malaria/health issues in siem reap?

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 10:31 PM
betsy

malaria/health issues in siem reap?

I am going to Siem Reap with my husband, mother,mother-in-law and brother in september for only one day and one nite, from Bangkok. I have read that there is a malaria risk there. I really don't want to take pills for only one day, but I don't want to get malaria either! does anyone have info on this? thanks.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:00 AM
Andrea

We didn't hear anything about needing malaria medication in Siam Riep, and we did ask. The ONLY place you should check (assuming you're American) is your local international travel clinic or the CDC website. Both places will have access to the latest health information and will be able to help you assess your personal risk level.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Mary Anne Cook

I was in Seam Reap and Phnom Phen last Feb. A doctor had prescribed the pills for us, but we never took them. For that period of time I would not take them. There can be side effects to the medicine. Malarone was the medicine prescribed for us. After leaving there we were down on the Mekong in Vietnam so after this experience I do not feel your chances of getting malaria is very great.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Les

Betsy,
You need to check whether there is a malaria risk where you're going (see andrea's posting above).
Mary Anne, NO conclusions can be drawn about the chances of getting malaria based solely upon your experience. All that can be said is that YOU didn't get malaria THIS time. If malaria is endemic in the Siem Riep area (and I don't know that it is), all it takes is one bite. I would hope that Betsy doesn't make her decision based upon your recommendation.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 08:10 PM
Kathie

I'm heading for Siem Reap in December. I checked the CDC web site, and they say malaria is endemic there. As someone above mentioned, malarone is the recommended medication.

Hopefully, you've already gotten the other immunizations you'll need, like hep. A, typhoid, tetnaus and polio. You really need all of those for traveling in SE Asia.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Les

Kathie,
All the info I could find suggests that Mefloquine (brand name Lariam) is the preferred medication, with others to be used in instances where Mefloquine cannot be taken.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:33 PM
Kathie

Here is one route to info on the cdc site: http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/seasia.htm

It recommends Malarone or doxycycline in the western areas of Cambodia and in Thailand. It's certainly true, Les, that different sources do give slightly differnt recommendations on which med to take.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Les

Hi again, Kathie.
Looks like we're both correct.
This is the site where I got my information: http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/eastasia.htm
I see why the recommendations differ between East Asia (China), where I'm going, and Southeast Asia (Cambodia). Apparently there is a mefloquine-resistant strain of malaria in the southern climes; however, mefloquine appears to be the preferred choice elsewhere.
Which just goes to show, you really need to read the recommendations carefully.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Roger

Malaria by far is the number ONE killer of humans in the world. 500,000 people a year will become infected. It is your choice and the luck of the draw, but you are playing with a loaded gun.
ROGER

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 02:53 PM
kelly

Yup, agree with the above... Pass the Malarone, you won't die from the side effects but you might from malaria... talk to your MD...

Kelly