Search

Mae Hong Son

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 02:52 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mae Hong Son

Based on raves from Lyndie and others, we were thinking about two nights at Fern Resort in Mae Hong Son. Since we're not trekkers, will there be enough for us to see/do? Will we be able to get to waterfalls and other areas of natural beauty without doing too much hiking? I also do not feel comfortable going to hilltribes (especially the long neck villages) as a tourist because I feel we will just be "gawkers". Is Mae Hong Son for us?
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:51 AM

The Fern resort is the place if you want to unwind, relax under a tree with a great novel, it is a calming place, try this link for photos to give you an idea of what's around.
http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/thai/fern/details/
Here's another for the Riverside Hotel, although very different in style from Fern it gives you an idea of what else is in the area:
http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/th...rside/details/
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:59 PM

Hi CFW-the Karen staff at Fern Resort are not long neck Karen. They are beautiful, tranquil people who come from their village in the mountains, daily, to work at Fern. Of course, some live in at the resort. MHS is not a village- more like a town with shops (OK they are not fabulous) with some nice handicrafts etc. We saw no longneck Karen. Re waterfalls, rivers etc - there are some great walks around the resort (0.5-2 hrs duration )in the National Park and also the staff can get a tag-along trip with a guide if you want to do longer walks in the park, further away from the resort. You could hire a car from the resort, maybe, and drive up into the belly of the park for a look at the glorious forest surrounding the Fern Resort. Wait until you see the dog guides-they are so cute! I'm a dog lover so enjoyed our walks so much! Pls post if you go, and let us know if it measured up to my raves, for you. There is something so spiritual and natural(imho) about these places, Fern & MHS. The pool at Fern and the little creek with bamboo viaducts & water falls is lovely and relaxing. Sorry to go on! Enjoy whatever you decide to do. Don't forget to ask the staff to show you their wonderful woven throws & wall hangings etc.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:03 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Thanks, Lyndie. What time of year were you there? How were the mosquitoes?
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 09:23 PM

Hi CFW- July 2003 so weather was warm to hot days (30-33C)nights cool at around 25C (perfect. Not as humid as Bangkok! A little rainy in the morning and night and we took Bushman's DEET spray. Didn't get bitten. All the windows have screens from memory. I'm allergic to anti-malarial & allergic to mosquitos big time but that DEET works a miracle. May be bad for my kidneys or liver or whatever! Wear long sleeves and long pants. When are you going? The staff said November is best time up there. July didn't bother us at all!
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:33 AM
CFW
Original Poster

We're going in February. Did you wear long sleeves & long pants during the warm days, or just evenings when I understand the mosquitoes are worst? Thought we would spend 5-6 nights in Bangkok, then fly to Mae Hong Son (via Chiang Mai) for 2 nights at the Fern Resort, then 3-4 nights in Chiang Mai, 3 nights at the Royal Meridien Yacht Club in Phuket, travel to Koh Lanta for 2 nights at the Pimilai, then back to Bangkok for a day or two, and then home to Connecticut. I know many on this site prefer Bangkok to Chiang Mai, but I think we might like Chiang Mai because of the activities nearby - elephant conservation camp, orchid farms, and what sounds like more low-key (and less expensive) shopping and crafts factories. Thought we also might do a cooking class there and though we're not staying at the Four Seasons (beyond our budget)I thought we might at least go to the spa there, which I understand is fabulous. What do you think?
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Light coloured (cotton)long sleeved shirts & pants at night. During the day not such a problem but still used DEET twice a day. I think they lit mossie coils under our table at night, cannot remember for sure. Take some with you. Feb should be nice, can be cool nights though. Take lightweight cotton jumper or cardigan. Synthetics are awful in Thailand's humidity.
Your trip outline sounds perfect to me-then I'm not a worrier about travelling around quickly or what the weather will be like. We just get on that plane & go for it. I get bored easily and 2-3 days anywhere is enough for me {except Krabi (Railay West) & Fern Resort!}I love Chiang Mai, I'm not a fan of Bangkok so my opinion is biased. We hired a car and drove out to the Four Seasons for a look on our way to MHS-gorgeous resort. Chiang Mai has lots of wonderful places to shop for celadon crockery, silk etc. Hired a guide/car from our hotel who probably got 25-50% commission but we landed some great deals at the factory outlets on silk & crockery etc. Chiang Mai night market is great fun for copy brands & DVD's, CD's are so cheap. Quality OK too. We almost always buy DVD's where the original movie has been released for a month or two. New movies are filmed then copied from theatre viewing so not very good quality. Ban Sabai spa is cheap around 1000 baht for the works. You'll love it! Eat at the food court in the night market. 40-60 baht for big dinner plate. Whole Earth vegetarian is lovely thai house for lunch. Great food & cold beer! Timeout guide for Bangkok, Chiang Mai & the islands (all in one book) is tops for research & ideas. I LOVE CHIANG MAI!!! Have a great trip-the waiting is the killer!!