luxury with child n July

Jun 19th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

luxury with child n July

Hi all, I am thinking of visiting Malaysia for about 2 weeks in July with my husband and 8 year old daughter. I would like luxury but not a hotel that's so ultra cool that there are no children there. I was thinking of Pangkor Laut for part of the time, or somewhere in langkawi ( The Andaman? or the Dati, or is it not child friendly ?) or possibly the east coast ( better weather and snokelling? ) maybe Tanjang Jara. Any suggestions / comments very welcome. Also any recommendations for a malaysia based travel agent to arrange transfers. Cheers Yvonne
Jun 19th, 2003, 09:53 AM

Hi Yvonne.

Think the hotels you mentioned may be a bit too exclusive as far as children concerned.

We have a 9 year old girl and last year we stayed at Pan Pacific Resort, Pangkor - 4 star luxury on beautiful beach. The hotel has a Pacific Wing which is a bit more luxurious than the rest of hotel.

Or alternatively, on East Coast - the 5 star Hyatt Regency in Kuantan is lovely.

Both hotels will have plenty of children the same age or similar to your daughter. In fact, in Pangkor last August our daughter met a different child nearly every day
Jun 19th, 2003, 10:23 AM

my impression of life at the datai is that it is not child friendly.....i have never seen any children there....
the sheraton resort is very child friendly...more 4* than 5 but very nice and large....there are nice cottages near the beach which might be perfect for you with a child
Jun 19th, 2003, 02:32 PM

I love the Hyatt at Kuantan. The prices are reasonable and it's very child-friendly.
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:23 AM

In July you should definitely be looking only at the East coast so Pangkor Laut and Langkawi are out. FYI, Pangkor Laut is very kid friendly.

Jun 21st, 2003, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kenstee,
you have me worried now about going to the west coast, I have searched the forum and there have been posts suggesting that July isn't so wet in the west, some showers not constant rain. Is this not the case and should I only go to the east? It seems a shame to miss Pangkor Laut, Thanks for your help Yvonne
Jun 21st, 2003, 09:44 AM

Hi YvonneM - we stayed in Pangkor last 10 days in August 02 - had virtually no rain during day ( a few nighttime storms). However, met a couple at KL International Airport who stayed in Langkawi at same time, and they said it rained a lot. Langkawi is approx 200 miles north of Pangkor.

According to official stats the worst time to visit West Coast is Sep/Oct - July has half the rainfall of that period.

The final decision must be yours but in my opinion July shouldn't be too bad a month to visit as long as you accept that it will rain late afternoon/early evening on most days
Jun 26th, 2003, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's advice, I think I'll spend some time in Langkawi but more on the East coast. Has anyone stayed in the Aryani near Merang?