Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Long layover at Incheon, what should I do?

Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Fodorites, you always come through in a pinch so I'm hoping you will again. I'm looking at a long layover at Incheon Airport (plus 6 hours)and want to know if there's something I can do. Is it worth venturing out into Seoul? Thanks for any advice.
Jul 11th, 2004, 10:53 AM

ttt
Jul 11th, 2004, 11:28 AM

I recently read that you will not be allowed to leave Incheon airport unless you have a Korean visa. If that is correct, you might check into the hotel which is inside the airport and rent one of their rooms for some sleep. We found our room to be spotless clean, no windows (thus silent and totally dark), and with good service. Cost was about $45. Like the Incheon airport, the hotel is brand new. I think it was called the Air Garden or something like that.
Jul 11th, 2004, 12:26 PM
SD3

USNR: Where did you hear that you will not be allowed to leave the airport? Currently, for the vast majority of countries, no visa is required unless the stay is longer than 30 days (for some, it is as much as 180 days without a visa).

Jahlie: There is some info on previous posts - do a search on Incheon. You can also check out the airport's website - it has some local information.

Jul 11th, 2004, 01:49 PM

SD3: Cicerone on 6/10/04 commented on visa requirements re S. Korea; check their embassy's web site. Personally, I wouldn't waste a minute trying to get to Seoul. It's a good 30 miles away from Incheon Airport and the original poster only has 6 hours. Seoul, from my memory, isn't picturesque or even interesting, stretched for miles and miles along the Han River, smothered in pollution and tacky building.
Jul 11th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Suppose it takes 15 minutes for you to get off the plane, 30 minutes together (15 minutes each way) to clear the passport control, and two hours being in the airport before next departure; you get a mere 3 hours and 15 minutes for exploring a new city without knowing their language.

Get a good book to kill the layover if I were you.
Jul 11th, 2004, 04:07 PM

Hi...We were in a similar situation a few years ago, but decided to just stay at the airport...It would have been great to do something in Seoul, but the airport had tons of shopping, Kimchee, etc..Keeping in mind, that you will be very tired (depending on where you are coming from of course)..Have a great trip...
Jul 30th, 2004, 07:09 AM

DON'T BOTHER!
Korea is known for the crazy crazy traffic so figure if it takes about 30-40 minutes from the airport to Seoul, you'll probably get to Seoul in about oh...an hour to 2. You don't want to waste your time just riding a bus in traffic.

If you want to get a taste of Korea you could always take one of the buses to Incheon (the city area) and just walk around, try some great food and then take the bus back in time to take a rest and shop a bit. The shops in the airport are great!

Seoul is great!!! but also very large! So I recommend you come back to Korea, Seoul and take a few days to try different areas, foods and sightsee. Being in one part of Seoul and another is completely different. It's truly a city that doesn't sleep...you can shop 24hrs, eat 24hrs and experience the many sights 24hrs.
Good luck! and have a great trip.
Jul 30th, 2004, 08:22 AM

yep... sory too say but the airport is way out there it takes about an hour well at least the way I got too the city. which involved taking a shutle bus too the domestic airport then taking a LONG subway ride into the city...