London Eye in Shanghai??

Search

London Eye in Shanghai??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Eye in Shanghai??

I thought I saw mention of this on the forum but I am unable to track it down.

Can anyone tell me where the "London Eye" of Shanghai might be located and if there is any info about costs and times of operation.

Appreciate the help.

Bob
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 12:00 PM

It was probably on The Oriental-List.

The Shanghai wheel is 108m, whereas the London Eye is 135m, so not exactly on the same scale. The hideous TV tower is rather higher (and being inside it means that you don't have to look at it, either), most of the rooms in the Grand Hyatt are higher and the 88th floor viewing gallery for those who are not residents of the hotel is probably the best value for money viewing point.

I haven't yet seen a street address for the Shanghai wheel, but doubtless it will be easy enough to find once there. A ride is Y20.

Peter N-H
http://members.shaw.ca/pnhpublic/China.html
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Peter-I'm curious-is the Shanghai wheel engineered like the London Eye, in that it is not a ferris wheel, but like the spokes of a bicycle wheel, with the enclosed capsules outside of the wheel, etc? The reason I ask is that I was just in London last week, pondering how the Eye looked on the London skyline-(I decided I didn't like it on the London skyline). A colleague of mine rode it, and said it was interesting, in that you could get a perspective on the different architectural periods within the city, and that it moved very slowly, about 30 min. a rotation I believe. I guess I'm surprised to hear there is one in Shanghai, because when I was there in April I didn't see or even hear anyone mention a Shanghai wheel.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 03:16 PM

I merely read the announcement of the opening of the wheel in a notoriously unreliable Chinese travel magazine. No technical details were given.

It's always possible that it isn't there at all, but even this magazine doesn't usually make mistakes of that magnitude.

Peter N-H
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 03:28 PM

In 2002 the People's Daily announced that Shanghai planned to build the world's biggest ferris wheel, to be open in 2005 (but that doesn't mean the paper knows or cares about the difference between a ferris wheel and an observation wheel).

The announcement I saw was this:

Biggest Ferris Wheel Turns On in Shanghai

People can now enjoy a bird's eye view of Shanghai's stunning night scene from the top of the country's biggest Ferris wheel, 108 meters above the ground.

Just opened, its 63 air-conditioned cabins can accommodate 720 people an hour.

And the wheel itself adds to the color of the neon lit night: it uses new, energy efficient technology that can light it up in seven different glorious colors.

The Ferris wheel is open to 10:00 pm everyday, and the tickets cost 20 yuan, about US$2.4.

2004/04/29
Source:CRI

So note that despite the ambiguity of the headline, this is the country's biggest, and not the world's biggest. Apparently Singapore and Las Vegas as also planning to build the biggest (observation or ferris, who knows?) wheels at 170m to 180m.

According to one architecture site, the Shanghai wheel originally announced will be 200m high, and will open on the North Bund. The site says it's a ferris wheel, not an observation wheel like the London Eye.

Terms:

Ferris wheel: gondolas may or may not be enclosed, hang within the body of the structure, and are kept level by gravity; wheel is supported on twin towers

Observation wheel: gondolas enclosed, hang outside the structure, are kept level by mechanical means; wheel is supported by single frame on one side.

Peter N-H
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 03:33 PM

A "notoriously unreliable Chinese travel magazine" but Peter, don't you say that about EVERY travel matter connected with China, and the Chinese Govt.? (I'm laughing) However, I must say, based on my limited experience with the Chinese Govt. tour guides in Beijing-who cheerfully fill the unsuspecting Western tourists with a load of revisionist crap about the Forbidden City, and other aspects of Chinese dynastic history, you're quite right!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 03:39 PM

thanks-Peter-that's interesting-truthful or not!
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thx Peter for the info.

I'm sure I'll see it when we get there!!

Happy trails.

Bob
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:28 PM

I'm confused... is this something that's already open? I was just in Shanghai and didn't see or hear anything about a "Shanghai Eye"
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:50 PM

I know, Patty, same here. That's what I said to Peter, above.