Reload this Page >

New to Thailand....

Search

New to Thailand....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Korbin

New to Thailand....

In light of the recent events in Bali, I'm having to change my plans and book a new Christmas trip. I'm now planning to fly from Hong Kong to Bangkok - then I have nine days in Thailand and have no idea where to go - or how to get there. I've heard Phucket is nice - and I'd like to go to a great hotel somewhere and chill out on a beach. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 01:17 PM
Craigy

Phuket is very commercial, if you want nightlife and getting smashed drunk then maybe it's your sort of place, but you would find Pattaya cheaper. Close to Bangkok try Koh Chang or Koh Samet, or the coastal resorts like Bang Saphan, Cha Am, Hua Hin etc.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 03:24 PM
Michael From New York

While Craigy is entitled to his opinion - his review of Phuket is misleading.<BR><BR>If you want to go out every night until the wee hours, and get drunk, then by all means, come to Phuket and stay in the heart of Patong.<BR><BR>But there are far nicer areas of Phuket like Kata, Karon, BangTao, and Kamala Bay to stay and enjoy. The best beaches in Phuket are Kata Noi, and Kata Yai.<BR><BR>These beach towns are not within walking distance of Patong, and offer many nice hotels.<BR><BR>I myself will be flying down to Phuket via New York, Hong Kong, and Bangkok in a month.<BR><BR>I've seen Patong, and it is not all sleaze and bars at all. It's just that there are some.<BR><BR>Michael in New York

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:10 PM
mark p

if you want to do some research on the area have a look at my phuket-krabi-lanta-phang nga bay map..shows all the places with links to hotels info...<BR>www.se-asia.com

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:55 PM
Peter

Korbin<BR><BR>Hi<BR><BR>In my openion Thailand is not a good place for Christmas trip and I suggest you should go to India.<BR>

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:17 PM
Sarah Rey

Don't worry about ignorant posters.<BR>From Bangkok you can fly to Phuket, Krabi or Koh Samui. Flights are frequent and reasonable prices. Hotel rates for comfortable air-conditioned room range from about 450 baht upwards. If you budget 1,200-2,000 baht you will get a nice place. It's a great place.<BR>

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 05:24 AM
orgy7

Peter why is thailand not a good destination for christmas?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Sarah rey

Thailand is fabulous at Christmas. Decorations and lights, and Christmas Eve in the main resort areas where every restaurant, hotel, and most shops are all decorated. It's great.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 10:09 PM
J

Go to Phuket. Return fares from Bangkok is about $125US with bangkokair.com or thaiairways.com. You must also go to Ko Phi Phi and Phang-Nga.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:57 PM
Beautiful woman

To.Peter,I'm Thai,Thailand is a great place to visit or even Thai food,not just India.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Howard

My wife and I spent a week of our honeymoon in Koh Samui. We loved it. I'm not sure what it's going to be like during Christmas, but I think you should find a nice hotel with a nice beach, regardless of whether it's in Phuket or Samui or some other country. We found that we spent most of our time at our hotel (we had a nice beachfront bungalow) on the beach. Very relaxing. Then at night we'd head up the road to the commercial strip for a great meal. What more could you ask for?

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Ross

I have just booked a trip to Phuket and am considering staying at the Sun Hill Hotel in Patong. Has anyone stayed there? Any reccomendations would be appreciated!