Reload this Page >

Langkawi -- Datai or Tanjung Rhu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Kat

My husband and I are planning a long-weekend trip to Langkawi at the end of March and are torn between Datai and Tanjung Rhu. <BR><BR>We love quiet time to ourselves and privacy, but we also would enjoy a nice beach (if it's not crowded) and canoeing.<BR><BR>The rainforest setting of the Datai sounds terrific to us, but is their beach really not much to look forward to as people have pointed out?<BR><BR>Which one of them is closer to points of interest in Mother Nature?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Kat

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 12:33 AM
Elaine

I would definitely go for the Datai. It has the reputation of being one of the best luxury hotels in Asia and is much smaller (and therefore offers more privacy/seclusion) that Tanjung Rhu. And Langkawi is so small that you are never that far away from anywhere else, including places of natural interest.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:32 AM
David

Kat<BR><BR>Both hotels are excellent. The Datai is more luxurious and isolated but the Tanjung Rhu has the better beach.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 12:32 AM
Tore

Hi Kat,<BR><BR>please let me know what your final choice was, and what your verdict is.<BR><BR>I'm staying at Tanjung Rhu on a honeymoon in june, but are also considering the Datai.<BR><BR>thanks.<BR><BR>Tore

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 07:41 AM
Clive

My wife and I got married at The Datai 5 years ago - it was definitely the best hotel we had ever stayed at - for once the brochures do not exagerate. If possible choose a villa which are situated in the rainforest (it is hard to get closer to nature &amp; still stay in a 5* hotel!. The beach is small there is an island in Datai bay where the hotel will arrange a picnic which should provide a little seclusion. The main pool near the main hotel buildings is for adults only and is very quite (and is probably the bggest I have ever seen!. The rooms/villas are fantastic &amp; provide everthing you will need. Having said all of this we are spending this Christmas at the Tanjung Rhu, partly because the Datai is massively expensive over xmas &amp; partly because we liked the look of the Tanjung Rhu which is apparently on one of the best beaches in asia. let me know if you would like an update on the T-Rhu in 2003<BR>Clive

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 08:01 AM
Xenos

Clive, as this is a US-based website, all the posting dates are back-to-front for us Brits. That means that the people asking the questions have been and come back months ago.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 11:37 AM
leeigh owen

gotta say..DATAI is best, it was the best resort hotel last year, poll done by Conde Nast and I've been there...good jolly!, I love nature and the smell of sea and nature. if like privacy quite times..and close to nature and just be away and swept away...this is the place, even though the beach is better at Tanjong Rhu...and you don't have to worry bout the beaches being crowded here in Langkawi, this is not Phuket! it's hassle free and pleasant and the locals are very helpful and friendly and let you be!