Longsheng Rice Fields Green in Sept?

Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Longsheng Rice Fields Green in Sept?

I am debating whether I am going to try to make the long trek on limited time to see the rice fields at Longsheng. I just want to make sure that they will be how I imagine them and have seen pictures of them, green. We will be there in the middle of Sept. and I was wondering if anyone has been during this time and whether they were green and lush or golden.
Thanks, Heather
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Wondering how they look the first of April...will they have water??? anyone??
Mar 5th, 2007, 11:16 AM

I have worked in rice fields, not in Longsheng. Spring is the planting season, 6" green seedlings are transplanted into ankle-deep water-filled rice fields, back breaking task I may add. Fall is the harvest season, the fields are dry and the golden stalks are cut with a sickle. The grains are beaten off into rice, the stalks are dried and uses for many purposes, fuel, bedding, shoes, ponchos, toys, building materials, etc.
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM

I heard there are snakes too...but spring is a long time ..March thru May.Will they plant by April 1st?
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:19 PM

Not sure, different areas have different planting times. Didn't experience snakes, the worst are leeches in the paddies, leave you legs bloodied, don't know if they are at Longsheng. You probably will not come across them if you stay on the pathes.
Mar 7th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. It sounds like they will have just harvested in Sept. and not be look like all of the green terraces of rice growing.
Thanks, Heather
Dec 6th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Hello - does anyone know what the Longsheng rice terraces will look like now in December? My guess is it may be a little bit bleak, but please let me know - i'm supposed to be going in 2 days!

TIA
Dec 6th, 2008, 08:43 AM

we went in mid sept in '05 and it was still pretty green. my friend went the following month and said it was brown.
Dec 6th, 2008, 01:50 PM

heather
here are my pics from that trip in sept 05. is this green enough?

http://web.mac.com/quimbymoy/Site/Guilin.html
Aug 27th, 2011, 11:54 AM

Would it be worth making the long trip there in mid October? I was planning on leaving the hotel in Yangshuo early in the morning wit ha driver, going to Longsheng, then to the airport at Guilin for a 4:00 pm flight. If the terraces are not that exciting when brown I may find some thing ale to do the last day of our 3 day stay in Yangshuo.
Sep 5th, 2011, 06:47 PM

I was in Longsheng mid October 2010 and while the rice terraces were brown, they were still worth a visit. Just being there and experiencing the views...green or brown is worth the drive. The mist, the views, the burning off, the people are all worthwhile. Of the four of us who stayed there, three thought Longsheng the highlight of our 3 weeks in China...