Lucknow

Mar 9th, 2018, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Lucknow

Lucknow is a photographer's & a historian's delight.
Lucknow is extremely interesting but only if you have a good Guide to bring those 'stones' to life!
I have been to Lucknow many years previously. It stays with you. While Delhi / Mumbai have moved on, Lucknow is still in the time warp.
The Islamic cultural renaissance of the 18th/19th century finds its best expression in all that architecture of Lucknow.
Some of the best Bollywood movies have Lucknow as the chosen cultural theme. We are shepherds, they say, compared to the refined taste of a Lucknawi Nawab (feudatory chieftain).
The food street is to be found nowhere else in Asia, except at Anarkali, Lahore (Pakistan). However Awadhi Cuisine, slow cooked and great maybe, but I would prefer to go to restaurants like the Oudhiyana at the Taj.
Some food for thought, Ladies & Gentlemen!
Mar 9th, 2018, 05:11 AM

I agree that Lucknow is an interesting town to visit. I disagree that a guide (as opposed to a guidebook) is necessary. But then, I'm not in the business of providing them.

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...20/into-india/
Mar 9th, 2018, 07:43 AM

I agree that Lucknow is still a little slower than Mumbai/Delhi in time.
THe historic sites and architecture are indeed well preserved and a wonderful testament to the Muslim culture that flourished there.
My wife and I had a great time visiting there; captured here Lucknow ? Ali Karim Travelog
We did not hire a guide but used Guidebooks; not sure if we missed things as a result.
One place not to be missed is Tunday Kebab for a Kebab meal
Mar 9th, 2018, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Every one is entitled to have an opinion!
To say that a good, knowledgeable guide is not an asset, is far from truth!! If one could afford a guide, than why not.
Thanks.
Mar 9th, 2018, 09:03 PM

>>To say that a good, knowledgeable guide is not an asset, is far from truth!! <<

You have an opinion and others may have a different opinion. Both opinions are valid and neither is THE truth . . .
Mar 10th, 2018, 05:12 AM

To say that a good, knowledgeable guide is not an asset, is far from truth!!
You are entitled to your opinion. However, since you are in the business of providing guides, it is hardly disinterested and readers should consider the source.
Mar 11th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

The focus is on Lucknow and that is the purport of my posting!
You may very kindly recall your post of 22 June 2016 (Fodors) about Lucknow, which reads - “Forgot to mention that I have been to Lucknow. While it is of some interest to history buffs, it is not a particularly worthwhile destination otherwise”.
Perhaps your impression may have been different had you taken the services of a Good, Knowledgeable guide! Who knows?
Many thanks and I am not here to squabble!!
Mar 12th, 2018, 05:49 AM

And perhaps the "good, knowledgeable guide" would have bored me to tears with facts and figures I would promptly forget, or wanted to drag me off shopping, as my taxi driver did. But my main point is that if you are going to recommend guides people should know that you provide them. If you had just recommended Lucknow I would have agreed with you - for some visitors, at least.

Also, the interiors of the Imambaras were in bad shape, not that that is unusual in India, at least for Mughul sites. The Qutb Shahi tombs in Hyderabad were suffering from neglect too.
Mar 12th, 2018, 11:31 AM

I knowledgeable guide IMO makes a huge difference. We had them for 4 days in Israel. Itís like having a private history teacher by your side. To me it enhances your experience immeasurably.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Mar 12th, 2018 at 11:56 AM.
Mar 12th, 2018, 01:22 PM

When I want history I read a book. It is more likely to be impartial.
Mar 12th, 2018, 02:05 PM

That’s debatable really. In any case to each their own. I know what those guides meant to us.
Mar 18th, 2018, 07:14 AM

Thursdaysd - I definitely used to be of the same opinion as you. But in recent years we twice agreed [on spec] to have a guide and on both occasions they really enhanced the experience. One was at a castle in Spain where the guide offered his services for €2 - he was very good and of course we gave him a lot more than that. Then at the Villa Casale on Sicily we engaged a guide who was terrific. Neither of them tried to sell us anything or to drag us into any shops. I think if you tried it you might be surprised.
Mar 18th, 2018, 08:59 AM

@ann - I have tried it. I have had excellent guides on some tours (Rick Steves), a lousy guide on the one OAT tour I took (never again), and OK guides at certain sites. In general I find much of the info even from good guides either of little value (stuff I will shortly forget), or stuff I already know because I read up on places before I go there. I also object to the insistence of guides on lecturing in front of whatever it is, when they could impart the same info in comfort beforehand.

That said, if I ever make it to Florence I will want a guide to the art, and if I go back to Rome I could use one for the Forum.

But again, my major complaint about the OP was that someone who makes money from providing guides was advocating their use, and without disclosure.
Mar 18th, 2018, 09:13 AM

In the original post however he does advocate for a guide but does not identify himself as one so he does not disclose himself as a guide. I dont see any harm in this especially as in the "about me" section in his profile its empty. There is no mention there of him being a guide nor is their a link to his company. I will be fair as I used his services once and I must say he gave me a great price and was courteous and thoroughly professional. We were driven to the airport on our last day by his man, he called him while we were in route to be sure all was well and only then did we pay for the all tours we took. He trusted us to do that when I could have just left in a cab which I would never do but I think that should tell you something about his character. JM2C.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Mar 18th, 2018 at 09:20 AM.
Mar 18th, 2018, 10:05 AM

The new profiles are still a work in progress. NONE of them have links, nor do I see any way to add them.

In the original post however he does advocate for a guide but does not identify himself as one so he does not disclose himself as a guide.
That is precisely my point. He has a vested interest in the use of guides, and he should disclose that interest. Definition of vested interest (Collins): If you have a vested interest in something, you have a very strong reason for acting in a particular way, for example to protect your money, power, or reputation. Or someone advocating the use of a guide when he benefits from providing them.

If he had said "I am in the business of providing guides and I think you would benefit from one in Lucknow" I would not be complaining. although it is possible that might fall foul of the rule about not advertising, and I would still disagree about the need for one. He could, of course, simply have recommended Lucknow as a destination....
Mar 18th, 2018, 11:15 AM

I suppose we can agree to disagree, ok?

All the best.
Mar 18th, 2018, 11:34 AM

We certainly disagree, but I am baffled as to why. Do you really think it is OK for a poster to recommend a particular B&B, without disclosing that she owns it? Same thing.
Mar 18th, 2018, 11:42 AM

No but in this case he does not disclose his actual business or a link to it. Its a vast difference. There really is no comparison I think. Shall we move on? And pleas see my new post bout visas for China as I assume you have been there.
Mar 18th, 2018, 11:52 AM

It would be interesting to start this thread as being about guides, not about Lucknow,

We can all be "right" on this! I've had great guides and useless , even cheeky, guides. Of the latter, the one that took the cake was in New Delhi at Humayun's Tomb, who told my daughter "Go explore on your own while Mum and I have a cup of tea." !!!!! On the other hand, there was the guide at the Red Fort in Agra whomade people who'd lived there really come alive to the point where we could "see" people in the courtyard market place.It was a June day, and to Thursdaysd's point about comfort, he was careful to lead us out of the beating hot sun (which, as transfixed as we are by his descriptions, we hardly noticed) into the shade. In between those two have been great, good, so-so, and boring. For me, a good or great guide has made a huge difference to enjoyment and understanding of a place. The problem is, you often don't know which kind of guiding you'll have until you are at the site.

Re the original post, it did seem strangely coincidental that it popped up when Alikarim posted his marvelous photos of Lucknow on a different, earlier post. I mean, why not simply add to that post (and give Alikarim the acknowledgement due for posting on the topic) instead of starting a new thread.?

I thought Mr. Singh's ownership Legends and Palaces Travel Company was well-known here. On his website, there's even a Fodors quote from Dogster!
Mar 18th, 2018, 11:58 AM

It may be well known to the regulars but to new people he is not and he didn't link his business. if you are so inclined to use a guide then you would most probably shop around and compare to so there is no guarantee to him. Again having personally dealt with him I see it differently.

Search this Thread