Luang Prabang Hotels

Search

Luang Prabang Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luang Prabang Hotels

I'm planning a trip to Laos this September. If anyone could give me some advice on wonderful and special places to stay, I would appreciate it very much.

In Luang Prabang, I'm considering the Villa Santi, L'Auberge Calao, Apsara, and Sayo. If you have stayed in any of these, I would be so happy to get your feedback. Also, I wonder if it's better to stay in the old original building or the new annex at the Villa Santi. Thank you so much for your help.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:56 PM

I ate at the Villa Santi a number of times (good food), but did not stay there. Everyone I talked to said the rooms were disappointing, especially at the price (US$200 a night). I stayed at the Pansea at the edge of town. The rooms were huge and beautiful, and it has a swimming pool overlooking the town. It was paradise (and the food was the best we ate in Laos). I think we paid US$110 a night including tax, service and breakfast. They have a shuttle in to town whenever you want it. We loved it and would return.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 09:44 PM

Pansea is over-rated and overpriced imho. Checkout www.salalao/prabang/htm
This hotel is fabulous, right on the river and for US55 per night in Dec 2003 was a bargain. We inspected their best room but had already arranged our stay at the Pansea (I've said enough here about our disappointment with Pansea Group of Hotels) so will try not to bore anyone more than to say that the location, ambience, furnishings of the Sala Prabang are unique - superb all round and those little bars & restaurants right on the riverbank are so cheap for divine Laos food. Good luck. We'll be back!!!! btw, the Sayo was not as nice as the Sala-for similar money. We looked at 2 of their rooms and were not impressed-the location is "too backstreet" for me.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice, Kathie and Lyndie. The Villa Santi and other places all have special summer rates of $60-65 or less. Much cheaper than in the high season. I will check out your recommendations. The Sala Prabang sounds very interesting!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 08:11 PM

Auberge Calao is a charming boutique hotel with a great location. I share Lyndie's views and would NOT stay at the Pansea ever again. I understand Sayos is great value for money - ask for room # 6 or room # 4 as these are supposed to be the best.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

It's now down to Sala Prabang, Calao, or a place I've just come across, Satri House. Any other comments on any of these places? They all look wonderful. Has anyone stayed at the Satri House? It seems to be a small elegant place in town with a pool and doesn't advertise much. Thanks!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Hello again,

Just wondering if anyone has been to LP lately and can offer any more comments on the places I mentioned before. I'm still considering: Sala Prabang, Calao, Satri House, and Villa Santi. I'll be going next month. Thanks.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 11:56 PM

I quite liked the Villa Santi Annexe actually - we saw the rooms and they are very private opening into a garden. Location is fabulos. If u like boutique hotels u will like Calao - very much a homestay exp with just a few rooms. I don't know the other 2.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:18 PM

In LP stay at Sala Prabang ,the hotel is clean and good location . we were there in June .
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 11:49 PM

Hi,

We are just back having spent a week in LP. Loved it.

We stayed at the 3 Nagas guesthouse about 2 doors down from the villa santi. It was really lovely - only 7 rooms (we had room 6 with a wonderful verandah (upstairs) to sit on. about US$68 by booking direct on the net (3nagas.com) This included a very good breakfast. Very helpful staff and their restaurant across the road does excellant lao food - this and their western restaurant are both serviced by the L'Elephant which is one of the best in the town.

However despite low season the town was fairly full of people and the 3 nagas seemed to be fairly busy - so don't leave your decision too long.

Had considered the Sala Prabang which is cheaper and Satri house which is dearer but opped for 3 nagas and couldn't be happier. Satri house is owned by a lady who also has a couple of up market handicraft shops.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 08:07 PM

We stayed at the Santi in May/June at $60 a night, including breakfast and airport transfers. They have the Resort, but we stayed in town. We were initially put into the annex, but found it ?musty? so asked for a received a transfer to the main building. Rooms are small and not particularly appealing, but they are comfortable enough and the hotel is well located. We rented a van and driver from a shop next to the hotel, across from the annex.

My first choice was the Three Nagas, but for various reasons that fell through. It looked very nice. From the above post, I?m sorry we didn?t stay there. We certainly will on our next visit. I know it just lengthens your choices, but I think you should consider it.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:12 PM

Re: Sala Prabang
We shall be in Luang Prabang in Dec.
Sala Prabang is near the river. Were there any problems with mosquitos? Do they have mosquito netting for the bed?
Thank you!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 02:24 AM

Don't know if Sala Prabang has nets - email them. I'm sure they are airconded. We were at the 3 Nagas (in August) they are airconded so not a big problem for mozzies - but they also supplied a small electric mozzie coil so we could leave the doors open too. I was very surprised to find so few mozzies especially in August (wet season) I managed to get bitten once in a bar on the street (early evening) but its my fault as I hadn't bothered with repellant cause after 5 days we really hadn't had any trouble - hardly noticed one and they quite like me usually. Silly though so don't take a risk and use a repellant.

The town is only a few blocks wide at that end and has a river on each side - thought that would be a problem but in fact the breeze generated probably helped along with the fast running rivers.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Lyndie:
Thank you for the recommendation for the Sala Prabang Hotel. Stayed there for 4 nights in Dec. And no mosquitos. We were not able to book riverside room but our $50 room was just fine. Recommend to others try to get the riverside room on the 2nd floor. People who had riverside room on the 1st floor opted for room in the back as not as noisy. Breakfast is across the street at a riverside cafe and our first impression in the morning was like we were in Shangri La.