Luong Prabang Hotel Recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good hotel in LPB?
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:04 PM

Check last Sunday's New York Times Travel section.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:41 PM

Depends on what you are looking for and your budget which you have not specified. IMO the Villa Santi (www.villasantihotel.com) is a perfect base to explore the city as it is right on the main road and easy to wander about. For more resorty you could consider the Pansea - www.pansea.com - is a few minutes drive from the city, gorgeous setting tho I personally did NOT have a good experience there. Villa Santi also has a resorty property and there is also the Grand - www.grandluangprabang.com - both a little farther from the center of town like 15 mins. In a lower budget Sayos I have heard is very good. If I went again I think I would stay at Auberge Le Calao, only 5 rooms for which I cannot find the webiste tho they do have email - [email protected] - but then again I have a liking for very boutiquey properties!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:47 AM

I stayed at the Pansea (now called La Residence Phou Vao) and had a wonderful time. At the time I visited, I paid US$110 including tax, breakfast. It's a beautiful property at the edge of town.

I often ate lunch at the Villa Santi. Their room prices are very high (over US$200 a night) though several people have posted that they were able to get special rates during the off season that made their rates reasonable. I've also heard mixed reviews of the rooms which leads me to believe that they have two different types of rooms in two buildings, one of which is nice, the other not so nice. There are lots of very small guest houses, some of which are quite basic, others are very nice. Le Calao noted above by hobbes gets good reviews, though it is hard to book.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 02:33 PM

i stayed at the Grand LP last week...very nice with a beautiful setting on the Mekong. It IS a bit farther away -- 15 minutes from center of town, but they have shuttle and boat service frequently. I'd stay again, but my first choice would be Villa Santi for location.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:25 PM

There was a post in the last 3 months about this exact subject. Do a search & it should come up. My choice is at www.salalao.com
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:49 PM

I would alos second lindie's recomendation for Sala Prabang
e-mail : [email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.salalao.com
we stayed there for 4 nights 7-10 December in Mekong View Room with , private balcony/bathroom ceiling fans and air condition @ 60US$ /Rm/Night including breakfast that you have on coutyard cafe overlooking mekong. It is also central and you can give alms to monks passing the hotel without enduring the Disneyworld queues of the main Road