Penang, KL & Singapore in 8 days

Jun 20th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Penang, KL & Singapore in 8 days

Hi! I'm leaving for an 8-day vacation in Penang, KL, and Singapore this Saturday (June 25).

So far on my itinerary, I have: for Penang, Fort Cornwallis, the padang, the various houses of worship, Penang Hill and Cheong Fah Tze; for KL, Merdeka Square, the Lake Gardens, the Islamic Arts Museum, Menara KL, and Petronas; and for Singapore, the zoo, Night Safari, Little India, Chinatown, colonial district, a bit of Sentosa, and the Asian Civiliazations Museum.

Any other must-sees, given that my interests are mainly culture and sightseeing? Or on the other hand, any warnings about the places I mentioned?

(I realize I should have posted this sooner, but hopefully I'll still get some helpful responses.)

Thanks in advance!
Jun 20th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Additional questions taking off from my first post earlier: am I missing a lot by not including KL's Batu Caves, Penang's beaches, and Singapore's Jurong Bird Park in my itinerary?
Jun 21st, 2005, 03:32 AM

I haven't been there yet, I'm going in Sept, but from what I've read on this forum, the Batu Caves are worth it, Penang's beaches are not. I hope you will post your impressions when you return. I'm leaving Sept. 22 and would love to read what you think and about what you saw.
Jun 21st, 2005, 03:59 AM

Regarding Batu Caves. I was there a few years ago for the first time and found it quite ok. However, my mum just brought a friend there sometime last year (December?) and came back saying that the place was full of litter and not well-maintained. She found it a disgrace. Then again, she's been there many many years before and may be comparing what it is now with what was then.

I'm not sure I answered your question...
Jun 21st, 2005, 04:04 AM

Oh and you asked about Jurong Bird Park too. I've always loved that place, especially for the walk-through aviary where birds fly around you freely in a rainforest setting. But seeing that you already have the Zoo and the Night Safari on the plate, perhaps you could skip the bird park. I'd pick the zoo anyday though.

I personally wouldn't do both the zoo and the Night Safari on the same day though - too exhausting in Sg's weather and humidity.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

thanks JannaG and Laurieco!

Laurieco, yup, I'll be sure to post my impressions when I get back.

JannaG, looks like I'll still have to give the Batu Caves some thought... my KL itinerary is quite tight and I'm much more interested in spending time in Merdeka Square and the Islamic Arts Museum. On Singapore, no worries about the humidity, being from the Philippines I'm accustomed to hot weather and humidity

Thanks again!
Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:31 AM

Skip Sentosa (its an amusement park!) and do the bird park instead.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:17 AM
stjohnbound

You won't be missing much if you skip Batu. It was interesting and kind of fun to walk up all those steps, especially because of all the monkeys. But, you also encounter a lot of trash everywhere and of course monkey droppings. In my opinion, the best thing about KL is the Lake Gardens district.