Le Dalat Indochine, Bangkok

Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Le Dalat Indochine, Bangkok

Has anyone tried this Vietnamese restaurant? Thinking of trying it on our trip next week.

So far I have booked Manago Tree for our first night - relatively near to our hotel plus Bed and MAHA NAGA. Now looking for 2 more - toying with Le Dalat, face, BISCOTTI, or Harmonique. Lovely decision to be faced with. Intend to try out bars at the top of state tower and one at Banyan Tree - any others we shouldn't miss?

Many thanks,

Patsey
Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:16 AM

we did eat there and were blown away...the ambiance is lovely, the food excellent, the colonial costumes of the wait staff added another dimension....the house is quaint....try the fried carp....

biscotti is our favorite non-thai rest. in bkk i think....it has clean lines and is quite noisy...excellent italian food....good service...res. necessary...open kitchen which some enjoy....we also like jesters at the peninsula hotel and angenelli at the shangri-la hotel.....

harmonique in not in the same league as the others....the food is excellent, the ambiance is ecclectic to say the least...we love it....it is cheap also if that interests you....tongue thai is more appealing from a decor stand point and the food is equally good....it is moderate in price and perhaps easier to find....
Oct 3rd, 2005, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob, I think we'll give it a try, the decor sounds lovely. Vietnamese is special to us as we had our honeymoon there last year and how some fantastic meals.

Perhaps Harmonique for lunch?

Now is Biscotti, Face or even Tongue Thai???
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:40 PM

Hi,
Tried Le Dalat Indochine in May this year.

It was truly a disappontment ie. overpriced for very mediocre food. We have far better Vietnamese food in California.

Our relationship bank manager in Thailand took us to lunch at Sweet Basil (another vietnamese restaurant) and the food was much better than Le Dalat Indochine. Since the bank took the bill, we don't know how much the meal cost.

Biscotti is another good choice, but it's Italian, not Thai.

Good luck with your choices. Check out our pictures taken at some of the restaurants we visited during our visit in May:

http://www.wongngravrok.com/2005ASIA/BKK-Food/
Oct 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM

Great photos HappyTraveling - especially of the food. We are in Bangkok before our wedding next year - looks like I will have to make sure the dressmakers leave room for me to put on a few pounds!!

Have to say, the Peninsula looks lovely, I might be swayed to try that instead of the Oriental, or may be as well as...decisions, decisions...
Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:16 PM

happy travel---i enjoyed all of your pictures...sorry you did not like le delat indochine....we loved it and its atmosphere...
Oct 4th, 2005, 02:15 AM

We went there last year and thinking I should do the right thing I rang from our hotel and booked a table.

Went along to what we thought was the right restaurant but our booking was held with the other one in the SAME street!

Beware...very confusing!

Food was great though.
Oct 4th, 2005, 04:23 AM
CFW

Happy Travelling, Loved your photos - interesting idea to do close-ups of the food at the restaurants. And your photos of the Marriott made us want to be there NOW. We loved it -- Peninsula doesn't look nearly as appealing to us. What time of year were you in BKK? We were there in January and though it didn't rain, and it wasn't too too hot, we didn't have any days with blue skies like you had.
Oct 4th, 2005, 04:26 AM

CFW-- the lack of blue sky was probably more smog than weather related.
Oct 5th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Patsey, I'm with Happy Travelng on this, tried Le Dalat couple times, always just about average IMO. A better option for Vietnamese food, tho decor is modern, minimalist, not traditional is Thang Long halfway down Soi Lung Suan opposite Central Chitlom. Good lunch option if you plan to do some shopping at Gaysorn or Central Chitlom. I really like Face and both their Indian and Thai food is good. I'd add it.
Oct 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM

We were there in May this year and it was the hottest time of the year in Bangkok. We were melting in the heat. No rain tho, but it was sooooo hot that we had barely any energy to do much.

Staying at a hotel on the riverside helped! The breeze was such a delight!

-Vivian

Oct 6th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed your photos, Vivian.
Carol
Oct 6th, 2005, 07:24 PM

happy travelling---interesting comment about the weather....in 2004 we went to bkk in may/june and were delightfully surprised at how nice the weather was---count not determine any difference from our usual visit time in november/december....so we decided to return in 2005 at the same time....while we had more rain this time, we found the heat and humidity to be about the same as always....but yet you thought it was much hotter i assume....interesting...

don't get me wrong it is hot, but we did not think it any hotter than the fall...
Oct 6th, 2005, 10:40 PM

Bob-

We live in Oslo at the moment, and the temperature in Bangkok is so much higher than what we are used. So Bangkok was very very hot for us.

Then again, the locals kept telling us that it was the hottest time of the year. One man told us that in the "winter", they wear sweaters in 24C/ 80F. (I'm in shorts when it's that warm : )