India as a destination

Nov 15th, 2018, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

India as a destination

seeing some of the questions and comments on India and evaluating it as a worthy destination I wanted to say (after 40 years in the special interest travel realm in India), that there are two key things to ensure that the traveller has a memorable experience.

Firstly: to not fall into the trap of looking for anything "typically Indian"! India is so diverse and multifacted that this is a misnomer. Eg typically Indian food? no no...there is mughlai or frontier (the tandoori chickens and naans), Goan (pork vindaloo or prawn curry) and so on for all thirty two states.
The other is that India is a place one ends up loving or hating with very little in between. To ensure that you fall in love with India, your provider must ensure that the pre orientation information is honest and the visitor is mentally prepared as to what to expect eg on the roads etc.

India has an unlimited capacity to enchant (or indeed frustrate) and it is an experienced and well versed provider who can ensure the former.
Nov 16th, 2018, 07:24 AM

This is quite true as we’ve been to India 7 times. Providers I’ve heard recommended here include:
Cox and Kings
Mr. VP Singh whom we used and recommend at www.legendsandpalaces.com

There are others too, just can’t recall.

All li the best

Larry
Nov 23rd, 2018, 02:14 AM

I still remember my first time. I was a bit irritated with all the traffic and gawkers. When I left I was sure I would never come back here, yet I came back here again and again. It's my 5th time in India. I can’t exactly put my finger on it, but something keeps making me want to come back here. It could be the food (I’m a foodie and found out that I quite like Indian food) or the culture or the atmosphere. The temples and palaces and the fascinating tales they unfold all have piqued my attention. I have always wondered how a land could be this diverse. The diversity in culture, tradition, language, food, clothes lifestyle - all these captivates the attention. In my 5 travels here, I have enjoyed the culture, food and other scenic beauty of three place - Kashmir, Mumbai and Bangalore. I’m sure I will be back to quench my curiosity regarding other states and enjoy what they have to offer.
Jan 2nd, 2019, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by jacketwatch View Post
This is quite true as we’ve been to India 7 times. Providers I’ve heard recommended here include:
Cox and Kings
Mr. VP Singh whom we used and recommend at www.legendsandpalaces.com

There are others too, just can’t recall.

All li the best

Larry
Not sure about Cox and Kings, but I've heard Castle and Kings being recommended here multiple times.
Jan 3rd, 2019, 05:32 AM

I think you are correct, thank you.
Apr 9th, 2019, 10:41 PM

As if you are planning to visit India, then I would suggest to visit Goa because this the best place for the traveler to go there and enjoy the cruise yacht of Goa, also many water-related activities like scuba diving fishing, etc.
Apr 10th, 2019, 03:28 AM

“The other is that India is a place one ends up loving or hating with very little in between. To ensure that you fall in love with India, your provider must ensure that the pre orientation information is honest and the visitor is mentally prepared as to what to expect eg on the roads etc.”

This is so true... I was petrified when I had to go to India on business for the first time and my boss had honestly told me what to expect. He also added: “You never know - you might like India”. How right he was! After my first very busy trips to Mumbai, I traveled to New Delhi and managed to carve out a weekend for Agra. Seeing Taj Mahal was an ethereal experience and exploring New Delhi was something I will always cherish in my memories.

I love Northern India food, vibrant markets, amazing crafts, bright colors of saris, luxury hotels, and even unimaginable chaos on the streets of Mumbai and Delhi.

Having said all that, the people of India have always been and always will be the main magnet for me. Their kindness, hospitality, energy, resilience and strength literally have no bounds. I have so many good friends there who made my life richer and much more meaningful.
Apr 12th, 2019, 12:04 PM

India....a hundred wonders waiting (thx Patrick Leigh Fermour).
I am done. The bhang.
Apr 13th, 2019, 07:17 PM

I took just a short trip to India with Kensington Tours, with just the two of us along with a driver. We went to Delhi, Agra, and Jaipur. On arrival in each city we were greeted by someone from the tour company to assist us in checking in. There was a different guide in each city. It was just a seven day tour. The sights and sounds of India are haunting, and the grandeur is stunning. Were I to plan it again, I would do an additional day in each city. The hotels (Oberoi) were so beautiful that I would want more time to enjoy each one.
Apr 14th, 2019, 09:12 PM

"Having said all that, the people of India have always been and always will be the main magnet for me. Their kindness, hospitality, energy, resilience and strength literally have no bounds."

Agree 100%, Vinonobile! I too keep returning, seeing both different and favorite areas, but what pulls me back is in large part the people there.

I was fortunate, on the second trip, to (after much research) find a fantastic India-based agency, Indianpanorama. They've helped with planning nearly every trip since. Whether using this or another of the recommended travel companies, a great agency will add to your understanding and experience of India.
Apr 24th, 2019, 11:13 AM

Some of the best places to visit in India are - Kerala, Mumbai ( the metro city ), Jammu & Kashmir ( Heavenly ), Gujarat and many more.