Reload this Page >

hotels in kyoto

Search

hotels in kyoto

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:57 AM
ann

hotels in kyoto

We plan on going to Japan at the end of August and will be going to Tokoyo and Kyoto. Which hotel in Kyoto should we stay at that is conveniently located and not expensive. Also should we splurge to<BR>stay at an upscale ryokan( 2 meals a day)?<BR>We enjoy japanese meals and may willing to<BR>spend extra for the total experience. Are there any ryokans that charge 200 us dollars per person or less a night?

Old May 19th, 2002, 11:53 AM
lilli

We stayed at a great place in kyoto called the Matsubaya Ryokan...Mrs Matsubaya was great, spoke no english but it really didn't matter too much. A little cold in the spring when we went but close to kyoto station and buses. http://www.matsubayainn.com/ <BR>http://frommers.com/destinations/japan/0229020931.cfm<BR>

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:07 AM
Randy

I was in Kyoto about two weeks ago. I stayed in an inexpensive hotel- Palace Side- and was very happy with the staff and location. Then for variety's sak we moved to Rikaya Inn. It ws a moderately price ryokan with avery good locatiom - between Gion and the parks and shrine/temples to the east.<BR>The first was about $100 and the second around $150.

Old May 21st, 2002, 04:13 PM
ann

Thanks for the suggestions! There are so many different accomodations to choose from.

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:05 PM
Ladybug

Lilli and Randy, could you give us more details (the more, the better!) on the lodgings you mentioned, esp. Matsubaya and Rikiya? I've heard of these two over the years, and would really appreciate more insights and descriptions based on your personal experiences with the rooms, meals, baths, surrounding neighborhood, proximity to transportation, etc. Also, how did you make your reservations? Thanks very much for whatever info you can share.

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:21 PM
Ricky

Ann,<BR>When you said upscale ryokan, would you like to stay at the one with onsen/hot spring? There are several near Kyoto, like Sagano. But I stayed at one onsen hotel in Ogoto called Yumotokan. My wife and I had unforgettable experience. http://www.yumotokan.co.jp/<BR>Although the homepage doesn't have much English, you can still see the photos of different kind of onsens there. We chose the plan costing Yen16500*2 persons (include 2 meals, 50 minutes private onsen bath and unlimited public bath) http://www.yumotokan.co.jp/html/haru/o-tokubetu.htm<BR>If you are interested and need more info, let me know.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:48 AM
lilli

Hi Ladybug...<BR><BR>I really enjoyed the Matsubaya Inn and it was very convenient for me to get around. It was about a two block walk from Kyoto station and close to the Higashi-Honganji Temple....right across the street. This was great so that in the morning we could take a short walk to the buses and head out to the other sites...very easy for me and i don't speak japanese. There are kiosks at the buses to help you pick the right bus to what you are looking to see. The Matsubaya Inn was very comfortable in the rooms and very traditional with wooden screens and tatami mats and futons. And the heater kept the rooms warm. Outside the rooms in the communal washrooms it was pretty cold, but there was a hottub for cold nights. It was a nice place to stay for some comfortable nights but it really wasn't as traditional as I would have liked. There were many other tourists staying there and the pop machine in front of the Inn seemed a bit out of place. I would have liked a place with less western elements but then the english might have been more difficult and more expensive. I would recommend a combination of this less expensive place to stay and a few nights at a more expensive and more traditional place. I didn't try the meals at the Matusbaya but would think they might be better to have at a higher priced ryokan. Also, I would have liked to try a traditional onsen (hot spring) but didn't have much time in Kyoto. Hope this helps.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 07:35 PM
wendy

Ricky, can you please tell me more about Yumotokan? I looked at the site, and the pictures are beautiful. The prices don't seem extraordinarily high, either. Is it very traditional? Can you get there from Kyoto without a car? Would you recommend it to a couple on their honeymoon in Japan?

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 01:19 AM
Ladybug

Lilli, thanks so much for the info on the Matsubaya ryokan - and please forgive this delayed response (I haven't checked this Board in a while). The details you provided will certainly help me to evaluate Matsubaya against other places I hear about, although I agree that a more traditional ryokan will probably cost more. <BR><BR>Thanks again!