Left-Handed in India?

Old May 1st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left-Handed in India?

All the guidebooks I've read warn me about my left-handedness in India. Apparently eating with one's left hand is considered really gross.

But I know that as much as I'll try to be culturally sensitive, I'll inevitably slip up. So I was wondering - in real life (as opposed to guidebook life) - does it really make a difference to the average Indian who I might encounter in a restaurant or hotel, as to which hand a foreigner uses to eat? Do I need to write a reminder on my palm and then sit on my left hand so I'm sure not to use it? Or can I just relax and instead spend my time worrying about the many other things I'm worrying about regarding my trip???
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:01 PM

Yes you can stop worrying.
I have just returned from 6 weeks in India and was likewise worried about this one. No problem at all. I was in Indian style restaurants most of the time and no-one bothered at all. They would bring a spoon and fork on request when I found it just too messy eating with my hand!
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM

As a tourist, no one will care. The only exception is if you visit a Hindu temple and take an offering from the priest, he will only place it in your right hand. For everything else, you will be fine.
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:53 PM

i'm left handed and had no trouble what so ever...
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:17 PM

Yep, relax nuts. Me too. The ONLY time it was kinda noticed was in very, very down market places. And I'm talking $1 a meal places... and even then, a smile, a shrug, a head-wiggle and a 'you eat youe way.. I eat my way' works a charm. It's a fair point to be concerned about tho', and 10/10 you for being aware of the issues. I've taught myself to eat with my right hand if there's no implements [with the help of a lot of napkins]. But frankly, the number of times you'll be eating down market, with your fingers is kinda limited... lol.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

I should have done a better search, I now see that this topic has been brought up before. But thanks for the reassurance, my southpaw friends! Actually, I might be selling my ambidextrousness short, I didn't exactly starve when I fractured my left arm, or the time I cracked my left collarbone. Now, chopsticks with the right hand might be another story, thank goodness I don't have to worry about that on this trip!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:56 AM

Yes no worries. My hubby is LH & he had no issues at all.