himeji castle an Nara in the same day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if it is possible to see himeji castle in a morning and then head to nara in the afternoon?( we will be staying in kyoto) is this way to agressive? - I am trying to put together an itenerary - Thanks
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:14 PM

It is agressive but doable. It's an hour to Himeji from Kyoto station. Figure an hour for getting to Nara from Kyoto (including some train transfer time). It ends up being 4 hours of travel. Add an hour to get to/from the three stations.

You can visit Himeji-jo in the morning but Nara deserves more than just an afternoon.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:01 AM

Not a good way to do it. Himeji takes an hour to visit but another two hours to get there and back and Nara requires several hours -- actually a full day.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Also, if you're visiting Nara ,you're going to want to visit Horyuji as well. I would recommend doing Himeji on another day.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

heres the thing,

I arrive Kyoto on Friday at around 12 or 1
Then I am in Kyoto - Sat, Sun, Mon and tuesday until about 2pm

Himeji castle is a top priority for me to see, so I figure that will take a full morning. I am decideing whether to try to do both in one day, use another day to visit nara , or skip nara and just spend all the time in Kyoto

Any suggestions? - should I skip nara?

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 06:12 PM

No, don't skip Nara. If you can visit Nara on a day different from Himeji, then visiting Horyuji is a good idea. Hate to say it but Horyuji is an optional add-on to the "non-optional" Nara.

A Hikari shinkansen will zip you from Kyoto eki at 7:44 to Himeji at 8:31. After a 15 minute walk from the station you will be at the entrance shortly before the castle opens at 9AM.

Spend 2 hours at the castle and then go back to the station and at 11:25 catch a Kodama shinkansen to Shin-Osaka change to a L'Ex to Tennoji and then a JR local line to Nara that arrives at 1:09 PM. I forget what time of year you are going (October?) but you will have at least 4 hours to spend in Nara in daylight.