Singapore, most of the long-distance buses to Malaysia leave from and arrive at the bus terminal on the corner of Lavender St. and Kallang Bahru,opposite the large Kallang Bahru complex. It is to the north-east of Bencoolen Street ,near the end of Jalan Besar. Take the MRT to Lavender station the bus No 5 or 61, otherwise it's a half-km walk. However,current plans are to move the Malaysia bus terminal to Beach Rd, near Arab St.
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:17 AM

Hi

I have taken the bus from Singapore to KL a couple of times and that has been a good solution. Maybe you can get a bus from Singapore to Melaka as well? Or do you want a car? WHen it comes to hotels you should check out hotel websites like asiatravel.com, planetholiday.com etc and see where you can get a good deal Here is my trip report with pictures from KL last year http://gardkarlsen.com/malaysia_kuala_lumpur.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:45 AM

From from Johor Baru to Malacca and Kuala Lumpur is very easy via the North South highway. The problem is when you hit the city, the road system is very confusing. You must get a good up-to-date map of the cities.

I strongly suggest once you arrive at KL, park the car at the hotel and take the local public transport.

For hotels in KL suggest getting one at the Jalan Bukit Bintang area.

In Malacca it depends on whether you want a boutique one at the old part of town, at the beach or a hotel near shopping and food?