Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Kuala Lumpur: Mandarin Oriental vs. Traders

Kuala Lumpur: Mandarin Oriental vs. Traders

Dec 1st, 2009, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Kuala Lumpur: Mandarin Oriental vs. Traders

The topic is noted above. Please discuss amongst yourselves.

Considering both for our stay in KL--know that both have great views of Petronas, given the right room. Traders seems slightly cheaper, but rooms also look smaller. Wondering if anyone has first-hand experience/advice to give.
Dec 1st, 2009, 10:11 PM

Hi

I have stayed at Traders several times and I think it is a great hotel. The location is more or less the same as the MO, it is newer and more modern and the view towards the Petronas towers is amazing if your room face that way. If you stay on club level you also get a great view from the lounge. But the best of all is the service in my opinion. Here is a review of Traders as I see it http://www.gardkarlsen.com/Traders_h...pur_review.htm . One thing that is better at MO is the pool area.

Here is a KL trip report in case you haven't been there before http://www.gardkarlsen.com/malaysia_kuala_lumpur.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Dec 2nd, 2009, 12:46 AM

Stayed at the MO a couple of times - really nice hotel and well worth the extra for the Club floor. Amazing service and excellent location. Great buffet restaurant and the Wasabi Bistro provide some of the best sashimi I have had outside of Japan.
Dec 2nd, 2009, 05:27 AM

I was happy with MO. The one negative, was that being so close to the towers felt like being in Vegas with all the high wattage lights. Maybe I didn't need to be that close,
Dec 2nd, 2009, 06:47 AM

bill, look at the imperial hotel...its a starwoods and well located by good restaurants and the rapid transit
Dec 2nd, 2009, 07:40 AM

Really really really didn't like the MO. We did a big trip starting and ending in KL with our first hotel being the Hilton and the final one for our special night being the MO. Should have done it the other way roung!

The MO was a massive disappointment. Faded rooms, average service, yet very expensive. It felt like a hotel out of the 1980s. Our first room had stained carpets and Best Western-style furnishings. When we complained we were moved to a corner suite which wasn't much better. The customer services manager actually admitted to me that the place needed a massive overhaul.

We also went to the Traders for drinks and it seemed quite cool. I'd put the Hilton first (brilliant, stylish hotel) followed by Traders. Then anything but the MO.
Dec 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM

A few years ago I stayed at the New World Hotel. Very nice facilities and had a great view of the towers from the bed. Just a short walk from the towers, or to the monorail to get to Bukit Bintang.

But, I'd have to say the best hotel I've stayed at recently in KL was the Impiana. Fabulous rooms, short walk to the new Pavilion mall or to KLCC (the towers) and an unbelievable price.
Dec 6th, 2009, 11:30 PM

FW
We stayed at the MO last year at the start of our trip to Malaysia and were VERY impressed with the service. Rooms are run of the mill 5 star and the location certainly is fantastic. They arranged a few things for us and the service we received was spot on. (in fact they got us tickets to the Petronas towers so we didnt have to queue!!)
For me IF that is the location you want, then i would certainly recommend. It does not however (IMHO) have a particulary Malaysian flair or feel to it but is obviously a very good quality hotel at relatively affordable prices compared to other MO properties around the world...
Hope that helps?
Dec 6th, 2009, 11:34 PM

Also have you considered Maya? They had some good deals when we were going but because the MO in KL had been on my radar for a few years we stuck with that.
Dec 7th, 2009, 02:40 AM

We LOVED the Sheraton Imperial. The price we got was even cheaper than Trader's. The standard room was absolutely amazing as was the breakfast spread that was included in our tariff.

We enjoyed Trader's for a drink.

Search this Thread