Lebua at State Tower in Bangkok-sale

Dec 31st, 2010, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Lebua at State Tower in Bangkok-sale

I just checked my e-mail and www.jetsetter.com sent over an e-mail announcing the Lebua sale that's on for one week. There are different size rooms staring from the 710- square foot ones with river view balcony, starting from $100. a night up to the 2,012 square foot, 2 bedroom, private balcony ones starting from $195 a night.

Jetsetter has accommodation sales as well as trips, for all over the world, and that sell out very fast. Happy Travels!
Dec 31st, 2010, 05:03 PM

This time next week dh & I will be at Lebua at State Tower. I got a Crazy Deal through Asia Rooms. Have never stayed there before, but will be there for the first two nights in BKK - then moving to the Riverside Marriott for a week. The Crazy Deal was (pre paid) $85 per night incl of all taxes and breakfast for both of us. Will report how it was.

I don't expect a river view for this deal, however, it did say we get a balcony... Whatever, for two nights am sure it will be fine.
Sue
Dec 31st, 2010, 09:26 PM

i think every room in that building has a balcony....it is the state building at the corner of silom and new roads....the one with the famous sky bar in it....

part of the building is a very lux hotel...

its a great location...
Jan 1st, 2011, 07:36 AM

Yep and one of my most favourite bars too.
Jan 1st, 2011, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

I had a walk through of Lebua years ago when it had a different name. I wrote about it in one of my trip reports. Happy Travels!
Jan 3rd, 2011, 09:37 PM

There are two bars on the 64th floor of the State Tower: an indoor one "distil" with a porch facing the river, and outdoor one "Sky Bar"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/3061440262/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/3791558032/
Jan 3rd, 2011, 10:43 PM

Sky Bar is the favorite one.
Jan 4th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Yep sky bar is my favourite. We got to try Vertigo at the Banyan tree this trip and I still much prefer Sky bar at State towers.
Jan 4th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Mo

I too received jettsetters e mail about the sale. Where exactly is this hotel located? I can't picture it. Is it right on the river as jettsetter says. I stayed at the Royal Orchard Sheraton a couple yrs ago and loved the location and was looking into staying here again this spring but this hotel looks really nice. Thanks for any info.
Jan 4th, 2011, 04:19 PM

No, it's not right on the river. It's at least a kilometer or so from the river. There are rooms that have river views (but then there are rooms at the Emporium that have river views, and you probably know how far that is from the river). Google it, and you can see it on a map.

When Guen reviewed LeBua, she thought the rooms were quite dark. Other reviews have also not been that favorable, people here have felt it was not up to 5 star standards. I also don't especially like the location. It's not close (walkable) to a skytrain station. On the other hand, for that price you might well be willing to put up with those things.
Jan 4th, 2011, 05:36 PM

I will be checking in there (Lebua) this Friday at midnight (just for 2 days) Have not been there before but thanks to this site found a "crazy deal" with Asia Rooms. I've read about it on trip report and it seems like a nice place with very favorable reviews, however, it is not really near the BTS train and is a couple of blocks from the river (as I recall). Perhaps Bob can tell me if I'm right about this, however, I seem to remember it's near to Harmonique, is that right? a short walk?
Also, I think it's close to or on the street that has lots of wonderful strings of beads of every kind and silver shops? Am I right on that? or am I thinking of another building that looks like a very tall tower in that general area?
Also, I'm thinking that Lebua has two hotels, one is a super luxe on the highest floors, and perhaps another on floors something like 16-22 also nice but not offering the river view.

The dearth of our time in BKK will be directly on the river at the Marriott where we have happily stayed several times before, There are fans of this property on this site. Many people on the Asia board like the Royal Orchid Sheraton, while others swear by the Penninsula (a little too pricey for me -however as a Platinum Marriott I'm staying for free on a Marriott award with all kinds of upgrades so will not even be looking at another property) I do think staying on the river, with a river view is really wonderful. Last time we were at the Hilton on the River and the view from their Executive Lounge is spectacular. I also think that the Shangrila is riverside but don't recall reading reviews about that here.
Jan 4th, 2011, 06:41 PM

Sue, LeBua is not a walk from Harmonique (the Royal Orchid Sheraton is), nor it is a walk to the silver shops. As you know, it's hard to count "blocks" in Bangkok, but looking at the map, I count it as 9 blocks from the street the silver shops are on, and it's another long block to the river. It is likely farther than that since the map usually doesn't show all of the streets.

Google Le Bua Bangkok and you'll see a small map, click on it, then enlarge it a bit and you'll be able to see the river and where it is in relation to the river.

Do let us know how you like LeBua. I think it's all one hotel, but you can tell us when you've stayed there.
Jan 4th, 2011, 08:03 PM

i think you could walk there... i couldn't but the average person could...

new road or its continuation meets silom road behind the shangri-la hotel roughly.... this tower is right there....it is closer to the river than the holiday inn silom if you know where that is... closer by one block.

you could walk to the ROS, to harmonique and to tongue thai...i of course would take a taxi.... the silver shops are right there too....don't miss lim silver on oriental lane and also on the near-by soi that tongue thai is on... finer silver, imo, than the shops along new road...

also don't miss himili cha cha indian restaurant at soi 47---reasonable and delicious!! it is directly in back of the oriental hotel and tongue thai on the other side of new road..
Jan 4th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

When I took a taxi over to Lebua, back in the day when it was named something else, I went to the end of Silom Rd. and then got out of the taxi there and walked a bit. So, it's in Silom area. It's not on the river. Happy Travels!
Jan 5th, 2011, 10:10 AM

OK, thanks I'm sure that it's the VERY tall building I seem to remember. And, will for sure visit at least one of those restaurants Bob. We do a lot of walking in BKK and use the River taxis and BTS a lot, not so many taxis though as the traffic is so heavy most of the time. Have never been to tongue tie because if we have a taste for good Thai food we would choose Harmonique as it's in the same general area. I know we should try many different places, but when you've never had a bad dish at a place it's hard to pass it up to risk something else that might not be as good.
Will report on LeBua in a few days. Leaving early tomorrow morning and will be enjoying Biz Class on JAL sipping some French Champagne in flight, this time tomorrow.
Sue
Jan 5th, 2011, 12:20 PM

I have walked from both the oriental and the peninsula pier. It's an easy walk
Jan 8th, 2011, 02:27 AM

I'm Here !!!!!
Re Lebua at State Tower--- Wow, wow wow.
I told you all, that thanks to a poster on Fodors, I went to Asia Rooms and bought a 2 night "crazy deal" I think it was about $87 (US) a night inclusive of taxes and VAT.
We arrived at midnight on Friday and upon check in, were upgraded after I had asked if we would have a river view.
Well, they have us in a suite on the 56th floor that is bigger than our home at home. It is amazing, a huge entryway, to the right is a beautiful full kitchen stocked with lovely teas and coffees, shortbread and nuts , off there is the laundry room with washer/dryer , there is a MASSIVE dining room/lounge, A main table seating 10 three sofas another smaller table to set up as an office with tons of cupboard space, live orchid plants, flatscreens in all rooms, free internet, three, yes three bedrooms, (a choice of 9 different kinds of pillows) 2.5 all marble bathrooms with luxe ameneties in huge sizes (Bvlgari)thick wonderful bathrobes, tons of monogrammed towels including wonderful bath sheets. OH and did I mention that we have FOUR balconies, and they look down over the oft talked about Sky Bar, and yes a river view.
It gets better, we went for the full buffet breakfast which is included. Fantastic, one of those several stations affairs indoor or outdoor dining and I can't think of anything from any cuisine that was not available. Very high quality, lovely food. In fact we ate breakfast at 10:00 AM this morning and we have not wanted anything else yet today and will be leaving shortly for our first Thai meal at Harmonique at 7:30. We just popped in there after coming back from a trip on the River Taxi and made a reservation. We saw your Himalay Cha Cha place too Bob and picked up their menu for later in the trip.
So very happy to be back in BKK will continue my report in another posting, but time to get ready to hoof it over to Harmonique.
Sue
Oh and, whomever it was that posted here about the Asia Rooms Crazy Deals, THANK YOU, this is sweet! One more night here then it's over to the Riverside Marriott for a week. They are going to have a job beating this place now, even though I'm a Marriott Platinum. I've been upgradespoiled.
Jan 8th, 2011, 02:40 AM

So glad ( and envious) you are in BKK sounds FABULOUS. Keep the updates coming!!
Jan 8th, 2011, 06:21 AM

Sounds fabulous, Sue. Wish I were still there. After three weeks in BKK, I'm back home to single digit temperatures! No more dining outside until maybe April/May?? Ugh!

Anyway, your suite sounds fantastic. Enjoy it!

Carol
Jan 8th, 2011, 08:30 AM

Ah, those wonderful upgrades! Fabulous, Sue!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO