Kyoto confusion

Search

Kyoto confusion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kyoto confusion

Sorry to bother the expert Fodorites again, but it seems just when I think I have everything set, it gets messed up!

We changed the dates and were able to get HNL to KIX flights. Then the JTB travel agent told me that Hotel Okura was not available but that they could offer the Rihga or for an extra charge, the Hyatt Kyoto.

Message boards had excoriating comments about the Rihga, so we opted for the Hyatt for an extra charge, which appears to be further away from transportation options. The agent has been unable as of tonight to confirm our October stay, but I am hopeful. Otherwise we are back at square one.

She also sent an email tonight advising me that if we wished transportation via van for our family of 4 from KIX to the hotel, the charge would be $750.00 each way!

I certainly expected prices to be high in Japan, but $1500, to get to the hotel is exhorbitant.

It seems possible to take the Haruka express from KIX to the Kyoto station. The hotel web site advises that guests can pick up the MK taxi there for transportation to the hotel. Does anyone have information on this as an option?

Also a question for the Hawaiian Traveler- from your previous posts you note Hyatt room upgrades. How do you do that? Can you transfer AMEX points to a Hyatt account?

Thanks again all for your advice. I can't give up now, 14 year old grand-daughter is super-excited. She even corrects my pronunciation of NARA.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 01:06 AM

Could they mean Y750 @ way? Made the mistake of not staying at Hyatt like KimJapan was helping me through. They offered FREE one way taxi service from the Kyoto station to the hotel last May when I should have stayed there. Check the website if the offer is still good.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 01:43 AM

The Hyatt has a program where guests who book through www.hyatt.com can get a free of charge one way taxi transfer with MK Taxi from Kyoto Station to the Hyatt. I'm not sure if the deal applies to agent bookings or not, you will have to ask.

$750 per trip for airport transfer is clearly over the top unless it is a helicopter. That's ¥75,000. That's a mistake...and if it is not, it's time for a new agent because this one is terrible, trying to pass that one off.

You have options as follows:
Haruka train to Kyoto Station and then either MK Taxi or any old taxi will do as the fare is under ¥1000 for the trip station to Hyatt. Haruka cost is ¥3290 per adult.

Limousine bus to Kyoto station then taxi. Limo bus is ¥2300 per adult.

MK Taxi Skygate shuttle, ¥3500 per person, airport to hotel. This is what I would recommend for easiness and fairness of price. http://www.mk-group.co.jp/english/shuttle/index.html

The Hyatt is right at a bus stop that many buses pass all the time, and we found buses more useful than subway in Kyoto. It's walkable to Kiyomizudera, next door to Sanjusanendo. You can also walk to subway if you like, about 8 minutes.

It has been my experience that JTB mark up heavily. Their Sunrise tours, for example, when I costed them out, were over 200% mark up over what you could do on your own, even after taking into account a guide fee. Their tours to countries other than Japan for the Japanese market are similarly expensive. They may be a big tour company, they may be famous, they may have service, but they really get you in the pocket.

To be honest, you might be better off with another agent or on your own. Just checked the Hyatt, and from October 1 - 20, there is wide open availability in all room types at their lowest rate except on Saturday nights, which is available but for more money. From October 21 - 31 there is wide open availability at a slightly higher starting rate, reflecting seasonal pricing. I see the same pattern for October as for September, and we have reserved 3 nights at ¥31,000 Virtuoso rate, including tax, service, breakfast, ¥3500 f & b credit and upgrade if available...Hyatt direct rates for our nights are variable, with 2 nights at ¥37,000 each and one at ¥43,000 with tax, service and breakfast only included. Virtuoso is a good deal at the Hyatt. I'm guessing that if you booked through Virtuoso you would get the same price we did for a deluxe room.

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 09:03 AM

KimJapan gives you good advice for your transport from KIX to Kyoto......$750.00 US must be a mistake

I agree that you should book hotel on your own. It's very easy to do and either directly online or thru a Virtuoso seems your best bet. Whichever way you book the Hyatt be sure to join their Goldpassort club. That is how I get the upgrades, its with the status of your membership in the Goldpassport club....and I always ask if there are any upgrades avaiable at check in. Never hurts to ask

Yes you can change your Amex points for Hyatt rooms.....see here for details:

http://tinyurl.com/4kzysl

Aloha!

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

OK. I've emailed MK limo service and they confirmed the price as you have noted from KIX, so that is definitely the way to go- easier than schlepping two teens, husband and luggage through train stations after a nine hour flight.

For Hawaiian traveler- joined Hyatt gold passport today.

Next on the list is to investigate the extra nights that I'm getting charged by JTB for the Hyatt and compare with the web site.

Thanks everyone!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:02 AM

You've made the right choice with the Hyatt. If you look on Tripadvisor, you'll see it's #1 in Kyoto.

I've stayed at both the Hyatt and the Westin Miyako in Kyoto, and the Hyatt is, in my opinion, more conveniently located than the Westin.

Westin is on a train line, but there is a bus that will get you to most places just around the corner from the Hyatt.

Not to mention, Hyatt is next door to Sanjusangendo... be sure to pop by in the morning on your way out to see the thousands of buddha statues.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:25 AM

We just spent 4 nights in Kyoto and are already planning a trip back to Japan. We stayed at the Granvia. We take lots of day trips and it is by far the most convenient hotel for transportation. We had one bad weather day and used it just to see the Kyoto station and surroundings. Can't wait to go back!!!
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 02:30 AM

We loved the Granvia too and I would love to go back.