Search

lawana resort, samui

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2005, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lawana resort, samui

Hello
Has anybody stayed at this hotel? I am thinking of changing my holiday booking for August.
My husband and I are staying at the Sheraton hanoi for a week, and then want to go somewhere quiet and beautiful for a relaxing week. We like to eat outside of the hotel in the evening.
We have booked to stay at the Anantara, Hua Hin for the final week, but are having second thoughts - not sure if it is a bit too built up (high rises) for us.
Would love to hear any information or advice. Thanks.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 05:46 AM

my concern about the anantara is its location....it is quite a ways out of town as i remember, sort of all by itself....there is no high rise problem there or in fact in HH in general....the hilton is a hr, but that is about all.....you have no feeling of hr in HH, imo
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 10:55 AM

The lagoon rooms at the Anantara are truly stunning. And the resort itself is lovely. It is not close to town, though you can easily get a taxi. I wasn't impressed with the town of Hua Hin, so for me, I prefer to stay away from the town.

There are several excellent restaurants at the Anantara, so if you are looking for some place you could enjoy eating at the resort every night, it's a great spot. If you want to eat away from the resort every night, it's not a great location. If you just want to go someplace special away from the resort once or twice during your stay, it would be fine.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 08:44 PM

My personal opinion is that it's better to stay a little out of the town and then head into town, a short ride by taxi or hotel shuttle.
Have you looked at the 'Wora Bura Hua Hin'? This is new, we will be popping in for lunch there probably Tuesday so I can update on that, it wasn't quiet finished last trip.
Bob/Kathie etc: Drove thru the solid traffic Thursday night into HH, past Starbucks and took the short cut down to Sofitel and cut around the back towards Marriott, passed new small mall in the center with a New York Deli, Subway, new Amercian BBQ, Coffee and Fudge place, it is getting so so busy in the town. Huge mega mall almost opposite Marriott.
I think now is best to stay a little away from the center.
Debbie, the beach at Anantara can get very narrow in the afternoons, down by the Hyatt and Wora Bura is stays somewhat wider. One of the great things about Anantara and I'm sure Kathie can add to this is the Mandara Spa they have, truly great. But if you like spas remember you can always book into a spa somewhere else, even Civa Som, you don't have to stay in the resort to access the spa, they all have showers and places to change so it perhaps is a nice way of enjoying different spas and different experiences. The Hyatt Regency also another option.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 08:48 PM

I will also try and find out when the Sheraton is opening, I know it's sometime this year but no idea when, will try to have a look. The only high rise luxury is the Hilton.
If you want a quieter area then the Hyatt down past Wora Bura is far more local, you can cycle from that area 5 minutes and be in rural area near the beach, cattle and horses grazing, elephants walking down the street, local temples etc, that is within 10 minutes of the center of town, it is a great contrast and gives a nice balance of a rural beach setting plus easy access to restaurants, night bazaars etc.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 08:53 PM

I should get my thought together first....some things never change! About 30 minutes past HH is Pranburi, here you have Evason Hideaway, it's $300++ range but pool villas, quiet rural area, quite a lot of top class resorts but scattered along the coastal area of Pranburi and Pak Nam Pran and very close to the Sam Roi Yot National Park, Aleenta is a top class boutique resort in Pranburi. We are driving to the Banito Beach Resort this afternoon ( IF everyone else gets up! ) just for 1 night, that is another 180 km ( 120 miles ) south. This coastline offers a lot of choices. Will check out the Wora Bura Spa especialy as that was one area we did not see before.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 09:43 PM

has anyone stayed at the lawana since it was turned over to anantara?
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:32 AM

ileness, you might want to start a new thread with the new name of the resort. This thread is 5 years old.