luang prabang? help!

Search

luang prabang? help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
luang prabang? help!

we will be in thailand 13 nights in november. would like to visit siem reap or luang prabang. can't decide which one! can one be done with 2 night stay? would 3 night stays be better? is there enough to see and do in luang prabang for 2 full days? help!

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:40 PM

No choice-has to be Siem Reap! Luang Prabang is a nice, small,laid-back town on the Mekong river. It is a place to re-group and chill-out. It has nowhere near the "wow factor" or historical significance that Angkor has, not to mention the wats are not all that impressive in Luang Prabang. Do not miss Angkor. There really is very little to do in Luang Prabang but go to a few waterfalls, caves or up to Nong Khai for a taste of the countryside & village culture. I love LP but Angkor is a wonder and should be seen before one leaves the planet. imho 2-3 days is plenty in Siem Reap. Others wil disagree!
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:20 PM

There is certainly enough to do and see in LP for two days (I spent a week). As I mentioned in response to our other post, it really depends on your interests. In my opinion, three nights would be better than two in LP. Do some more research to see what you want, then ask for recommendation. I know that many of us will be glad to share our recommendations about things to do and see.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 08:17 PM

Lyndie! you mean we disagree on something? (smile)
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 10:04 PM

We recently spent four nights in Luang Prabang and found plenty to do.

We arrived late in the afternoon, so the first day was taken up with settling in, dinner and the night market.

The second day we visited the Kuang Si Falls about 30 kilometres outside of town and a few villages and temples on the way back. It was all done at an easy pace and we had time for a wander around town in the late afternoon.

The third day saw us on the river visiting the Pak Ou Caves, some 25 kilometres from Luang Prabang. A private boat cost us $12.50 and we stopped off at several other places as well.

Our final full day was devoted to visiting temples and the palace museum. Nowhere near as impressive as the Grand palace in Bangkok, but quite interesting despite that and a lot more laid back that Bangkok.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:07 PM

Spygirl-agree to disagree??? However the question (as I understand it??)was a CHOICE of either LP or SR. Don't tell me you'd choose Luang Prabang over Angkor? Nah!!!Cannot be....
I love LP but would never choose it over Angkor (especially if one has not been to Angkor).
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Of course we can agree to disagree, Lyndie! But as for me, weeell, I think I have to go with my friend Tangata that there is plenty to do in Luang Prabang for a week, (and shock! I'm even agreeing with Kathie on that! (smile)

I guess the wow factor was clearly missing with me and Angkor Wat...what can I say??

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

thank you, all. glad to have created a "field" for lyndie and spygirl ! anyway, decided on LP over angor wat. shocking! spygirl, can you suggest some things to do in LP? thank you...