Le Meridian, Phuket

Search

Le Meridian, Phuket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Le Meridian, Phuket

We booked 4 nights at Le Meridian in Phuket. We are staying in a Terrace suite. If anyone has stayed or visited there, we'd love to hear your feedback on the hotel.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 11:33 AM

As I remember, there are two Le Meridians on Phuket. Which one have you booked?
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

The beach club.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 04:16 PM

If that means the one at relax Bay as opposed to the 'Yacht Club': Le Meridien is on it's very own beach just over the hill north of Patong. Large hotel, well managed, very very large pools, nice beach, lots of restaurants, overall a nice hotel though being 4-5 stories high rather a block, but it's tops floors just touch the level of the hills that surround the bay so very 'enclosed'.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. It is the hotel in Relax Bay. Do you remember if the bay was calm and clear? Anything you regret doing or not doing? Kathy
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 06:26 PM

I lived in Phuket for 3 years ( now in BKK) so visited there as opposed to staying in the rooms, though I have seen the rooms and they are nice.
I would try Karon in the evenings for something not quite as hectic as Patong, I would book tours once you arrive, you will find an array of brochures and tour information in your room and the resort has a tour desk, prices are pretty much fixed and booking at the hotel desk means you have a certain 'come back', especailly when staying at a top place. See how you feel, you may want to do a trip one day and then relax the next.
As far as waves, as long as you are outside of the Monsoon/Heavy Rain period of mid April roughly to end of October the sea should be faily calm, they have their own classy boat!As they are the only place on the beach they tend to have 'control' over the beach, keep it clean and safe.
Do not under any circumstances use the Jet ski's at Patong, very dangerous, 2 youngsters killed in 2 seperate incidences within a month, they are unregulated, but you won't find these at relax bay! Do see the show at Phuket Simon Cabaret, a suimple MUST see, Phuket Fantasea is 'ok' but only do the show, not the buffet+show, but it's expensive and many people are upset seeing the animals treated in a very 'circus' manner which is long past in most countries.
Try
http://www.phuketgazette.net
for good local information about Phuket ( link never works first time, you have to click refresh button always )!
What time of year are you going?
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 06:28 PM

Not sure of Phuket Simon Cabaret link but if you go to www.kooloo.com and click on Thailand and then click on Phuket I am sure they have a link.
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. We're going in early Feb. We checked out the gazette and are trying to get the discount card. Wonder if it will work for us as tourists.
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 11:20 PM

We just returned today from staying in Phuket at this hotel, Le Meridian. It is a nice hotel, food is good and so is the staff. Beach is very nice and the swimming area is has a very sandy bottom. It is very big.
We were in Phuket last March, and stayed at the Dusit Laguna. This we liked better because it was smaller and cozier. We felt we had a better one on one with the staff there too.
Both places are nice, it just depends on what you are looking for in a vacation.
We are currently looking to buy a place in Phuket at this moment and will return again in February. Myszka
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 03:27 AM

We have stayed there twice several years apart. Loved it both times. Yes, it is a large hotel, but that meant it had choice of restaurants and lots of facilities. Nice large rooms, redecorated recently. Lots of Frence staying there, less Americans. We had laundry done by people on the beach. They did such a good job, we had them do clothes we had not yet worn in Thailand. Close to town, if you want to go there. You have made a good choice.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Elaine and Myszka,
We are really looking forward to our trip. We like all of the amenities larger resort properties have, so it sounds like we chose the right place! James said the hotel had its own boat. Do you know what he meant?
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:41 AM

kgabansk,

I just saw your thread and found it interesting and just wanted to add my 1 Thai baht worth (1 Baht equals roughly $0.02). My wife and I we also be staying at Le Meridien Phuket in February (8-13) a decision we made after enourmous amounts of praise were heaped on this resort. The resort though has been on our radar screen for a couple of years, ever since our Spanish tour guide in Morocco responded to "Le Meridien Phuket" as her favorite place in the world when we were trying to find that place that balanced both the exotic, the sublime and the peaceful in one. Ever since then, I have read nothing but praise for the place and can't wait until our arrival!

Interesting enough, if you pick up this month's US edition of Conde Nast they have their list of the "700 best resorts in the world" and while Le Meridien did not make the cut (only 9 hotels in all of Thailand, 2 of which were in Phuket did) it was the only resort in Thailand on the "reserved" list, a nice honor!

More than anything, just wanted to offer some reassurance in the decision from all we've heard, even if our experiences have only been third person thus far. Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Travelbear,
Thanks for your note. We're from San Francisco - so if you run into a couple at the bar from CA, you'll know it is us
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 02:55 AM

Sounds like a really nice hotel. Now wondering if we made a mistake... Have booked the Le Meridian Yacht Club for a week, then going on to Krabi (Rayavadee) for another week... Any information on either of these resorts would be gratefully received.... many thanks, John
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 03:41 PM

Don't worry, both those are good choices. The Yacht Club is at Nai harn beach which is in the south west, it is a quieter area, more relaxed, but quite a way to go to Kata/Karon/Patong but it still has it's merits. There are so many resorts with similar qualities yet at the same time being different individually, that is why when someone asks 'what is the best place to stay?' there are as many answers and recommendations as there are 'places to stay!'.
Everyone is an individual, and even a couple might have different preferences. I belive 'attitude and mind-set' account for 80% plus whether you enjoy a place or not!