Last minute day trip to Miyajima?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO and I were going to spend a total of 7 days in Kyoto and the south, which included the days traveling to and from Tokyo-Kyoto. We have the 7-day rail pass and wanted to visit Nara and possibly Miyajima during this time. We don't travel or spend money from Friday night to Saturday night, and were wondering whether taking a day out to travel to Miyajima would be worth it, or whether we should stay and enjoy Kyoto. This is indeed a last-minute question, but I'd appreciate any thoughts. We're loving our first proper day in Kyoto. Thanks!
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 09:16 PM
kja

Must you decide now? IMO, one of the nice things about day trips is being able to decide on any given day whether you want to take it or not....

FWIW, I truly enjoyed Miyajima, but I spent a night there, and the times before and after day-trippers were there were particularly lovely. Too, I combined it with Hiroshima, which I think would be difficult to do on a single day trip from Kyoto.

Nara is, IMO, a very special place, as is Ikaruga just outside Nara, home to Horyuji and Chuguji. Of course, you have many other options for day trips from Kyoto -- Himeji, Ohara,Uji, ...

I'm glad you are enjoying your first day in Kyoto and am sure you will have some wonderful experiences no matter what you decide.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 06:52 AM

It all depends on what you want. Looks like the weather will be nice.

You can visit Hiroshima and Miyajima on a day trip from Kyoto. Better if you could stay overnight in either location.

The trip to Miyajima would take about 3 hours.

From Kyoto you would take the shinkansen to Hiroshima probably with one change of trains. This would take less than two hours.

If you want to visit the Hiroshima Peace Park and Museum then you could take the streetcar to Genbaku Dome Mae stop. Go through the park and museum and then there is another streetcar line back to Hiroshima station. Note that one of the museum's two buildings is closed for renovation.

From Hiroshima station it is about an hour to Miyajima. Take a JR local to Miyajimaguchi then a short walk to the JR Ferry.

If you go then don't forget to take your passport along with your JR Pass.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 07:06 AM

So, Miyajima would cost about 6 hours of travel time. It could be a long day. You would want to plan out the shinkansen part of the trip to find your best options. Otherwise, the shinkansen part of the trip could take a good bit longer.

Kyoto to Nara is 1 hour on a JR Rapid Service train. They run every 20 to 30 minutes, so you could just show up and take the next one.

Visiting Nara from Kyoto is definitely worthwhile and easy.

Visiting Miyajima is also worthwhile, but not as easy, and you need to really want it considering the time cost. I would not do it but others enjoyed it.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 11:48 AM

Kyoto to Miyajima is doable, although as said it'll be 6 hours in transit round trip. If you spend the whole day there, then you can return after the sun goes down so you don't lose any daytime sightseeing.
Kyoto to Nara is 45-60 minutes one way, depending on which train you take.
You can see regular fares, routes and schedules on Hyperdia.
http://www.hyperdia.com
Under "More Options", be sure to uncheck the Nozomi box since you can't ride that train using the pass.

Another option is Himeji, with Japan's best castle. You'd have more time for sightseeing, and enough to see the biggest sights - the castle, the Kokoen Garden next door, and Engyoji temple on top of Mt Shosha.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3500.html

You'd need to have something lined up though, otherwise a simple Tokyo-Kyoto round trip does not make a 7 day pass pay off. Personally I'd never decide on day trips on the fly, unless weather is the only consideration.
You should not miss Nara though - it's one of traditional Japan's crown jewels. One other place to consider if you're suddenly with a couple of free hours is Hikone Castle in Shiga. I's also one of the few surviving original castles.
https://youtu.be/dCp5HCc6rYQ

Osaka and Kobe are nice too in the evening if you still have some time after seeing Kyoto.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 03:31 PM
kja

@ Adastra: I’m curious: Why would you never decide on day trips on the fly? I can understand if a choice of pass depended on planning ahead, but why only for weather?
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 04:31 PM

The answer is really quite simple - I like to plan and research first - know where I am going, choose the best place for me, and have a back up plan in case something goes wrong. It makes travel so much more efficient and meaningful. I've found that most surprises during a trip are not positive events.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 05:14 PM
kja

@ Adastra: I'm with you on that! I plan my trips obsessively, and haven't felt the need to stray from a plan for more than an hour or so for MANY years. But I wouldn't suggest that spontaneity is unwise if it suits the traveler. (And I'm not saying you made that suggestion -- just clarifying what you meant....)