Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Kyoto - Citadines, Kyoto Royal, or Royal Park? (Convenient + quiet?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My husband and I will be staying in Kyoto for 7 nights in early October. This is part of our 3-week trip to Japan (which I've already posted and for which I've had some very helpful suggestions - thank you!) It's been tricky to find a hotel in our price range, as many of the recommendations were already booked. I've narrowed it down to 3 that do have availability, and would like to get your feedback.

Priorities for us are
1) Quiet - hubby is a very light sleeper and even w/ earplugs is easily bothered by traffic noise, hotel noise, etc., even sounds that I sometimes don't hear at all.
2) Location - I'm in the very early planning stages, so I don't yet totally understand the transportation options in Kyoto with all the different buses, trains, subway... (that part will come later), but I do know that we'd like to minimize the time spent getting to attractions each day. Proximity to major sights, or at least an easy/quick/straightforward way to get there, is important. In other countries we've stayed places where we can walk right out the door and be in the midst of things, and also in quieter neighborhoods w/ more character, but still with some restaurants and a grocery store around, and within a quick bus/subway ride from sights...we've enjoyed both. Many posts cite proximity to shopping...it's not critical that I be near big department stores, but I do plan to enjoy smaller shops and local handicrafts, though it's not necessary that they be right outside my door. We'll be taking some trips - Nara, Kinkaju, Fushimi-Inari Taisha, etc., so if those all involve the main Kyoto Station then we don't want to be too far from there, but I don't think we'd enjoy staying near the station.

Options:
* Citadines Karasuma-Gojo - (Studio Twin w/ sofa and 2 beds) - at the Gojo subway station, sounds like there are buses nearby, as well as a grocery store, and that it's halfway b/t the Kawaramchi area and the Kyoto Station. But several reviews noted noise issues.

* Kyoto Royal Hotel - (Superior Twin) - on Kawaramachi Street, can walk to Nishiki Mkt and Gion areas, sounds like a great location for sightseeing, and close to both buses and subway (1 min walk from Shiyakusho-mae subway stop). Again, several reviews noted noise issues.

* Royal Park Hotel (Standard Twin) - Along Sanjo-dori and near the river, can walk to the Gion area, close to subway and bus, but a 15-min walk to the nearest North/South subway line. Price is higher than the other two, but not out of our budget, though I had to do a special request (which I'm not sure will work) for 2 beds, which we really prefer...so there's always the chance we could end up w/ a double for that same rate.

We also found availability at the Toyoko Inn - Shijo-Karasuma, but for the same price as the first two, the room is nearly half the size, and the others all received better reviews. We tried the Kyoto Garden Hotel, Hyatt, Dormy, Comfort Inn, and Mitsui Garden, and they were either booked or not in our price range. I'd love your thoughts on which of the above would offer the most convenient stay while also being quiet enough for a restful night's sleep. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:37 AM

What is your budget?
I would worry more about the hotel than proximity to sightseeing, as Kyoto is a big city and sights are spread out. Wherever you stay you'll use transportation and,actually, taxis aren't so expensive as you'd think and are so much faster and convenient than the buses in my experience. Example - last month I used taxi from Karasuma area to Arashiyama via Nijojo and it took 40 minutes but only ¥2,500. From Arashiyama to the Hyatt was ¥1,800. Those were the most expensive trips.

Do you mean Royal Park The Kyoto? If so, it is in a busy area and a step above a business hotel. The entry level rooms are quite small and feel a bit cramped. Better rooms are, well, better. The restaurant area for breakfast is nice and their bar area is reasonable.

If the Hyatt were close to your budget I'd spend the bit extra. Very well run. Book through a Virtuoso agent and get breakfast, a small credit to use during your stay and upgrade upon arrival if available. It is a very nice hotel, much nicer than your average Hyatt. Staff is friendly and helpful. Italian restaurant great. Bar great.

Have you looked at Kanra Kyoto? It is very peaceful and Japanese in aesthetic with great service. Usually it is priced well. It would be my second choice.

If you want to go low budget, the Kyoto Garden Hotel has great low rates. Trick is they appear only in Japanese. Non-smoking, small, clean but not new rooms. Quiet. I am a terrible sleeper and I slept there. Location is fine. No frills but I paid under ¥4,000 for a single. Fantastic value IMO.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kim,

We'd like to stay under $150/night total (including taxes), as the costs for 3 weeks in Japan will quickly add up. The Kyoto Garden Hotel shows no rooms available during our stay, and the Hyatt was well over $200; I'll check the Kanra Kyoto. I've spent several days researching reviews and availability, and just am still not sure. We're not really looking for low-budget, but I guess $150/night is pretty low-budget in Kyoto. Yes - the one we looked at was the Royal Park The Kyoto. The Citadines and the Kyoto Royal Hotel were the others...they seem to get good reviews online, except for the potential for noise. If anyone has any thoughts on those two, please let me know, and meanwhile I'll keep looking.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Hi, I have the same problem in planning our trip. 4 nights in Kyoto (late March) and same budget x night (more or less 12 / 14.ooo yen). What do you think abuot ANA Hotel? Looks to be not so bad, good price and location.... Ciao, Gianni (Milan, Italy)
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 02:21 PM

Kyoto Garden hasn't yet loaded rates for November, like many business hotels. Citadines gets very good reviews but I haven't seen it in person. There is also New Hankyu near Kyoto station, but they haven't loaded rates past July, but it's ok.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 09:39 AM

We had similar questions when trying to choose accommodation for Kyoto. In the end, I split our 5 nights there. We spent two in Ryokan Shiraume, in the heart of traditional Gion. It's a higher end ryokan so expensive but worth it, and we booked one night B&B and one night dinner, B&B. Perfect.

For the other two nights, I was dithering and dithering, trying to balance cost with location and transport options. In the end I found a great deal for the Hotel Granvia which is actually within the Kyoto Station. It's a higher end Western hotel, and the standard rooms are ordinary but perfectly decent and comfortable. And I'd not do breakfast or food there, as that's all overpriced. But if you can get a discount rate on the room it's worth it as the location is just fantastic for getting to many sights. From there we could so easily hop on both JR lines and the metro lines to get around. Oh and there's some very good eating in the hotel. Unlike the UK, the restaurants in department stores are excellent and we had some very decent meals indeed in them.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 09:42 AM

PS I used Agoda for discount hotel bookings, if that helps!