Madagascar is a no go right now

Jan 31st, 2009, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Madagascar is a no go right now

If you are planning a visit to Madagascar you may want to wait a bit. Friends living there say it is very unstable. Shopping centers, TV and Radio Stations burned. Looting and riots. Unbelievable to us. It seemed so peaceful last April. So sad. Over 100 dead so far. Pray for sweet Madagascar. It is the last thing this country needed. As soon as it calms down go for a visit. Our best trip ever
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:11 AM

yes, the UK have advised against non-essential travel (which is a "travel ban") to Madagascar - please see below

Madagascar 30th January 2009
Madagascar

This advice has been reviewed and reissued with an amendment to the Summary (curfew in effect). We advise against all but essential travel to Madagascar at this time.

We advise against all but essential travel to Madagascar. There are currently demonstrations occurring in Madagascar. Violent incidents and lootings have been reported in Antannanarivo and in regional centres across the country. The political situation remains fluid and there is a continued possibility of violence. Reports put the number of deaths so far at between 36 and 59. We strongly advise British nationals in Madagascar avoid any political rallies, demonstrations or large gatherings and monitor the situation in the local media.

A curfew is currently in effect between 20:00 to 05:00. We advise all British nationals in Madagascar to abide by this curfew.

There is no British Embassy in Madagascar, but there are Honorary British Consuls in Toamasima and Antananarivo. Madagascar is covered from the British High Commission in Port Louis. See the General (Representation) section of this advice for more details.

You should avoid driving outside urban areas after dark, as there have been armed robberies at night on some of the major roads.

The cyclone season in Madagascar normally runs from January to March; coastal areas are particularly affected. For more detailed information see the Natural Disasters section of this travel advice and Tropical cyclones for more details.

Most visits to Madagascar are trouble-free. The main type of problem for which British nationals required consular assistance in Madagascar in 2007 was replacing lost and stolen passports. There is a risk of crime in Madagascar. See the Crime section of this advice for more details.

There is a low threat from terrorism. But you should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks which could be in public areas, including those frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

Feb 1st, 2009, 12:51 PM

I had a trip planned for late June-early July but that may now be at risk. Impossible to tell what the situation will be in a few months. I hope they are not headed to a repeat of 2002. I was there in May 2007 and had a great time - except for a pilot strike on Air Mad. Any updates would be very much appreciated.
Feb 10th, 2009, 07:59 PM

We are planning a trip there in March. Anyone have any updates?

Thanks
Feb 11th, 2009, 01:53 AM

I have cancelled our trip to Madagascar which was planned for September, 2009.
Feb 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Yesterday BBC repeated more riots in the south with some deaths. I am beginning to suspect my June/July travels to Madagascar are not going to happen.
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:13 AM

I was informed by some unofficial sources in view of a planed trip to Antananarivo that the safety situation there is critical. In the night time you should always use taxis to move from one point to another. That even walking in the city centre in the day;light is critical. There is a constant risk of muggings and being robbed 24 hours a day. Can anybody confirm this information ?