Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels in Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Chris

Banyan Tree (Phuket) or Amanpuri, Oriental (Bangkok) or Peninsula (Bangkok) - any ideas or comments? Also we are thinking about going in March, is Phuket, Chiang Mai, Angkor Wat and Bangkok safe?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 02:38 PM
anon

Chris<BR>we have a travel warning about Phuket just now(UK). I'm sure that people will tell you not to worry but it's better to &quot;go prepared.&quot; you will love the Oriental and the Peninsula. There has been some debate on this forum as to which is the better but really you can't go wrong whichever you pick!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:33 PM
lany

chris: please tell me what the travel warning is. we will be in phuket in january. thanks.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:47 PM
anon2

Australia also has a travel warning for Phuket. It is because there are so many &quot;foreigners&quot; there- another Bali perhaps. I am not sure if there has been specific information of terrorist activity or if they are just trying to predict. As the first anon said it is better to have that information. Unfortunately in this day and age no-one can tell you you are safe anywhere.The chances of you being caught up in any new outrage are pretty remote though, don't you think?

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Michael From New York

I live in New York. I was crossing the river on 9-11-01 when the WTC was attacked. From our office windows we later watched the towers come down. So, in my view, no where is safe except an underground bunker in some remote place. But I don't want to live in a bunker.<BR><BR>I am leaving New York, flying in to Hong Kong, then on to Phuket in two weeks. I'll probably pass on visiting Patong, this trip, and just stay at the resorts, away from Patong.<BR><BR>But I am going anyway. Why not? I wonder if after the WTC was destroyed people in OTHER countries were given warnings about coming to New York.<BR><BR>Bali was always considered safe wasn't it.<BR><BR>They way to lengthen your life is to live it and experience what you want. <BR><BR>I am pretty sure that living in New York has its risks. I've been robbed at gunpoint twice right here in Manhattan.<BR><BR>Yeah, I'm going to Phuket.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Lindsey

Michael,<BR>For the stay of a lifetime, don't miss the Regent in Chiang Mai. The most tranqui;, relaxing, pampering resort in the Asia. Traditional yet luxurious Thai-style villas built around working rice paddies. A spa that was just voted best in Asia by one of the big travel magazines. It's actually run by Four Seasons. You can check it out on their website.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Bon

It is not worth wasting the money, you can get a good room in Phuket for about $10 to $15 and be right where everything happens. No point wasting your cash. The fancy places just overcharge for everything. Try the Exat hotel in Phuket, good clean rooms, a pool, bar, what more do you honestly need. You can buy your tours there and they do a cheap airport transfer. Just walk to the bars and clubs, easy, and you save massive.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 10:03 AM
floridacy

Stayed at Peninsula lasy month in Bangkok. It was the best hotel we have ever stayed in. Deluxe room was magnificent.Grounds and pool are great as is their boat service all day and long into the nite.

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 02:07 AM
clive

Go for a 1 bed suite @ The Peninsula - it is not much more expensive than a deluxe room and you won't regret it

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Kj

We stayed in a suite at the Peninsula in July and it was fantastic. I highly recommend the hotel.<BR>We also went to Cambodia. Go now before it becomes Disneyland. It was incredible. Out guide was wonderful. if you want to read about her, or our trip to Cambodia go to<BR>http://www.wired2theworld.com

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 12:16 PM
mary

Michael from NY: Since 11/9 and since the world's intelligence agencies have discovered that there are sections of the Moslem world who would like to continue with scenes like 11/9 they have been putting out warning reports about certain areas in the world that are hot spots for terrorism. BALI/ INDOSESIA WAS ALWAYS ON THAT LIST - people just choose not to listen and said &quot; oh the people of Bali are not Moslem therefore we will be OK&quot; the fact that Indonesia is the largest Moslem country in the world and Bali is predominently Budist doesn't change much. There is a warning out NOW that the Moslem fanatics in the south of Thailand are very active and threatening. In fact there is a warning for the whole of S.E. Asia. I have just returned from S.E. Asia and had to go through there to get home - it was not my choice. Fortunately I only had to go through Singapore and I most certainly did change my plans of entering Malaysia and Indonesia. It is not safe and for what its worth THE HATE AMERICAN'S GUTS! <BR>Yes the way to lengthen your life is to live it but you don't have to stand on the edge of erupting volvanoe to prove that point - there are safe destinations and you are then NOT putting money into the pockets of those people who are more likely to blow you to pieces.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 03:46 PM
John G

I stayed at The Oriental this past summer and it was the finest hotel I have ever stayed at--and I have stayed at the Pen (HK), Claridges, Connaught, Cliveden, Groucho, Hotel de Paris, Crillon, and Galle Face. The service and history of The Oriental are what set it apart from all the rest. There are those on this site who claim it is snobby, but I find that incredulous. If you want to know more about The Oriental, please read Francine Mathews', &quot;The Secret Agent.&quot;

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Kathie

Mary, you seem rather confused about issues of travel advisories and warnings. There was an excellent article in the New York Times this week about the travel advisories (both public announcements and travel warnings) that have been issued by the US State Department. By the way, it's always a good idea to read about the areas you plan to visit on the website, www.state.gov<BR><BR>There has been a public announcement for Americans to be cautious worldwide in effect for over a year now. Travel Warnings are &quot;don't go&quot; recommendations, and there is not a &quot;don't go&quot; warning for SE Asia. Note that there was an advisory in effect for Indonesia, but up until a few weeks before the attack in Kuta, there was an exception listed for Bali and other major tourist areas. There was never a specific warning for Bali. Bali, by the way, is Hindu, not Buddhist. <BR><BR>There is a public announcement of &quot;be cautious&quot; for SE Asia as there is for the whole world right now. Each person must decide what feels like a reasonable risk for them. There are constant warnings about terrorist activities in the US.<BR><BR>Also, the vast, vast, majority of Muslims don't &quot;THE HATE AMERICAN'S GUTS! &quot; This is a travel board, which I would hope would promote international understanding, not bigotry.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 10:29 PM
dko3tgk

MAry,<BR>I'm from NY too. I have been to Bali spring of 2001. I went to Phuket this past summer. I have been to INdonesia, Malaysia and Thailand this past year and I never felt any anti-American sentiment, or in any blatant type of risk. I'm not saying there wasn't any risk, just nothing to be panicked over. If you want to be extreme, no place is 100% safe. The Brits had IRA bombings, Israelis and Palestinians kill each other. Many countries in Africa have civil war. Japan had the subway gassing in the early 90's by a Japanese religious cult. Korea sometimes has violent labor protests. Some countries kidnap westerners for ransom. And street crime and fatal traffic accidents exist just about everywhere. <BR>I live my life how I want to live it. This is a travel board as Kathy said. The people asking usually have made their mind up about travelling. They may ask about specific places being safe, but are looking for advice not rants. <BR>I have had friends die in the WTC attack. And yes I was a little worried about flying to ASia Dec. 2001. I was also in Jakarta in March of 2001 for a wedding when there were accounts of decapitations and student protests turning to riots. If I didn't go, I would not have been able to share in one of the happiest experience in my friends life. <BR>I travel for pleasure and leisure. You can die at anytime. From countless causes in addition to terrorism. Planes crash without bombs or hijackers. Trains derail, and ferries sink. Does that mean one should never fly, take a train or a ferry? I believe if it's your time to die, you die. I could never go anywhere, not be as happy. But then I'm sure my friends who died at work that day had no clue earlier that day that death was upon them either. If I go, at least I'll be enjoying myself. <BR>Sorry Chris I started to go on too long. I normally don't stay in luxury hotels in Bangkok. But the Oriental is supposed to be great. And if you haven't been to Phuket before make sure to see Phang Nga bay. And if you are worried about safety, either skip Phuket, which is similar to Bali where the island revolves around westerners. If you still want to go to Phuket, then staying away from Patong would suffice also.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Renate

We just came back from our 2weeks stay in Phuket, Banyan tree and it was like Paradise there. Honestly speaking it was very expensive but it was worth the money. Choose at least the lagune jacucci villa or a higher category, the garden of the jacucci villa (without lagune) seemed a bit small to us. <BR>To compare it with Amanapuri: The Banyan tree is located in a lagune, where 6 hotels are united,so you have more possibility to go out if you feel like and you are absolutely private in the banyan tree resort - so you have both, privacy and fun.<BR><BR>Have a nice holiday,<BR>Renate

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 09:55 AM
joe

Hands down, the Oriental in Bangkok is the place to stay.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Ryan

Chris, <BR>In Phuket, if it is a choice betweeen the Aman and the Banyan Tree, I'd take the former. (We stayed there a few years ago.) Originally, we had planned on the Banyan Tree until I realized that it was one of five hotels in that complex. We visited the area and I think we made the right choice as that complex seems to draw tourists from a variety of budgets.<BR><BR>If you want seclusion, the Aman is much more private. <BR><BR>FYI, you might want to make plans to have dinner at least one night at the Baan Rim Pa restaurant on the cliffs just above Patong. Fantistic food in a really nice setting.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 06:27 PM
bob

just returned from 30 days in thailand...we stayed at the peninsula, the jw marriott (twice) and the bkk marriott resort and spa on this trip in bangkok...<BR>we love each for different reasons..<BR><BR>pen is just the the ultimate all around<BR><BR>we do like the marriott resort and spa the best all around however

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:23 PM
MichaelGarvey

Yes, there is certainly some discussion about the virtues of both the Penninsula and the Oriental.<BR><BR>Last week I had a balcony suite at the Penn and it was quite excellent. While I have heard many people speak of the virtues of the Oriental, their room prices just crossed my threshold of pain for vacation.<BR><BR>--------------------<BR><BR>Prior to that, we stayed at Patong Beach at the Amari Hotel. It was very nice and had it's own private beach. It was a short hike (or tuk tuk drive) to the main areas of Patong (assuming that's what you want).<BR><BR>We rented motorbikes and headed out to a relatively unbuilt beach (the name eludes me for the moment) to enjoy a quiet, uncrowded day.<BR><BR>We walked through the Merlin (which was more in the middle of things on Patong) which looked pretty nice (didn't see the rooms, though).<BR><BR>Considering that we got picked up to dive @ 7:30 am each morning and got dropped back late each night, we probably could have just spent less on a hotel while we were there.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:40 PM
yy

I receommend a little known gem call the Chedi in Phuket, check out the hotel group's website http://www.ghmhotels.com There;s also a Chedi in Bali, looks good too.<BR><BR>It's very comfortable, tranquil, excellent service, great food, right on the beach, next door to Amanpuri. All rooms are in the form of individual cottages, beautiful, some on the hill, some by the beach.<BR><BR>It's not the large resort type hotel with lots of facilities, only has 3 restaurants, a small bar, 1 pool, spa, library, that's about it. If you looking for a quiet relaxing time, this is it!<BR><BR>Can't wait to go back.<BR><BR>yy