Mae Hong Son Loop

Search

Mae Hong Son Loop

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mae Hong Son Loop

We are spending all of Jan. and Feb. in Thailand and Vietnam flying into Bangkok so just trying to line up where to go when. While staying in Chaing Mai we want to take a few days to do the Mae Hung Son Loop so just wondering as far as the weather if we would be better to do that towards the end of Feb. If so then we would do Vietnam first as that will be mostly along the coast. I appreciate your help.
Warrsher
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 09:24 AM

I would put northern Thailand including Chiang Mai and the MHS Loop towards the beginning of your trip. The burning season often causes massive pollution in the region and can start in mid Feb. It can get really unpleasant with the smoke causing breathing problems and reducing visibility to a few metres. It happens most years and can vary in severity. It may be ok npbut I wouldn’t risk it.
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks

Thank you very much. I was not aware of that and yes it would be unpleasant to say the least. I appreciate the feedback.
warrsher
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Mae Hung Son loop by Motorbike.

Has anyone done this loop with a motorbike and if u have can u share any info about your trip like how long it takes and about food and lodging.
Thanks
warrsher
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 12:18 AM

I have done the loop a few of times by car. As a very experienced motorcycle rider, I was very tempted as is a route very suited to riding a motorcycle. The roads are in reasonable condition and sweeping through the 1864 bends over the route of 650km looks like a lot of fun.

If you area an experienced rider then I don’t need tell you not to even sit on a motorcycle unless you have all the correct protective gear -pants, jacket, gloves, helmet etc. Can be difficult to source.

A reasonably powerful bike is necessary to navigate the steep hills and bend. The ubiquitous 90cc Hondas aren’t going to cut it. A min 250 cc is needed.

Be aware thar driving standards, already pretty bad in urban areas, deteriorate rapidly once out into the hills where many have never learnt to drive, much less passed a test. Vehicles driving on the wrong side of the road is the more rather than the exception. Takes a little adjustment whether driving a car or bike. Clearly the risk to yourself rises exponentially on a bike.

Forgive me if you already know all this but I have seen many wounded tourists hobbling along the streets of Asia wishes no they had never seen a motorcycle. I have also witnessed a handful of fatal accidents.

As far as timing is concerned, it can take anywhere between 3-7 days great info and maps of the route can be found @ https://www.budget.co.th/WorldClassDrive.aspx

To avoid rider fatigue, on a bike I would allow longer. We usually stop at Fern Resort near MHS, Soppong at the Soppong River Inn (amazing food) Mai Sariang and Doi Inthanon . Food is pretty good at most places. Some of the markets have some good and unusual offering. Pai has grown immensely over te years and for that reason we missed out staying there last time. There is a lot spot see around the loop so I would suggested spend at leas a couple of nights in some palaces.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 12:36 AM

Be aware that the leading cause of death in SE Asia for both locals and visitors are motorbike accidents.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Mae Hung Son loop by Motorbike.

Originally Posted by Kathie
Be aware that the leading cause of death in SE Asia for both locals and visitors are motorbike accidents.
Thank you very much for the info and it does give me reason to rethink this trip. I do still want to do it and will but may do it in a rental car or by mini van. It is a shame because it would be a great route to do by bike but at 71 life is very precious and safety is first. Thanks again for the info.
warrsher