Search

Mahabalipuram hotel advice request

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mahabalipuram hotel advice request

Hi,

Does anyone know a nice hotel in Mahabalipuram?
I'm looking to spend a couple of days on the beach and do some cultural sightseeing...
I'm willing to spend a bit more for a great hotel near/ by the beach.

Also, any advice on Mahabalipuram in general is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:40 PM

You could try the Hotel Fisherman’s Cove Hotel or the Temple Bay Ashok Beach Resort.Check this site out:
http://www.tajhotels.com/Leisure/Fis...AI/default.htm

Mahabalipuram, or Mamallapuram, was the chief seaport of the Pallavas who ruled over much of South India from as early as the first century B.C to the eighth century A.D., and it is now recognized as the site of some of the greatest architectural and sculptural achievements in India. Under the reign of Narasimha Varman (c. 630), this seaport began to grow as a great artistic center. The beautiful cave temples and gigantic open air reliefs carved from blocks of granite date to the seventh century.
At the southern edge of Mahabalipuram is a group of five free-standing temples. Four of them were carved out of a single long granite boulder. These temples are actually detailed replicas of ancient wooden structures. These temples represent the rathas (chariots) of Arjuna, Bhima, Dharmaraja, Nakula-Sahadeva -- the five Pandava princes of the epic Mahabharata -- and their common wife, Draupadi. Work on these five temples was stopped after the death of Narasimha Varman in 668.

In early eighth century, work was begun on the Shore Temple at Mahabalipuram. This temple was built to honour Lord Shiva. Unlike the temples described above, the Shore Temple was built with granite blocks. The design of the Shore Temple is significant because it is the earliest known example of a stone-built temple in South India. The Shore Temple also influenced the architecture of the Cholas, who succeeded the Pallavas as the dominant dynasty in the area now covered by Tamil Nadu.
Culturally very rich,you could visit places close to Mahabalipuram.Pondicherry is day trip from there.
Book well in advance as all the Taj properties always run full.

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:14 PM

I don’t know you budget and I don’t know the following hotel at all, but it is a recco of Alistair Sawday, whose book at website I just love, and whose reccos so far have found to be good. Its called Sterling Beach Resort, take a look at http://www.sterlingmahabalipuram.net

Alistair Sawday's book is called Special Places to Stay India. This has literally hundreds of very interesting places to stay. They also have a website at http://sawdays.co.uk/, click on the book for India. The vast majority of these hotels are not in the luxury range and some are in the very low budget range, but all look interesting.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:51 PM

You can try Ideal Beach Resort, I think you have to book well in advance, but you might be lucky.
www.idealresort.com
This place is spotless and the service very good, gives you the feeling of a thai hotel more than an indian, if you know what I mean.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 09:33 PM

We recently stayed at Ideal Beach Resort. Good service, very pleasant atmosphere, pool. I would recommend it.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:26 AM

All the hotels sugegsted above are just outside Mahabalipuram and are expensive hotels.You need to have transport to each Mahabailpuram.Fishermans Cove Hotel is a 5star hotel which is a bit far away from Mahabalipuram.
If your budget is known , it is easy to suggest hotels.Another recent good nd star hotel is Grand Bay hotel which is at the entrance of Mahabalipuram town.

If you are there by 28th Jan, you can see some classical cultural dances.