Yantze River New Dam site

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:54 AM
Crystal

Yantze River New Dam site

My husband and I are planning a trip to China this fall. We are trying to choose a tour that accomodates the following.
My husband is very much interested in seeing first-hand the new dam site.
Any suggestions of tours that actually disembark ship to visit this dam site.
Thanks, Crystal

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 12:30 PM
TRAVELIN4FUN

We took the Regal China Three Gorges cruise about two weeks ago. A stopped was made at the dam sight and we spend a couple of hours touring and viewing it. This includes a great view from the tower that has been built at the highest points of the sight. Our cruise was part of the Grand Circle Tour, but most of the tour companies have a similiar itinary.
If you are traveling independently, you could book either the Regal or Victoria lines.

herbw

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Fred

We just returned from a Rim-Pac tour. They use the East King and East Queen, which were very nice boats. They too stop at the sight for a very interesting view and tour of the dam.
If I had to do it over again I would choose a 3 night downstream tour rather than a 5 night upstream tour. Frankly, the last day on the Yangtze was relatively boring.
Fred

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Fred

Just a correction on my previous post. I would recommend a 4 night downstream rather than a 5 night upstream. The website for Rim-pac is www.rim-pac.com
The website for the cruise line is www.orientroyalcruise.com
Fred

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:20 AM
lucy

Pacific Delight has the best selection of ships (from Victoria, Regal, MS East Queen / King, and MV Snow Mountain). We are offering a $200 reduciton for November 2001 on selected cruises with Victoria. These tours are all featured on our web site at www.pacificdelighttours.com.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Crystal

Many thanks to each of you for your response. Another question I have: are all the cabins outside cabins and are there mosquitos?

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Crystal

Also if you had it to do all over again, would you do the cruise again or would your time be better spent visiting other sites.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 04:47 PM
katie

We were on a Yangtze cruise in June--and would gladly do it again. The area is beautiful. Our trip was downstream-4 nights-which was the right amount of time. There was a short stop in Fengdu, a trip to see the lesser gorges, and a stop at the dam. I think all of the ships stop at the same places. The time spent on the cruise was well worth it. In addition to seeing a beautiful area the cruise gave us some time to sit back and relax. You might want to check what the weather is like at that time -- we had a misty type of rain all but one day, it didn't slow any of us down but it might be something you'd like to consider.
We were on a Victoria ship and all cabins had a large window.
In early June we didn't have problems with bugs in any of the cities we visited.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 10:03 AM
travelin4fun

I think the cruise is well worth it and would definitly do it again. We took the 5 day upstream cruise and agree that the 4 day downstream cruise would be enough. I will admit though, after a rather strenous week of touring, the first do-nothing day on the river was a welcome rest.
We saw very few bugs and we were not at all bothered by mosquitos on the Yangtze. I did get a few bites on the Li River in Guilin but it was worth it to see this remarkable scenery. Don't miss this!
herbw

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Crystal

Thank you all very much for your help.
It is very much appreciated.
Crystal

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Fritz

We took the Yangtze cruise upstream on Victoria Cruise Lines Yangtze Angel. We booked the tour through Ritz tours.

The cabins are all outside, but we upgraded to one of the upper decks that had balconies. It was wonderful to sit on the balcony and watch the shore go by.

The dam site was fantastic! It is on a scale with the pyramids! We took a lot of pictures, and built a web site:
http://www.peacham.com/china/dam.htm

Have a great time!

Fritz

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:03 PM
Mark

Traveling to China first time. Interested in Yangtzee cruise, lesser 3 gorges and Li river. I know sometimes there is flooding When is the best time to go on these cruises for weather and scenery? May?? October??

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 07:16 PM
Nancy

Is there any way to see the Yangtze without taking four days---perhaps hydrafoil or something like it? We will have limited time in November of 2002? Any suggestions? Thanks