Leaving for Nepal on May 12 - strikes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am scheduled to leave for Nepal on May 12 for 3 weeks. I haven't been able to find out any current information on the strikes, other than the article that was posted the other day. When should I be concerned about this upcoming trip? Should I give it a few more days before I cancel? I wasn't sure how quickly these things blow over. The US state department posted a note on April 27, but hasn't updated anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:46 PM

It's, as always, impossible to know.

http://www.nepalbandh.com/

This is the site the locals use, but it seems to be a list of what HAS happened, rather than what WILL happen. That's because no-one knows. The easiest place to be if you get stuck, will be in Thamel - or just head to the Hyatt or Dwarika's [upmarket]

The fact of it is that you won't be able to move, so better hunkier down where there are shops. I was in KTM in January during a bandh. Everything closes. You can't get a chai or breakfast or a sticky bun.

Hotel Courtyard is a good place to be in a bandh. Head there if you go and get stuck. Remember - you won't be in any physical danger. Just really, really inconvenienced. These guys will fix your problems.

www.hotelcourtyard.com/

Google 'Nepal Bandh' and go to 'news' This will keep you up to date. Try Himalayan Times and things like that. None of it is particularly inspiring, I must say.
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update: http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2...=nytimestravel

And: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8658896.stm

I would monitor the BBC site and the travel advisories from the US State Dept and UK Foreign Office (the US tends to be a lot more alarmist than the UK, if I'd listened to them I wouldn't have gone to syria and Lebanon last year, which would have been a pity).
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:56 AM

Hi Susan,
It's definitely pity,that Nepal is suffering by the strikes since a week. Of course there are some difficulties traveling around Kathmandu and outside of Kathmandu because of lack of transportation and even difficult to have meals at the restaurant that you wish.

Well, I hope it won't go for longer because today lots of the travel trade organization and FNCCI organized the peace rally against the general strike announced by the Maoist.There are lots of international pressure to the present government and the Maoist leader to end this strike because lots of foreigners and even local civilian are facing problem by food,transport,lack of money to use for daily basis. So, please be patient and hope some result will come out within couple of days. So,drop me a line for further assist. As a travel consultant I may provide you useful information regarding your trip to Nepal. Thank you
Nakul..
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Here's an e-mail I just received from the US Embassy:

Important Security Information for U.S. Citizens in Nepal

May 7, 2010

The Unified CPN-Maoist Party has been carrying out nationwide strikes since Sunday, May 2, 2010. The U.S. Embassy in Kathmandu has been closed since May 3rd and will likely remain closed until the strikes are lifted. Large demonstrations and traffic disruptions continue to occur around Kathmandu and throughout the country. These strikes, or "bandhs" as they are referred to locally, have been successful in completely shutting down vehicular movement and businesses. As of May 7, 2010, the political situation remains deadlocked and we are unable to predict when the strike will conclude.

Supplies are running short in some places and travel has been disrupted throughout the country. Businesses and public transport have been severely affected. Essential supplies are dwindling and the strike has made it difficult or sometimes prevented supplies from being replenished. U.S. citizens are encouraged to stock adequate supplies of water, food, fuel, money and medication. Shops and markets are allowed to open for several hours each morning and evening. Some hotels are concerned about not being able to provide adequate services to tourists in Nepal. While the demonstrations have been largely peaceful, there have been sporadic clashes between the Maoist demonstrators and counter-demonstrators and security forces. U.S. citizens are strongly urged to avoid mass gatherings and demonstrations and to avoid traveling by wheeled transportation, including buses, cars, and bicycles. U.S. citizens are advised to monitor the situation closely on local media outlets and to stay in your homes or hotels and not move throughout the area unless absolutely necessary.

Please remain cognizant and aware of your surroundings and what may transpire. We wish to remind U.S. citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. U.S. citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations if possible, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations.

The Nepal Tourism Board is running tourist buses to and from the international airport, which remains open. It is difficult to travel within Nepal except by air and some domestic flights also have been disrupted.
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:46 AM

That's the heaviest warning I've seen, Craig. Serious stuff now. I can just imagine what things are like.
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:45 AM

My friend arrived on the Monday (3rd) - managed to get from the airport to town with difficulty and has now been in a locked down city for the week. She was going onto an orphanage out of town but its been impossible to get out. Supplies of food and water are indeed apparently running low in the city and there are Maoists on the streets with big sticks to hit anyone opening shops when they shouldn't! However that said, she says she feels comfortable enough but just stuck in a small guesthouse. She doesn't feel in danger. The phones aren't working too well either.
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Mary,
I just read that the strike ended. Do you know if that is true?
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:17 AM

travelersusan was in a hurry, but just as she was running out the door, she asked me to say 'thank you dogster, Craig, thursday, Corsa and Mary for your attention and concern.' Isn't that sweet?
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry dogster if you thought I was being inconsiderate for not saying thank you, but I am VERY appreciative of everyone's comments on this board. This have just been a little crazy over here (not travel related) to keep up and reply to everyone. So thank you!
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:23 AM

smooch. lol lol lol.
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Hi Susan,

It is true that Maoist cabinet meeting decided to withdraw the continue general strike from 8th of May. So, you can travel to Kathmandu and all over Nepal until you hear any other latest news about strike. Please drop me a line for further information as travel consultant I could provide you some useful matter regarding your trip to Nepal. Thank you and have a happy journey to Nepal.
Nakul
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:22 PM

Susan - haven't heard today from my friend - hopefully she is on her way out of town! She rings her husband and he rings me!! The phone was dreadful yesterday so maybe a little better today.
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:19 AM

We were on our way to Nepal last week with a stopover in Taiwan. While in Taiwan, on Friday we decided to return home. We just could not take the chance of getting stuck in Nepal.

The worst part is that we were to visit Bhutan flying in and out of Kathmandu. Our Bhutan tour, Nirvana, very graciously is allowing us to reschedule at some future date.

We did enjoy Taiwan however. It is definitely worth a stopover.