Hong Kong Hotel , Xmas day 24 hours

Nov 30th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Hong Kong Hotel , Xmas day 24 hours

My husband and I are going to be starting our honeymoon in Hong Kong, we arrive on Xmas day at 6 pm and leave on the 26th at 5 pm.

Can anyone recommend:

A nice hotel ( location is key) for maximum $150/night and a fantastic restaurant to sample some amazing chinese food when we arrive

Many thanks
Nov 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Prices are high for that night, and I can't find a good hotel in the city for $150 that I will recommend anybody to start their honeymoon in.

Since you're arriving fairly late and only spending one night, I suggest the new Marriott SkyCity that's at the airport. Starting at HK$979 (or US$126). That's half the price of anything similar you'll find in the city on that date.
Nov 30th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Let me add that you probably do want to get out to the city that night. The Airport Express takes only 30 minutes, and make sure you get the SAME DAY RETURN tickets that cost the same as a one-way.

I'll let others recommend restaurants for you, but keep in mind that most top restaurants at the various 4-5* hotels will have very expensive "Christmas Dinner" for the night of 12/25. You may want to consider the Chinese restaurant right at the Marriott SkyCity, if you decide to stay there.
Nov 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM

I am also a bit afraid that you may have left the hotel room for a bit late. December is our best month weather-wise, and it’s also holiday time for many people all over the world, so you may have an issue with a hotel at this late date, but you never know, perhaps a last-minute deal will appear. You might try hotwire and other sites as they may offer good last-minute deals. In addition, US$150 is on the low side for hotels in Hong Kong, which is fairly expensive for accomodation. If you can go up in budget a bit, you may find more availability as well.

The Sky City Marriott suggestion above is fine, esp. as you are getting in after dark and this may save you some time the next day. The hotel is located a few minutes’ ride from the airport, I believe they have a shuttle bus or it would be HK$20 or so for a taxi ride (about US$3, no tip required, but there may be a charge for the luggage). As the travel time to Hong Kong from the airport is not very far (see below), it is not a huge deal to go into the city to stay there, but staying at the airport may save you some time and trouble on arrival and departure. I will say that the Hong Kong skyline at night is certainly one of the world’s best sights (esp now as all the buildings are decorated for Christmas), so if you think you can do it, getting into the city to see that would be “worth” it. I would also say that you won’t find any “fantastic” restaurants at the airport or in Tung Chung, the town near to it. So you will need to go into Hong Kong in any event on Christmas night.

The travel time between the airport and the main city sections of either Kowloon or Hong Kong Island is about 30 minutes. This travel time is about the same whether you take the Airport Express train, a bus or a taxi. It’s more of a matter of how much you want to spend to get there and the hassle factor you are willing to put up with. The subway and buses stop running at about 1 am, so if you stay out at the airport, you may need to take a taxi back at the end of your evening. (There are some all night buses to the airport which you may be able to take and then a taxi to your hotel from there. But this may require a wait for the bus.)

For hotels, you might try the Metropark Causeway Bay on Hong Kong Island; they still seem to be showing rooms for your dates and are in your price range. This is a fun area of restaurants and shops and interesting local markets, and is also walkable to places like the Peak Tram. See http://www.metroparkhotels.com/hotel...?hotel=wanchai. The group runs some other hotels in town, I think this one has the best location, esp for one night, but if they are full you might try some of their other locations.

A more budget hotel in the same area would be The Wesley. This hotel is about 500 yards from the Pacific Place complex of the JW Marriott/Conrad and Shangri-La which of course charge hundreds more for their rooms. It’s quite moderately priced, and make sure you get as large a room as you can. See www.hanglung.com (I don't think this website works too well, you might try http://www.asiatraveltips.com/TheWesleyHotel.htm.)

Another budget hotel not far from this area would be the YMCA Harbour View House, which has small but adequate rooms and nice views. They still seem to have rooms for your dates. See http://ymca-hotels.com/hongkong/harbourview/index.html. This is also walkable to the Wan Chai area of restaurants and not a bad distance to Central, or you could take the fun tram or a bus. The ferry from Wan Chai to Kowloon is also walkable from here. (The YMCA which would be first choice, the Salisbury on the Kowloon side, is sold out for your dates, but might be worth contacting to see if there is a wait list.)

You might also try the Bishop Lei up in Mid-Levels on Hong Kong Island, as you could get a harbour view suite for that price; I can’t tell if they have availability but it would be worth checking. This is good for getting to restaurants along the escalator and in Soho, and you would have a nice view from the room. If you had the energy, you could also walk up to the Peak during the day from there (or more easily down from the Peak). See http://www.bishopleihtl.com.hk.

You might also try looking at tripadvisor.com where you can search by price.

For restaurants, toth December 25 and 26 are public holidays here in Hong Kong and lots of people will be out celebrating. This is one of the few holidays when no one has to work, but no one has family obligations to attend to, so people like to go out in couples or groups of friends. Restaurants will be quite crowded, but if you make a reservation now, you should be OK; it’s mostly the restaurants in larger hotels which serve turkey and all the trimmings that get really booked up, and also the “view” restaurants like Hutong, Felix, etc (in fact most are already fully booked).

You have not specified what type of Chinese cuisine you want or how much you want to spend, there are many types on offer here in all price ranges. For example, Lung King Heen in the Four Seasons would be certainly be fantastic, but you may not want to pay for that fantastic an experience; conversely I think that the Typhoon Shelter crab in Wan Chai is also fantastic but you may want to bring your own napkins or hand sanitizer. I have a list of restaurant recommendations for Hong Kong which is now 40-pages, which I would be happy to e-mail it to you if you want to send me a message at [email protected]. It is broken down by view, no view, area, and food type/region and gives some price details.

I would suggest that when you land, that you try to check in for your flight out the next day before you leave the airport. Most airlines allow early check-in up to 18 hours before departure. Take a look at the website for the Hong Kong Airport at www.hongkongairport.com which has info on early check-in, or check with your carrier. If you can do this, you will save a lot of time and hassle the next day in terms of waiting in line at the check-in counter. This also means you could check in your heavy luggage and just keep an overnight bag as a carry-on. If you check-in the night before, then IMO you only need to be at the airport about an 1 hour before departure, perhaps 1.5 hours to play it safe in case there are lines at Immigration.

If you can’t or don’t want to early check-in for your flight, you could just store your heavier bags at the airport and collect them the next day when you go to check-in for your flight. This will save your having to lug them into town for one night. You can check your luggage for HK$35 (US$4) per piece, go to http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/a...gage.html#left for info. The "Meeters and Greeters Hall" is the main arrivals area, the Left Luggage area is on the far right of the hall as you exit the baggage claim/Customs areas.
Dec 1st, 2009, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

That's great, thank you for all your advice. I have seen a deal at the Mira hotel for $160 . Would people recommend this place ?

Cicerone- i will email you for the restaurant recommendations

many thanks
Dec 1st, 2009, 08:23 AM

The Mira was renovated and rebranded (from the Miramar) a couple of years ago. While not too close to the Star Ferry, it is in the heart of Tsimshatsui with easy access to the MTR (subway) and tonnes of restaurants nearby. Right behind it is Knutsford Terrace, one of the hippest place in Hong Kong for dining with many restaurants and bars.

For $160 on that night, I think it's a fine choice.
Dec 1st, 2009, 11:41 PM

I have sent you an e-mail with restaurant list and some thoughts on the Mira.