Living and Working in Asia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've come across so many sites and I was wondering if anyone could narrow down my search with some legit ones.

I'm thinking in about 1-2 years I'd like to try my hand at living in Asia and posssibly starting a business. Living there may very well be long term to permanant.
Some countries I maybe interested in would be Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam,Taiwan or any other country that would be friendly to a single african-american women that anyone can please suggest.

I've travelled to Europe many times,not the cheapest place to visit much less live.

Thanks for any assitance in this matter. I intend to do a lot of research before my move,thus why I've given myself a 2 year window.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 06:45 PM

my immediate comment would be to do your visa research carefully....that is one of the most important things to understand...

thailand is full of expats...many of them deal with the 30 visa and just go across the border and have it renewed upon return....that would get old real quick i think...

a lot may depend on what you intend to do for work....many countries would limit you from working, unless you have some skill they want and need...
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks

I'm an electrician so I can see that being useful where ever I go.

So, I'm assuming you live in Thailand? Is that a welcoming place for a single black female?

I know a few people that have lived in european countries and had difficulties finding work and visas were an issue.

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 07:46 PM

sorry i live in usa but go often to thailand...

black lady friends say there is no problem what so ever in thailand...it has been written about some here on this forum...not working, just travelling...

working overseas is a problem however...without working papers you can get in lots of trouble--i.e. jail...most countries are very strict about this..its best to get a job and then follow the job to the country...i am sure there are lots of overseas agencies that can help with this, espcecially with your favorable occ...

good luck
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 07:58 PM

tzarinna, I'm an American who has lived in Asia for 15 years, in Hong Kong and in Jakarta.

rhkkmk is correct that the first thing you need to think about is how to secure a work visa. The easiest way to do this is to have a sponsor, which is basically an employer.

As an electrian you could certainly fulfill a specific technical job for which there is demonstrated need. I'd suggest that you get in touch with some of the NGO's that do contract work for USAID in the countries that you're interested in.

Taiwan seems to be out of place with the other countries that you list. Indonesia or Laos would be a better fit. There aren't too many African Americans living in any of these countries. I wouldn't say that you would treated in an unfriendly manner, but you may find a good deal of curiosity.

Indonesia offers a high level of life style and creature comforts for expatriates and a very good value. Your dollar will go far here. In Jakarta and Bali there is a critical mass of youngish foreigners -- European, Australian and American -- involved mostly in economic or humanitarian projects. They seem to really enjoy it.

Are you interested in an urban or a rural environment?
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Cool thanks

I'm also looking for a site that can aide and assist in my search to work abroad.

Monster.com has jobs abroad and there seems to be an abundance of jobs to teach english which could be a stepping stone.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

marmot

"Are you interested in an urban or a rural environment?"

I think I would go with something more urban, although I'd rather perfer rural, but think too rural and I'd be be even more out of place.

"There aren't too many African Americans living in any of these countries"

Thus a porblem, I tend to want to explore the world but it's a bit of hinderence.

Indonesia, Jakarta and Bali seems like a good list thanks I'll check it out.

So Visa and then decide it would be a lot easier if people of color weren't such an oddity to so many

Again thanks rhkkmk and marmot
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 08:45 PM

I've been living in bangkok thailand for about 4 years.

I'm going to try to post honestly and blunt, so don't be too offended. actually I asked my thai girlfraind this question and I had to revise my original reply a bit.

Rght of the bat, You will be thought as being African especially Nigerian.

Black men get the biggest brunt of what ever racism their may be. black women are treated differently since there are so few. If you dress conservatively Thais may think your a business lady. and if you dress a bit sexy people may think your just a tourist. I originally posted that if you dressed conservatively people would think your a Nigerian working in the garment district. but my GF reminded me that these ladies rarely leave the Pratunam area So there is not much a stereotype.

Unfortunately I think you may find in some cases that people will may walk away from You or not want to be next to you Because of your color. but you may get that where ever you go.

I'm hispanic American/Colombian and some Thais think I'm "Muslim" especially when I forget to shave. And I've noticed Thais move away from me inside the BTS. But this is rare, maybe my deodorant ran out.

As far as racism is concerned you may not notice anything to different then you may get in the USA. especially in the northern states. where many people may be racist but keep it to themselves but show it more in their body language.

After what I've said. I must say the most of the cases which you may have considered racist, had more to do with the language issue most thais don't speak english and rather not deal with you.
-----
WORK

Your options are teaching english, inport/ export, or being a staff worker of a multi national company. actually there are a few other options but you can count them with your fingers and most are illegal.

Your craft will be lost here. there are to many Thais willing to work for $2 a day. and it's also illegal for a company to hire a foreigner to a job a Thai citizen can do.

-------
www.thaivisa.com is one of the best Thailand expat sites on the net. Good foram there as well most of yuor questions should be answered.

------

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much,orgy7

I noticed alot of Nigerians migrating to work in Irealand and there's some issues with that. Although I think there's a lot of work there for electrcians with the economic boom rising.

That's a shame about the mindset. I want solitude, but not isolation

*sigh*

I suppose I could go back to my original plan of work through the state dept, although they seem to want to hire folks for the middle east.

Thanks for the link, I shall start there

I appreciate everyones reponse,it's putting things in a better perspective.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 11:41 PM

Take a look at this website: http://www.usaid.gov/careers/

Indonesia has had so many disasters lately that there's a major influx companies involved with aid and reconstruction.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Right on
Thanks,marmot