Layover in Singapore - 9 hours Overnight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Singapore airlines recently changed their flight times on us so we now have a layover in Singapore from 10 PM to 7 AM en route to Sri Lanka from Bangkok.

Can we/should we check our bags through from Bangkok to Sri Lanka?

For the layover, it looks like we have 3 options:

1. The Singapore Airlines business class lounge which has a "sleeping area" and showers.

2. The Singapore airport transit hotel which has "basic" accommodations according to other posts on this board

3. A nice hotel in Singapore

While option #3 would be a no-brainer given just a little more time, I'm really trying to decide whether we need to reserve at the transit hotel or just use the business class lounge for the layover.

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:16 AM

It's nice to get some real sleep on a layover like that. I've done similar layovers in Singapore several times.

The transit hotel is very basic. It's clean, but I always wish for a bath to soak the airplane out of my pores. I can't get that in the transit hotel - a quick shower and thin towels. I've stayed in the transit hotel when I've had 4 - 6 hours, and it's fine for that. With 9 hours, I'd go to a hotel in town. There is a Le Meridien that is "close" to the airport, but I thought it took as long to get there as to get into town.

If it were me, I'd check my luggage through to Sri Lanka and take a change of clothes in my carry on. I'd choose at hotel right at an MRT station and take the MRT into town for a good bath and a good night's sleep.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Oops - I forgot to mention that the Singapore Business class lounge is very nice. I'm not so sure that I'd feel like I got any "real" sleep there, though.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Ok, Kathie - given that a 9-hour layover translates into about 6 hours after clearing immigration, the MRT ride, checking in/checking out of the hotel and getting to the airport 2 hours prior with no breakfast is it still worth it to go into the city? I'm thinking that we'd each get a shower (we don't need a bath) and 4 hours of sleep doing that. Could we just as easily get 4 hours of sleep for free (plus coffee/food in the am) at the business class lounge? I am really trying to get a feel for what the sleeping accommodations are at the airport - since you've spent time at the business class lounge, what's the set-up? Your feedback on the transit hotel was perfect: "thin towels" - no thanks.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM

I spent about three hours in the Singapore Business Class Lounge a couple of years ago. It was during the day, so I wasn't concerned with sleeping. I did see the area with showers, and saw a quiet room where there were lounges one could sleep on. I doubt that I could get any good quality of sleep there, but the atmosphere is better than the transit hotel (though I'd get better sleep at the transit hotel).

You're right you'd end up with not much time at a hotel in town. Singapore has such efficient immigration and customs that I've always gotten to my hotel within an hour of landing. Still, it's reasonable to question whether it's worth going into town.

Tough call, it really depends on what you need after your long flight. (The Business Class lounge does have good champagne - Charles Krug, as I remember.)
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie, this is helpful. I'm thinking that the transit hotel might be the way to go - we will need "real" sleep. Krug Champagne is nice but not that late at night - we have a full day after we arrive in Sri Lanka. We'll just have to cope with the thin towels at the transit hotel . I assume we can get coffee and a light breakfast in the Business Class lounge...
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM

The good news is that Singapore's fast so you can be off the plane, through immigration and in downtown Singapore in less than an hour.

I'd agree with Kathie that the Meridien's not worth saving a few minutes. It may be "at the airport" but it's one of those you-can't-get-there-from-here situations.

I've not stayed at the airport transit hotel so can't comment.

I've certainly put in time in the SQ business lounge. It's comfortable and quiet and plenty of people sleep, but I don't remember seeing lounges. There are showers and plenty of food. If you're in the PPS Club they'll upgrade you to the First Class lounge.

There's also an area called the Oasis Lounge that's supposed be a good sleepover spot. When looking for some info for a client I came across this hilarious website. One traveler relates how the entire Oasis was taken over by airport staff getting some shuteye on the job!

http://www.sleepinginairports.com/asia/singapore.htm
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Craig, you'll find lovely breakfast food in the Singapore Lounge - weatern and Asian.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 06:58 PM

I would definitely do the intransit hotel which I've done on my way to Bangkok in the past. It's right there in the terminal and is very clean and the shower has very hot water.
There's also a movie theater right across from the intransit hotel if you don't want to go to sleep early and there's a eatery directly across from it,too. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Just agreeing with others, transit hotel rooms are small and basic, though clean, the block of hours though does not make it that cheap, I am not sure if it is blockes of 4 or 6 hrs. But I know that once you hit paying for '2 block times' it is not longer that cheap.
The showers at the Gym are superb, 5 star standard, great !
Plus you have lounge options.

Le Meridien I agree is only slightly closer, though the 'plus side' is that the shuttle is free, but you would probably have to leave there around 5 am so not worth it in my opionion.

Another option perhaps you have not though of:

As SQ have changed the flight times would it work out for you instead of taking that flight that arrives Singapore 10 pm to take a much earlier flight, perhaps around midday and then make a 'trip out of the stop', that is if it interestes you at all.
I think they have around 10/11 am from BKK and then make it part of the trip - just a thought.

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:05 PM

We had an 11 hour layover a few years ago on our trip from Cairo to NZ. We opted for the transit hotel. Basic - yes- but convenient and much needed for some good sleep. (Make sure you have reservations ahead of time).

We spent several hour there, got some rest and a shower, then relaxed in the business class lounge until our flight.

On the way back we have just over 24 hours and for that we went to a hotel in town.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM

My husband and I used the transit hotel at Changi and we slept just fine. We were happy to be able to get some rest and a hot shower. It was more than adequate!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Yes, it was definitely more than just adequate. It reminded me of my room at the YMCA International House in Singapore...which I love...just a little smaller and with hotter water in the shower. I didn't pay that much summer before last. I think I paid around US$50. I checked in at around midnight, I think and was out at around 7AM maybe. The convenience can't be beat. It was definitely worth it to me and I'd do it again without hesitation. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

JamesA, you have posed an interesting thought about getting to Singapore earlier. I think it would be best for me to start another thread to sort out the options for our itinerary.