Luxury Accomodations in Thailand

Jun 21st, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Luxury Accomodations in Thailand

Planning a first trip to Thailand in November for a wedding anniversary. We only have 12 nights b/c we're leaving our little one behind. We love staying in luxury resorts (we're not necessarily concerned with a budget, but probably don't want to spend more than $500./night) Any suggestions are appreciated. I know we'll be in Bangkok and a beach area. Which beach for the most beauty and wildlife? Also, we love animals. I definitely want to see the elephants and monkeys (if they live there). What is the best place for this? Many questions!!! Thank you!!!
Jun 21st, 2005, 04:14 PM

Bangkok your best on the river options are the Peninsula or the Oriental. Search this forum for loads of past posts. Another great hotel but not on the river is the Four Seasons. For a beach look at the www.amanresorts.com property in Phuket or the Rayavadee in Krabi. For nature look at the Four Seasons or the Mandarin Dhara Devi at Chiang Mai. IMO 12 nights you could easily combine Bangkok and 2 other places eg beach plus north. One other option you could cosnider is going to Seychelles or Maldives for your beach part - much more pristine.
Jun 21st, 2005, 04:46 PM

Bangkom for a couple of nights, perhaps Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai for scenary and those elephant rides, then perhaps Phuket, Koh Lanta or krabi for the beach. Try www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com, they have a huge range of places in Phuket plus elsewhere, click for Chiang Mai and bangkok, also nice places on Koh Lanta and around krabi for the beach time. Take a look and get an idea of how much you then feel you 'need' to spend. November is the start of the high season, if you can't manage the Amanpuri rates on Phuket look at the Chedi, Kata Thani, Le Meridien Yacht Club, le Meridien Resort, Thavorn Palm etc, you can find very nice places around USD 200 unless you really want to go top expenditure. Good hotel in Bangkok USD 100-150, in Chiang Mai USD 70-120 for very nice.
In Chiang Mai look at the Rachananka, Four Seasons, Sheraton, Jirung Health Resort ads starters to get an idea, look at the Suites at the Novotel too.

You don't find much wildlife and not around beach areas except for elephant rides, also wildlife is fairly limited anyway. Elephants, buffalos, birds, and monkeys here and there. In Phuket you can also elephant ride, buffalo ride too and visit the gibbon Monkey Santuary, you can also snorkel around offshore islands, sea kayak etc. You don't 'have to' head up North for those, if you do want very scenic Northern Thailand then perhaps mae Hong Son or Chiang Rai might appeal to your vision more than Chiang Mai itself.

If you want some Elephant Rides/Jungle/river kayak etc without flying then River Kwai area a few hours by cab or train from bangkok might suffice for a couple of days.
Jun 21st, 2005, 04:47 PM

USD 120-200 should suffice for the beach side again unless you really want 'top top' place.
Jun 21st, 2005, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks soooo much for the useful info. How far are the Seychelles and Maldives from Bangkok? We've always wanted to visit both destinations, but are already daunted by the lengthy plane rides (we're travelling from Los Angeles, CA). Also, we thought of staying in Tokoyo for a couple of nights to break up the flights, but are reconsidering based on all the glowing reviews of Thailand. Thank you again!!!
Jun 21st, 2005, 06:45 PM

You don't have a lot of time, so I'd suggest restricting your visit to Thailand. Either the Seychelles or the Maldives are still a very long flight from Bangkok.

In Bangkok, I'd recommend staying on the river. You have two excellent choices for top hotels - the Pen (modern) and the Oriental (historic, traditional). You can read dozens of reviews on this board about which is better. It's really a matter of which style you prefer.

If you want to go to Northern Thailand, I'd suggest that you consider the Anantara at the Golden Triangle (you fly into Chaing Rai). It's a gorgeous setting, great spa, beautiful rooms, fabulous cooking classes, etc, etc. They have a small elephant camp on the grounds. Do a search and you'll read plenty of reviews here.

There are many options for beach resorts. James has given you a nice list to check out. I'd suggest going to a hotel booking site like www.asiahotels.com to read reviews of some of these places.

Have a great trip!
Jun 21st, 2005, 08:14 PM

to these i would add the jw marriott on phuket and the aman resort also on phuket...the penn in bangkok as well as several other bkk hotels falls into you price range....in fact all bkk hotels can be had for substantially less than $500 per nite except in the most expensive suites...

there are some well located houses with staff that can also fall into $500 or less per nite on many of the islands....phuket and samui being the most popular...
Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:23 AM

You are out of the "real" high rate season so $300/night is all you really need to spend unless you are looking for a penthouse suite. Since you will take advantage of all Thailand has to offer the room while important should be the second or third item after you read about places like Chiang Mai,Krabi,Phuket etc.I would stay away from the Amanpuri in Phuket. We spent 5 nights there 3 years ago and found it sterile and it did not have a relaxed atmosphere.
The Four Seasons in Chiang Mai is beatiful but is a good distance away from most sights in town (day and night markets). Though it is exceptional it is overpriced, in my opinion by $150 a night. The Sheraton in Chiang Mai I hear recently is getting run down so while a deluxe room may only be $150 or so for the same amount or $50 more you can find much nicer-as mentioned above-.
Overall you could save $1500 on your room costs over 12 nights and have it for shopping or finest dining.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:46 AM

I agree with Stan- spending $500/night is simply throwing your money away- no room is worth that much money. You can stay in very nice places for under $300/night -easy!
Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:40 AM

For Bangkok I agree that your best choices are the Oriental or the Peninsula. If you want to splurge at either of them you could get a gorgeous suite for the $500 or less. They are very different hotels and have different advocates. Read the reviews here and on tripadvisor.com to get a sense of which one will suit you best.

In the north, you can stay at either the 4 Seasons or the Mandarin in Chiang Mai. Both are very luxurious resorts. The former is further out of the city. If you want to be in a more rural environment you can stay at the Anantara. I can't help you with the beach resorts as they are not "my thing".

If you only have 12 days you should stick to Thailand. I'd recommend 5 days in Bangkok, 4 days in northern Thailand and 3 days in the south.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:12 AM

I would only do Thailand in that amount of time. And as for Bangkok, if you do not choose a river hotel, then I agree with Hobbes on the Four Seasons which is in town. I've stayed both on the river...at the Pen and Royal Orchid Sheraton... and in town...at the Four Seasons and many other in-town hotels... which is my personal first choice. It totally depends on your taste. Oh, by the way, I fly out of L.A. since I live in L.A.County. As for airfare, contact Star Travel in Hollywood...(323)644-1063. It's right on Hollywood Blvd at Normandy on the Thai Town/Little Armenia border...Normandy divides the two...If you're heading west on Hollywood Blvd, you'll see the blue L.A. city sign that will say "Thai Town" as soon as you approach Normandy. It's on the south/west side of Hollywood Blvd near Normandy in the HYE(middle eastern/Thai) Plaza... mini-mall...in suite 202. You can't miss it.If you book your flights by June 30th, then you'll get a lower rate since fares will hike $50.00 after June 30th. I was just there last Saturday inquiring about airfares although I had already gotten my plane tickets through Thai Air months ago. But lots of Thai friends use this agency....it's kind of a BIG secret so...shh....don't tell anyone.You can also try USA Gateway(213)383-6360 or Econo Travel (323)671-2288. With Star Travel, if you have to cancel your ticket you will be charged $75.00 from them and $75.00 from Thai Air. If you buy your ticket straight through Thai Air...on the south/east corner of Sepulveda and Grand...south of the 105 freeway... and have to cancel... then they will refund you the amount of the ticket minus their $75.00 fee and credit your credit card right over the phone. With the travel agency, you have to either mail the ticket in or go in in person to do the cancellation. Hope this has been helpful. Oh, as far as how many days to stay in Bangkok, I would give it 5 full days...it's a place to absorb and experience and not just rush through to just see sites. Plus, BK has the best hotels I have experienced of anywhere I've traveled to in the world and at great rates. I can usually get the Four Seasons for between $138.00 and $158.00 for a standard room depending on the season.Happy Travels!
Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate all the wonderful feedback. I've never written on a message board, so I'm really enjoying all the responses! I think we will definitely stay at the Peninsula in Bangkok. Up north sounds great too. So, Four Seasons, Mandarin or Anatara??? And I'm still confused about the beach. Unlike some of the other input, we LOVE the beach: snorkeling, diving (my husband) and lounging. Afterall, this is a baby-free getaway, so relaxation is important! I am going to check out the website James suggested, but I'd love to narrow down an area. Not to sound like a nut, but will I be seeing wild monkeys anywhere??? They are my favorite...
Guenmai - we are using miles to fly to Thailand, but should I contact your sources regarding the local flights? Thanks to all!!!
Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:21 PM

If you go to Phuket for beach/diving/snorkeling you don't have the ideal diving/weather conditions.But if you want to go there consider the Chedi or the Le Royal Meridian Yacht Club. At both a deluxe oceanfront room will be $200-$225 tops.
You might want to consider Koh Samui instead for beach/diving and there the Anantara is very nice and $250/night can get you a deluxe ocean front room. The Chaneng Regent is also very nice but if you want to spend near $400 the Muang in Koh Samui is said to be top of the line, but I have not stayed there.

Lastly,at the Penn in Bangkok take a room -Executive deluxe on a high floor-it is lovely. If you negotiate directly with the hotel the rate will be $250-$275 tops with full American style breakfast.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:28 AM

Stan do you mean Grand Deluxe at the Penn?
Do not go for the balcony rooms- the reason being that you really wqon't spend much time out on the balcony given the heat and humidity and the view from these rooms is restricted.