Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anybody know of Wedgwood shops in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2004, 04:05 PM
weenie57

Does anybody know of any shops in London which would speiclaize in hard-to-find or discontinued Wedgwood china patterns? Thanks!

Old Jan 11th, 2004, 04:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you tried replacements.com? They have boatloads of Wedgwood discontintued and current patterns. Most of what you find in London is very current and high priced. Sorry to be negative, buy I think some intensive internet research will yield better results.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 04:22 PM
dln

I always go to Reject China Shops when I'm in England. If you google it, you'll come up with a few links. Obxgirl is right, though, about the prices! I've given up buying teacups and teapots in the UK because I can find them cheaper here, at stores like TJ Maxx and Tuesday Morning. Not to mention the convenience of not having to lug them across an ocean.

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:56 AM
weenie57

My china originally came from an "outlet" type store in London in 1982 (that isn't there anymore) and was a pattern only sold in Europe. Replacements.com has some pieces ($50 per plate!!!). My sister goes to London regularly, so I thought I might be able to send her on a little mission. I'll check out Reject China. Thanks!

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 04:10 AM
dln

Weenie, you'll get a kick out of this story. When I married, I bought a Royal Doulton pattern called Southdown at the Royal Doulton outlet in Kittery Maine. I bought it as much because I liked it as for the fact that my husband travelled regularly to England, and I thought I could have him pick up pieces for me at half the price found in the US. On our first trip to England together, we began looking for our pattern. Couldn't find it anywhere! Looked frantically everywhere, with departure day looming close. Finally tried Harrods, where they pulled out the master inventory book for Royal Doulton.

They told me Southdown was an "export only" pattern, and that I'd have to go home if I wanted to buy more pieces! It simply was not, and had never been, available in England.

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is one in Regents Street,about half way down.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 05:45 AM
weenie57

Interesting lead infomania! The place I originally ought the china was on Regent St #158. The label on the box says, Gered, 158 Regent St, London W1R 5TA, 173/174 Piccadilly, London WIV 0PD. And then it says "Wedgwood Group." Could this store still be on Regent St? Would you have a phone number or anything? Thank you very much.

dln - That is an interesting story. Like the reverse of my problem!

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 03:57 AM

Hi Weenie,

Although the shop is named Wedgewood,it appears to be part of the Chinacraft chain (an authorised Wedgewood dealer).Go to WWW.wedgewood.com for the complete list of dealers in London. They might know of collecting groups or dealers
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 08:25 AM

You might try stopping in at Fine China, Ltd., in the London Silver Vaults. Just going there is an experience of its own.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:02 AM

My absolute favorite place for fill-in china pieces is EBay. Just type Wedgewood and your pattern name into the search box. Good luck!