Still bargains in Singapore?

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 08:43 PM
Richard

Still bargains in Singapore?

Hello i posted a message earlier about choosing between Singapore or Hongkong and due to flights and availability we have to go to Singapore.Not that im complaining as i think both cities would be wonderful to visit
I was just wondering if anyone has any info they could give me on good places to shop, eat or a good place to enjoy at night such as a club or bar etc .
we have managed to get away for 5 days without the kids so we want to make the most of it
Thanks alot

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 02:17 AM
wayne

hi richard,
i'm from singapore and am the foremost expert on romantic fine dining in singapore so here's my tip:
for fine dining look for the thread "romantic restaurants in singapore".for local food go to newton circus (MRT newton) which has a good variety but no ambience or go to pasir ris park off elias walk road. there is a local food centre by the beach and opens only at nite! lovely,lovely atmosphere but you have to take a taxi there.shops:what are u looking for? designer stuff at orchard road,antiques in dempsey road,trinkets in little india and clarke quay.nite life:mohd sultan road is THE place. also Zouk disco which rivals ibiza discos at jiak kim street.for walks, visit the botanic gardens, night safari or east coast park beach. do tell me what sort of holiday you are looking for and i will advise you accordingly. alternatively you can e-mail me directly. regards, wayne.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:18 AM
jas

Wayne,
I read from somewhere earlier and u mentioned that u are from Penang. Now u say u are from Singapore? Do u mean that you are currently working in Singapore?

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:31 PM
wayne

hi jas,
yes i was born in penang and lived there the first 17 yrs of my life.i still go back there 4 times a year for business and to see my parents.i now work and live in singapore and have been for here for 14 yrs. because of the nature of my job i entertain at restaurants alot so i am quite familiar with most restaurants here. where r u from?

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 09:12 PM
Kathie

Singapore is a wonderful city, and I'm sure you'll have a great time. I don't know what you like to do, but I can give you some suggestions for things I enjoy in Singapore: the orchid garden at the Botanical Gardens (and of you want to splurge, have lunch or dinner at the French restuarant in the gardens, called Les Amis au Jardin - expensive and worth every penny). The Museum of Asian Civilization, the Empress museum, both lovely. For a fun lunch, consider eating at the Compass Rose high atop the Westin Stamford. You can see three countries from there, an amazing view, and the seafood buffet is the best I've seen anywhere in the world. Little India is very interesting, and the Quay is a great place to have dinner, hear music, spend a great evening.

Singapore has wonderful tourist services. There is a free book published by the Singapore Tourist Board that is very helpful.