Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Lcuy decided to go to Japan next Wednesday. Ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night, my husband and I decided we need a Japan moment, so I booked tickets to Tokyoi for this Wednesday.

We'll arrive on the 15th and will have four nights plus a full day before leaving Monday night.

We've been to Japan numerous times, and have enjoyed places like Takayama, Hakone, and many of the small towns along the way to Hokkaido. Because this is such a short trip, I son'e want to spend a huge amount of time traveling.

Since we arrive late in the afternoon, I was thinking of spending our first night in Sakura, then two nights in another spot such as Ugusu or Ito on the Izu Peninsula or Tochigi (halfway to Nikko).

We like to stay in smaller ryokan or japan style hotels. Will most likely visit a museum or two, do easy hikes, and just hang out. We really look forward to some good meals.

Any ideas, especially of specific locations or lodging will be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 01:59 AM

i hope its not one of your usual flts thru istambul via cairo..

have fun!!

come see us in issan
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 02:44 AM

Try Amagiso in Odaru onsen
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/d...ka/amagiso.htm
Linda and I loved it there. Lots of hiking there and lots of hot spring baths. The train ride along the ocean was fabulous and iirc you can get a direct train back to Tokyo in the morning

Aloha!
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 03:33 AM

The Hoshinoya resort in Karuizawa (about an hour from Tokyo by Shinkansen) is one of my favorite spots, anywhere. Gorgeous setting, excellent onsen, and a mix of traditional Japanese hospitality/rooms plus Western conveniences.
http://global.hoshinoresort.com/hoshinoya_karuizawa/
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Don and HT. Amagiso looks beautiful, but is full. Im going to check again today. The Hoshino looks incredible, but at over $2000 per night is not in the budget!
I found Kanaya Ryokan just above Shimoda. It looks nice, but has only Sunday available.
My current plan is to spend first night in Sakura or Tokyo, then head to Izu peninsulsa (either Ito or Shimoda) for two days of exploring and getting some good seafood.

We may just let the info center help us with a room when we arrive. It is such a pain doing it by email at this last moment. (Many hotels do not have "live" booking online).

Sunday night will be at Kanaya Ryokan. It is an onsen near Shimoda,in the hills. After check out we'll have time to stop in Narita for a few hours and do omiage shopping. Short, but hopefully sweet!
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Oops. Hit submit too early...
Any other recommendations for Izu are hotels or restaurants?
Thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 09:46 AM

$2000, yikes. They must only have some chalets available that sleep 6 or 8 people. Hoshinoya isn't cheap, but not that expensive as long as there's still a good selection of rooms.

Keep it in mind, though, for a visit when you've got more notice. (They've also got a location in the hills of Kyoto, tho I haven't stayed there.)
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 02:04 PM

Wow you leave tomorrow already
Now that I am home I have access to some stored links

If you have time try these links,

http://kshouse.jp/ito-e/index.html

http://www.itospa.com/event09/day-trip-onsen-list.pdf

http://www.agoda.com/asia/japan/izu/...n_yokikan.html

You and Milt have a great time, I know you will!!!

Aloha!