Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Luxury accomodation - Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam

Old Oct 26th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to Southeast Asia this February. We would like to stay in the very nicest accomodation in northern Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Great service is very important to us. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We're also not sure at this point if we will do the planning ourselves or use a travel agent. If anyone has a suggestion for a good travel agent for this area, I would love the guidance.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 10:02 AM

Where are you going in each of these countries?

I'll make a few assumptions about where you are going...

Siem Reap: Hotel de la Paix is highly recommended.

Bangkok: The Oriental (if you like old world ambiance) or the Pen if you prefer modern) are the two "best" though you are absolutely spoiled for choice in Bangkok.

For all of these places, you get the best deal booking yourselves.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 10:34 AM

up north look at tha anantara, while it is not the most lux, it is lovely....the four seasons near by gets raves...

the oriental in chiang mai and again the 4 seasons

i consider the penn in bkk to also be traditional....the decor is all traditional, it just has lots of amenities in the rooms but they are traditionally furnished... and there is no attitude there which the oriental has and flaunts...

there is a new st regis hotel opening in bkk in january...

de la paix or the grand hotel in siem reap are both lovely

in hanoi the metropole seems to be the most lux...
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM

The Sofitel Metropole in Hanoi is FABULOUS
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 12:22 PM

Assuming the capitals as the cities you'll be staying in,

Phnom Penh - Raffles Le Royal
Hanoi - Sofitel Metropole (seconded)
Bangkok - Mandarin Oriental

Alternatively if by any chance you don't get these, Sheraton Hanoi and Dusit Thani Bangkok are good alternatives.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM

Mandarin Oriental in Chiang Mai......fabulous grounds, and pure luxury.

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/chiangmai/

Sofitel in Cambodia (Siem Reap}. Very convenient location for the Angkor Complex.

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-3123...l-offers.shtml

Bai Tram Hideaway Resort for Vietnam......just the place to spoil yourself.

http://www.slh.com/destinations/asia...deaway-resort/

You haven't asked for Bangkok hotels, but if it's in your itenary, then look at the Krungthep Wing of the Shangri La. Riverview suite here is just about unbeatable.

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/propert...ekrungthepwing
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 02:22 PM

Siem Reap - Hotel De La Paix, hands down - fabulous restaurant too

Hanoi - Sofitel Metropole (one of the best but do stay on the Club floor)

Bangkok - we love the Penn, but the "O" is great as is the Krungthep Wing of the Shang

Shop around - booking direct on the hotel website sometimes gets you the best deal, but sometimes not. A local agent such as Tonkin may be your best bet for the Metropole. Often there are deals for Bangkok hotels on sites like Asiarooms...
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 08:55 PM

for Bangkok - try out Kingston suites @ Soi 15 (Nearby Asok and Nana BTS station)... new and nice hotel.. centralized and affordable..

http://www.kingstonbangkok.com/
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 09:49 PM

I like all the above so far, I would add for Vietnam the following:

Hue – La Residence (see http://www.la-residence-hue.com) Get a deluxe river view room, as they have lovely large balconies looking onto the river and the Citadel. The suites actually have limited views and I don’t think they are worth the money, although they are quite large. They are in the older central core of the building and you won’t really have any river views.

Hoi An - Nam Hai (http://www.ghmhotels.com/) Get a beach front villa.

Ho Chi Minh – in general, I would not spend a lot of time in HCM but would concentrate on other places. But for hotels, the Park Hyatt is great for history and location. The Rex has a new wing that would be worth considering, otherwise choose rooms carefully. There is a very nice brand new Intercontinental that would also work, has a good location. They have apartments as well which I belive you can rent short term, that may work well. The river hotels like the Majestic, while big on charm, are not that great as far as luxury, service, etc. Kind of up to you as to whether charm wins over the actual hotel facilities.

In Bangkok, most of us here prefer to stay on the river, but if you go off river the Four Seasons and Banyan Tree would certainly be worth considering. I think the Penn is a great hotel, but my heart does belong to the Oriental, great spa, location and service (which I don’t find has any attitude). A river front room with balcony is hard to beat, IMO.

As you may know, Lunar New Year/Tet is in early Feb in 2011 and this may cause some closures of sites/restaurants/shops and may cause hotels and transport to be over booked. While it can be a very interesting time to be in SE Asia, you do have allow for the fact that this is the major holiday in Vietnam, and to a lesser extent in Thailand and Cambodia. In Thailand and Cambodia you are unlikely to run into shop closures, but will run into lots of expats travelling for the holiday (e.g. Ankor Wat) which means book a hotel ASAP.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 11:53 PM

In Siem Reap I prefer La Residence D'Angkor to Hotel de la Paix. I visted de la Paix and understand what they were trying to achieve with the aesthetic but would rate it a near-miss. La Residence on the other hand is full of charm. I'd also look at the Amansara.

In Ho Chi Minh I liked the Park Hyatt very much, though it's more of a first class business hotel than a purely luxury resort.

In Thailand you'll be spoiled for choice. You can't beat the Oriental for atmosphere, history and service.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 12:12 AM

try these people for booking they have fantastic rates/specials and sometimes additional perks. I used them for the Park Hyatt in HCMC last year and got the best rate + additional perks. AND you only pay on check out (usually) I have just booked a hotel in Thailand with them too.

www.whatahotel.com

Oh and the Park Hyatt was fabulous. Agree with Craig ref the Sofitel in Hanoi the club floor is well worth the extra $$
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 03:52 AM

You can use Gregg at Innovasian.com for a travel agent. He can book you the best hotel in each location. We used him for our first Thailand trip and it was perfect. In truth, you can book on your own, but if you want the comfort of an old Asia Hand, Gregg is great.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 05:19 AM

If Hotel de la Paix is as wonderful as it was when it first opened, it is an absolute MUST.
I dream every night about the MO in BKK... hope you will too.
We loved the 4 Seasons outside Chiang Mai. It is a beautiful spot with faubulous rooms although out of town.
I am not a fan of the Metropole. We didn't stay in a club room but I found the service unhelpful and stuffy plus lots of tour groups stay there. My DH preferred the Hilton during a business trip to Hanoi but I wouldn't call it luxe.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions. I can't wait to plan the trip!
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 07:38 AM

I actually dug the suite at FCC Siem Reap. Hotel has like 13 rooms including 3 beautiful suites. Open air design overall, and very smart interior.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 02:47 PM

I also can highly recommend Gregg at Innovasian if you want the trip planned for you or if you want to book hotels yourself, go for a Virtuoso agent who can get you extra perks at their lux properties-the Park Hyatt in HCMC is most likely a Virtuoso property, also the Sofitel in Hanoi and La Residence in Siem Reap(which is my choice there too) and the FS in Chiang Mai which is fantastic.

I haven't stayed at the FS Tented Camp in No. Thailand but it's supposed to be wonderful and sometimes FS has specials if you use several of their Thailand properties or use the V agent and you'll get upgrades, breakfast, credits, etc.
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 02:22 AM

Dina: So, have you decided yet where you going to stay? above all are great suggestions..
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 05:25 PM

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
I second the Residence d'Angkor recom for Siem Reap....more "authentic" of an experience, quieter part of town....enjoyed the room, pool, dining experience and Apsara Dance show very much.
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 06:17 PM

barefoot, we're staying there and looking forward to it!
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 08:28 AM

We went to Thailand and Cambodia early last year and have the best memorial trip.
Bangkok we loved Peninsula & Sukhothai, PEN great river view and SUK closed to everything shops, rest… Chinagmai we happy with the Chedi club room, perfect location and good services.
De la paix fantastic option in Seim Riep, and raffles Royal in Phnom penn great colonial hotel.

Our family heading to Vietnam & LAO next June and our Local agent suggest us, Saigom at Park Hyatt, Nha Tran at Ana Mandara, Hoi an at Victoria beach, Hue at Residence hotel, Hanoi Sofitel Legend, Halong bay cruise with Jasmine junk and Laos with Residence Phou Vow..

The Nam Hai in Hoi an looked very nice but Ann told us too expensive 500++nit, he suggest us Victoria Beach resort (junior suite) look not bad… as we will travel with 3childs so we pick Victoria.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -