HOTEL PROBLEMS KYOTO

Search

HOTEL PROBLEMS KYOTO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOTEL PROBLEMS KYOTO

We live in Korea and are leaving in the next few months for home in the states. We have not seen Japan and my husband is only agreeing to it because it's our anniversary. I got great airfares from here for the last weekend in October. I can't believe it, but all the popular hotels in Kyoto are fully booked. Since my husband is into comfort and doesn't care to experience a ryokan (sp?) I'm stumped and wonder if hotels have cancellations at the last minute. I'm on a waiting list for the Westin Miyako, our first choice, but I'm getting worried. Are their other quaint areas nearby with nice hotels we might book. I presume the time we chose is popular because of autumn leaves. I would be grateful for suggestions. I want to see Kyoto and Nara and we're flying into Osaka. Thanks, "Party Pooper's Wife"
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 01:07 AM

Yes, it's a peak time in Kyoto, not so much with autumn leaves (too early, mid-to-late Nov), but with Jidai Matsuri on Oct 22, a procession of thousands in historical costume and general popularity of autumn months for sightseeing after the summer heat.
If you can't get a place in Kyoto (cancellation is possible but you can't count on it), get a hotel in Osaka - it's only 30 min by train away. If you get it on 24-hour cancelation term, should a room become available in Kyoto, you can take that up without penalty.
Have you looked at Rakuten Travel site? They do have allocations of rooms at many hotels.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 01:18 AM

Have just looked at (Japanese) Travel Rakuten site travel.rakuten.co.jp and they have availability from Oct 26-28 for a twin/double at Kyoto Royal, Hotel Montore, Heiyan-no-Mori, Fujita, Kyoto Plaza, Century, Okura, Hyatt Regency, plus cheaper places.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:06 AM

You asked the identical question 9 days ago in this post:

http://tinyurl.com/2b4cw4

Did you follow up on the responses that you got?
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

To Rizzuto: I feel like an idiot, but once I asked and went back for replies I couldn't find it! Anyway, I have lots of suggestions now so I'll hope for the best. Thanks and sorry to be a pest.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Alec, I'm looking into Rakuten asap!
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM

kp-
I am also having problems with the search function... can you see the post if you click on your name? That has worked for me.
Also a total coincidence but I see you posted questions on my Italy trip report-- did you go to any of the restaurants that you asked me about? We miss Italy and are going to Venice in exactly 3 months!
Liz
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 05:12 AM

No problem, koreaprincess -- glad you found your first post.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, After weeks of difficulty trying to get a hotel in Kyoto, I just by accident got the Westin Miyako, my first choice. I still don't know how I did it, because each time I check different websites it says "no rooms available". So now I am planning our itinerary. I would love some restaurant recommendations. p.s. to Liz: Yes, we went to one of your restaurants in italy. I had an awful time with my sister's attitude the whole time, but this was one of the ones she liked (I'll have to check on the name). I didn't post a report because it is one trip I'd like to forget! Pat
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Our very favorite restaurant in Kyoto was a Spanish Tapas restaurent called Antonios on Nijo Dori (we were staying on Nijo Dori - so it was just down the block -). The food was fantastic and for once I got a decent bottle of wine in Japan. It's in central Kyoto in the old section.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Dear Ange,
Thanks for the tip. We love Spanish tapas, had them in Barcelona a few years back, so my husband will be happy. We'll look for Antonio's! Pat the wine sounds good too