Leaving in a few days...

Search

Leaving in a few days...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving in a few days...

I wrote in a month or two ago when I was planning my trip this summer. I worried about cancelling with the unrest in Bangkok, but, thankfully, waited it out. We're leaving on Monday on Cathay for Bangkok - and then we head up to Burma. We will arrive in the early evening, spend the night at the Penn,have a full day, spend another night and leave on an early flight to Yangon. This part of my trip I probably should have organized differently: 2 nights at an expensive hotel with hardly any time to do anything. At this point, however, I'm trying to make the best of it - use the time to get over jet lag in luxury. We will be back in Bangkok later in our trip, and will visit the city more then. Keeping this in mind: any advice would be welcome. Do massages seem to help with jet lag? Any restaurant reccomendations that will be close or easy to get to - or should I bite the bullet and splurge on a restaurant at the hotel?
I have a couple of last minute questions: We made our arrangements, as many of you have, through Santa Maria. I haven't had any contact from them since I received a confirmation about my deposit about a month ago. I've written to be sure I'm all set, but nothing back... I just emailed them again before writing this - just to be sure I'm correct that we'll be met at the airport, etc - but it's still night in Burma. Anyway - should I be doing anything else to be sure we're on track? Also - we didn't hire any private guides. M.M. from Santa Maria had said I could do this at the last minute. I've been ambivelent. I want this trip to be slow paced. I want to look and see and play much of it by ear. My daughter, who is now 13, is easy going and was a good travel companion for a month in China when she was only 7 - but I want to help her love travel the way I do. I want her to have a feel for the countries we visit, more than getting history lessons (she still has 2 more days of school, and deserves some kind of holiday!). If any of you who have travelled to Burma think I really should have a guide, maybe you could advise. One thought is that I'd like to meet people beyond our hotels; I'm just not sure that hiring guides is the way to do that. By the way - I wrote to your pony cart driver, Kathie. He's written a few times, and seems totally charming. That's the sort of touring I think will work best for us.
Another question about entering Burma. I just bought an ipad to use instead of a laptop. Will I have any problems bringing it into the country? I just saw on some online site that electronics have to be left at the airport. Does anyone know anything about this?
From Burma we go to the Anantara Golden Triangle. Is there any way to get there from the airport other than arranging with the resort for pick up? Has anyone been able to get there successfully with a taxi? Frankly, my only concern here is how expensive the hotel pick up is. Again - I may just cave in for the convenience.
Back in Bangkok. Last time I was there was on a tour and it was pre-BTS. Although I've travelled a lot - inependently and with small adventure travel groups - I'm not at all familiar with public transportation in Bangkok. Am I right in thinking it will be easy to figure out?
Last 3 days will be Hong Kong. I'm trying to book tickets to hear traditional Chinese music, if possible. I see there is an orchestra playing one night while we're there, and wondered if anyone had feedback on this sort of thing. My daughter plays the erhu, and I may purchase one for her when we're in H.K. Is there anyone experienced with music stores that sell traditional Chinese instruments? I have found one or two online, but advice is always welcome.
Ok - I'm sure I have more last minute questions, but I'll leave let it be for now ~
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:22 PM

The info about leaving electronics at the airport in Burma is over a decade old. No problem taking your electronics with you.

If you arranged to have Santa Maria pick you up at the airport, I'm sure they will be there. What's the worst thing that could happen? You wouldn't connect with them at the airport and you'd take a taxi to your hotel. No big deal. And they are right, if you want a guide, him him/her on the spot. We did not use guides (with the exception of our horsecart driver), and felt no need to.

The easiest thing for the Anantara is to have them manage the transfer. However, I'm sure a taxi can get you there. When I went (years ago) they had just opened, and it might have been more difficult to take a taxi then.

The Skytrain is very easy to figure out in Bangkok. Just pick up a map/brochure. Buy a multi-use ticket and you are on your way.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:12 PM

i rented a car in chiang rai and drove myself and was glad i had a car as the hotel is quite remote on a day to day basis..its fun to get out on your own.....driving is easy and there is no traffic...

bkk restaurants: the chinese rest. on the lower level of the penn is very good, esp. for dim sum....

take the boat across the river and ask to be dropped off at the oriental....walk through the hotel and through OP place in back of it....on the next soi there is tongue thai which is very good...

harmonique is also good....take a taxi from the penn...
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM

Some thoughts on your questions are below:

<i>Do massages seem to help with jet lag? </i> Yes they certainly can. Getting to bed at an early hour the first and second night can also be very helpful in my experience. Therefore, a relaxing Swedish massage before bedtime on the first or second night may help you get to sleep. If you find yourself up very early in the am on the first morning and simply can’t get back to sleep, go to the gym or use the pool (assuming the latter is open, I believe the gym at the Penn is open 24 hours.) Avoid the temptation to nap in the afternoon of the first day, as that will really affect your ability to sleep through the night. Something like a Thai massage, which is more invigorating than relaxing (at least to me), may help wake you up in the middle of the day. In any event, you might want to make a booking before you leave for a massage or two if you are thinking of using the Penn’s spa.

<i>Any restaurant recommendations that will be close or easy to get to - or should I bite the bullet and splurge on a restaurant at the hotel?</i> I assume you mean for dinner. If I understand your itin correctly, you have two nights in Bangkok before you leave for Burma. I assume you won’t want to go out for a meal on the night you arrive, so perhaps dinner at the hotel that night would be the best choice. I like sitting by the riverside outside on the Penn’s terrace, or room service also works for me too. On your other night, you have choices in the area, including things like the restaurants on top of the State Tower building on Silom which offers spectacular views (this is walkable after you cross the river on the Penn’s boat) or the Oriental Hotel. (They have several options, including a very good Chinese restaurant in a building just outside the hotel, or even do something like the Thai dancing evening at the Sala restaurant.) The Hilton just down river from the Penn has several nice restaurants (Flow is nice for a mix of cuisine choices and a pretty setting with a nice big deck). You could also take the Penn’s boat to something like the River City Shopping Mall where there are less expensive, more casual restaurants with nice river views. It would not be necessary to travel far. It would depend on what you want, your budget, etc.

<i>Another question about entering Burma. I just bought an ipad to use instead of a laptop. Will I have any problems bringing it into the country? I just saw on some online site that electronics have to be left at the airport. Does anyone know anything about this?</i> It is my understanding that you may be required to register your electronic devices when you arrive. This is to ensure that you do not sell or give them to someone in Burma. I am not aware that you have to leave items with the Customs authorities during your trip, but given the ever-changing situation there, it would not surprise me if that were the case. If that occurs, the best you can do is get a receipt (hopefully with some English in it) and hope that it will be returned to you. If you are leaving from an entryway other than the airport you arrived into, reclaiming the item may be a bit of an issue for you. (Also be aware that the requirement that you “leave” the item with the Customs people may in fact simply be a request for a small bribe from you to be able to take the item with you. A tricky situation indeed. You might ask if you can leave a “deposit” against the right to take the item in with you. You will then conveniently forget to ask for a receipt for the deposit. And what goes unsaid of course is that you will never try to collect the deposit when you leave Burma.) You may want to search the Lonely Planet forum (Thorn Tree Posts) to see if there is recent info on this. Also perhaps take a look at the website for the Burmese Embassy in the US, at http://www.mewashingtondc.com/.

<i>I'm trying to book tickets to hear traditional Chinese music, if possible. I see there is an orchestra playing one night while we're there, and wondered if anyone had feedback on this sort of thing. </i> Without knowing what orchestra you are referring to, it's hard to give an opinion. However, the Hong Kong Chinese Orchestra or the University of Hong Kong would be good choices, IMO. The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts runs terrific programs all year, and often has free recitals by its students (which may interest your daughter) and would also be a very good choice. For a list of all activities, both free and paid, go to http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/en/cs_prog_week.php and for a list of paid programs, go to http://urbtix.cityline.com.hk/internet/action/index.do. The Sunbeam Theatre in North Point on Hong Kong island offers Cantonese Chinese Opera and may also have strictly musical performances, not sure if that is what you are referring to. That is a traditional old-fashioned theatre (for Hong Kong anyway, anthing older than 1960 is antique).

<i>My daughter plays the erhu, and I may purchase one for her when we're in H.K. Is there anyone experienced with music stores that sell traditional Chinese instruments? I have found one or two online, but advice is always welcome. </i>

I assume you have found Tom Lee Music, a very reputable long-establish company here. If not, see http://www.tomleemusic.com.hk/. This would probably be the first place I would go. If they don’t have Chinese instruments, they should be able to tell you where you look. I can also ask around for other suggestions and repost if I find anything. You might also ask at the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts for suggestions.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:42 AM

There was a time when Burma wanted you to register electronics when you came into the country, but that has not been true for a number of years. We did not have to register anything when we were there in Nov. A caveat: things change in Burma, often over night, for no apparent reason. Despite the fact that no one has been required to register electronics for years, the junta may make a sudden and capricious change in this or any other policy.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 06:11 PM

Have an amazing trip! we're leaving on the 30th and will also stay at the Peninsula when in Bangkok. Looking forward to your report!
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 06:57 AM

Have a great trip. Are you using the Visa on Arrival option at Yangoon or did you get your visa before leaving home?
J
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi - thanks for the good wishes!

I thought I'd check in one last time tonight. We have a 10:10 Cathay Pacific flight tomorrow. How is that after 6 months of planning there are still so many details to do just before you leave? It will be a relief to get on the plane and leave the decisions to the flight crew.
Jules - I am not doing the visa on arrival. Frankly, it was so easy to send everything to the embassy in Washington, I didn't think about it too much. Our visas were back to us in less than 2 weeks. I also figured that if there had been a problem, I'd prefer to be here to handle it than in the airport in Yangon.
Every time I check it seems predictably rainy, so if anyone has an "in" with the weather gods, would you put in a few words for us?