Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help me plan my R&R in Thailand if you can....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I are planning to meet up in Thailand. Me coming from Iraq, she from Portland, Oregon. Does anyone know how far it is to Chang Mai from Bangkok, and how do you get there? Train? Plane? Boat? I am interested in an elephant safari trek, a few days at a nice beach, visiting some cultural spots and parachuting (tandem)....Any suggestions? I want this two weeks to be one adventure after another with the evenings free for massage, relaxed dining and recuperating...my daughter is 27...I am not. And, where is Pattaya? Many of my co-workers have suggested Pattaya but I can't find it on the map.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 03:39 AM

Forget Pattaya, it's not relaxing. There are much better beaches. It was the R&R spot for American troops during Vietnam. It is still very honky-tonk.

For two weeks, I suggest you visit three locations, Bangkok, Chiang Mai and a beach. For 14 days, I would do BKK-5, CM-5 and Beach-4. Which beach depends on the time of your trip. The weather is very different. In the summer, Ko Samui is best. After October, Phuket or Krabi is best.

The way to get around is by plane. If you go to Ko Samui, the only airline is Bangkok Airways. They have a discovery pass for three or more legs. If you go to Phuket or Krabi, Thai Air is better. They have one direct CM-Phuket per day. They also have Thai Air Pass that will save money.

If you provide your budgetary constraints, we will be glad to give hotel recommendations.

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 07:58 AM

I almost agree with Gpanda's schedule. You can take a train or coach from Bangkok to Chiang Mai (then a plane to a beach). Lots of travel agents in Bangkok. There's a fair number of places to see in and around Bangkok as well as some fantastic shopping. Chiang Mai will be welcomingly quiet and cool after Bangkok and I'd say 3-4 days there and the rest on a beach. Chiang Mai is full of small temples and you can visit a hill tribe. What beach you choose will depend on how quiet or busy you want it. I didn't like Pattaya.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 08:09 AM

rhonda

I would also allow about 4-5 days for Bangkok, 3-4 in Chiang Mai, and the rest in a nice beach location. Bangkok is THE place to shop!! Your daughter will love it. Soooooo much to choose from.

Chiang Mai is to the north. No beaches, and I don't know if you can get there by boat??? The best way (in my opinion IMO) is to fly there, and then fly to your beach location from there. I think you will find that Chiang Mai is the best place for your elephant adventuring. Read other threads on this forum (do a search in the box at the top... something like elephant trek) and get all kinds of helpful information.

You might also consider splitting up your Bangkok time, a couple of nights on arrival in Thailand and a couple of nights before heading homeward. That way, if you have last minute things to do and see in the city, you'll have that extra bit of time before leaving. Many of us on this board try to do Bangkok in this fashion.

I've done parasailing on Phuket, but not parachuting... Not sure it is offered. I would opt for Phuket and not Pataya as your beach destination. Take a look at the Kata Thani Resort on Kata Noi beach. Very nice. Very relaxing. Nice smaller beach. Shopping and night life are not far away.

Enjoy!!

Carol

Do your elephant adventure
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Get a cheap flight with http://www.airasia.com/site/en/home.jsp for the Bangkok to Chiang mai journey.

Pattaya is about 90 minutes from Bangkok. It's popular for many because of the bars aimed at male tourists so if you went there you might prefer the nearby Jomtien Beach but places further south would be better destinations for a beach holiday e.g. Phuket or Krabi, again Air Asia is your friend.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 10:52 AM

What time of year?
Weather varies a lot. There is a Thai flight non stop once a day from Chiang Mai to Phuket. Pattaya is a city, Jomtien is quieter, south of bangkok Hua hin area is much quieter than Pattaya but still busy.
Parachuting - this is done by a club near Chonburi I think, on the way towards Pattaya, but I doubt they take non members, but I 'think' you must mean the para sailing on the beaches ( ? yes )

Time of year and budget very important to know to give more ideas.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 10:58 AM

This gives a quick summary of places
http://www.beachsiam.com/where_to_go.html , very simple but gives you a quick idea.
Domestic flights are cheap and easy but if using budget airlines appreciate that even connecting from one of their flights to another of their flights each flight is individual and if you get a delay then it's your problem.
One-2-Go though operates as a 'regular' airline but just has low cost fixed fares but you get full baggage allowance etc.