Ongoing Debate: Oriental vs. Peninsula - my 2 cents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So having read all of the posts on the perpetual debate over the Oriental vs. the Pen before my trip to Thailand, had to stay at both myself (of course) so I could at least have an educated opinon. Just returned 4 days ago & here are my 2 cents:

Both are fabulous hotels and I would gladly stay at both again. However, the Oriental wins top prize hands down in my mind. The service there was simply flawless and the old-world charm unparalled. First off, they really do know your name - amazing given that it is not a small boutique resort. After the first visit to the Bamboo Bar, they knew my drink on every susbsequent visit (Lychee martini, by the way). Attention to detail is just amazing - celebrated my birthday there but didn't tell the hotel anything about it. On check-in, they indicated "so you'll be spending your birthday with us this year". On my birthday, the following magically appeared in my room: Birthday cards (one each from the hotel & the floor butler); extravagant tray of intricately cut fruit, 2 amazing flower arrangements, gift and birthday cake -- but that wasn't all. I had booked my birthday dinner at Le Normandie (Degustation menu with wine pairings was out of this world!) again without mentioning my birthday. Luscious chocolate cake with candles blazing and boxes of chocolates were presented at the end of the meal. Felt like the King of Siam! Messed-up bed and bathroom were tidied up by magic elves even when leaving the room for only a half-hour. I have to point out that I was very apprehensive that they would be very stuffy at the Oriental. However this was not the case at all. Pranced through the lobby in the evening on several ocassions in shorts & sandles and nobody said a word.

On the Pen, no major complaints, just small stuff -- but as they say, the devil is in the details. Had to repeatedly ask for coffee refills at every restaurant - don't think they understood the concept of bottomless cup. Place-settings not replaced after being removed so that I had to ask for a fresh set in order to be able to continue eating. Ordered Thai Iced-Coffee at one of the restaurants one evening but at another of the restaurants the following night was told adamantly that they had no idea what I was talking about & that I must be mistaken about having had it the previous evening.

OK a few wins for the Pen:
1) Dim Sum at Mei Jiang was just a notch over that at China House. Being of Chinese descent, am really critical of my Chinese food. But both were far superior to anything I've had at home in the states. Dim Sum in Bangkok is so ethereal & sophisticated with none of the heavyness & greasyness that you get in the U.S.

2) Thai restaurant (Thiptara?) far superior to Oriental's Thai (only so-so)

3) Free Sky-Train passes & a complementary afternoon tea were big pluses!

OK, I'm sure this debate will continue into eternity, but at least now I've had my say!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Glad to hear your comments. I agree that the Oriental wins hands down as compared to the Pen...although, of course, all hotels have little quirks. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:08 PM

can you remind us also about the differences in the costs at each hotel...that has a lot to do with the service offered...please compare like rooms...

i would expect wonderful service at the oriental...it is world class and has years of experience...it actually remembers when service was service...

thanks for this very good review of the two....

that's one for gloria!!!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:07 PM

Needless to say I agree 100%. As for the cost, the Oriental is definitely more but as they say -- you get what you pay for. So for me the Oriental is a far better value than the Penn.

Again it depends what matters to you --for me the most important aspect of a hotel is atmosphere, warmth and service and the Oriental wins hands down.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 03:47 AM

LCY64-- since there really aren't many of us who have stayed at both it would be great if you could describe and compare different aspects i.e. rooms, pools, amenities, atmosphere, service, restaurants etc.

Also -- were you at the Oriental after they renovated their verandah and pool area? If so, I'd love to hear a description.

Thanks
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 04:13 AM

Yes score this one for the Oriental! The battle resumes!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Bill-- my hope is that either the Pen's prices will go up or the Oriental's will go down so that you will try the Oriental. Although based on your wife's preferences the Pen still might come out on top for you at least you'd really see the differences.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:56 AM

Maybe I need to dredge up my travel journal from the trip at the holiday time in '01-2, when DH and I stayed at both. I did a pretty comprehensive + -chart (with DH's help). The two came out virtually even. I'm in NH right now, and not at home, but I shall try to enter some,but probably not all, of the comments we came up with.

The debate rages on...

Carol
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 07:17 AM

Gloria- the first thing I have to do is get back to BKK- then we can deal with maybe trying the Oriental. We are heading back to the Philippines in Feb/March to visit with the relatives we missed this year and see the other parts e were not able to work in. Next trip after that is likely to be China.
We try to do different venues rather than repeat.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 07:23 AM

Carol-when confronted by NH's slogan of "Live Free or Die", I always wonder whether the choice requires you to live in NH. It would be a much tougher question if that were so.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Bill- I'm at the point in my life and travel when much of what I do is return to places I loved and want to explore more. But that's largely because I've been most of the places that I really want to go. So this trip is a return to Bangkok and Chiang Mai and Rangoon.
I suspect my next trip will involve a return to Japan but I'll probably find a way to spend 5-7 days in Bangkok at the end of trip to veg out. At some point I want to get back to LP since I was only there for a couple of days in the early 90s and there are lots of places in India I still want to get to.
But thailand is where I feel most at home -- especially northern thailand. And the Oriental is a big part of what brings me back to Bangkok.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Judging form all of the respsonses, this really may be the most debated question on the forum!

To try and answer some of the questions: Stayed at what I would say were pretty comparable rooms. Deluxe Garden Wing at the Oriental (I think it is the second most inexpensive). Balcony Room at the Pen (I think 3rd most inexpensive). Price differences based on Internet rates I think was around US $349 for the Oriental vs. US $280 for the Pen, so about 25% more for the Oriental. Both still a great value compared with rates in the U.S. or even may other locations in SE Asia. Rooms were about the same size (approx 500 sq ft.) Full-on river views from both rooms - balcony a plus at the Pen. Bathroom at the Pen was enormous with 2 sinks compared to that at the Oriental (however stayed in the Garden Wing since I love that Old World charm -- not sure if bathrooms in the River Wing are larger). Rate at the Pen included breakfast - not at the Oriental.

Both hotels have similar amenities:
Pools at both.
Fitness centers at both (although I never ventured near them - too busy eating)
Spa at the Oriental - not at the Pen (set to open soon)
Business centers at each (free Internet access at the Pen vs. nominal charge at the Oriental)
Restaurants: Full spectrum at both from casual to glam. Chinese and Thai at both.
Atmosphere: I would describe the Pen as a Modern spin on Elegance & Sophistication. The Oriental as Classic Style & Elegance from the Golden Age of Travel.
In terms of Service, the Pen is top notch. Howvever, the Oriental defines the word "service". Truly World-Class.

Finally in terms of the renovations on the Pool & Verandah at the Oriental, I am not much of a pool person and had just arrived from Phuket so didn't spend much time at the Oriental Pool. Seemed to be 2 pools - one directly below the Garden Wing next to the Author's Suites with chaises & attendants. 2nd small pool or maybe reflecting pond parallel to the walkway that leads to the Bamboo Bar, Verandah Restaurant. In terms of the actual verandah, there were I think 2 levels of seating between the Verandah restaurant and the river. Also flowed into a seating area with Bar directly next to the Private Boat Pier.

Hope this helps. At least some fodder for more debate eh?
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 06:27 PM

LCY---this added to your other comments are the best review i have seen....if u include the cost of a comparible breakfast at the oriental i think you are approaching 1/3 cheaper for the penn...that is about what i would have thought...
the words you have choosen are a perfect description of the differences!!

i think the styles are different at each as well....for instance one situation i experienced...

at lord jim (oriental) when you get up from your seat the waiter puts your napkin on the right side of your plate no matter where you have put it...i prefer to put it on the left arm of the chair...each and every time...we got laughing about it...i am left handed and prefer it on the left arm of the chair...i put it there each time and he replaced it to the "proper" place each time...

at the penn they leave your napkin where you have put it...

which is better service...i know which one i prefer...
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 06:33 PM

I paid under $200. for my standard room, at the Oriental, in Aug 2005, and $145. for my standard room at the Pen in Aug 2004. The small difference in the price, at the Oriental, was worth it...although my room/bathroom was definitely smaller at the Oriental than at the Pen. It was also smaller than my room at the Four Seasons. But, the overall experience, minus the quirks, was WAY better than my experience at the Pen.So, if friends ask me where to stay and they've decided it's either the Pen or the Oriental, then I will tell them to go to the Oriental. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Another vote for the Oriental...much as I like the Peninsula chain and most of their hotels, in Bangkok the Pen is too cold for me...the sense of history sitting in The Authors Lounge thinking this is where Somerset Maugham sat..the feeling of being in Bkk which is somehow evoked in the Oriental even tho the decor is not really "Thai" - I like the Pen but IMO it could be anywhere...as far as restauarnst go I rarely eat at either in Bkk - non hotel choices abound!
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 02:45 AM

Everyone knows where I stand on this but here is my comparison. In terms of rooms I will be comparing two standard (lowest price) rooms.

Room size -- Pen room a bit bigger
Bathroom -- both excellent. Both had two sinks (i'm talking about the river not garden wing of Oriental). Both have separate toilet area. Pen one is larger and has a tv over the tub.
Toiletries -- I know the Oriental has a large kit there -- to be honest I don't remember what the Pen had but I'm sure it was comparable
Room decor -- both lovely but I felt the fabrics prettier at the Oriental. Also there were a lot more fresh flowers in the Oriental room which gave it a warmer, less hotel feel. In general I think the room at the Oriental is prettier.
View is comparable at both
Restaurants-- Oriental much better in terms of variety both in terms of cuisines and price. And all the foods are outstanding with exception of thai restaurant which is ok but not great.
Breakfast -- about the same but I prefer the atmosphere of the Verandah at the Oriental.
Pool -- Pen is probably better although I have read that the Oriental has just redone its pool area so that might have changed.
Spa-- only Oriental has one and it's one of the best in the world
Fitness Center -- Never checked either one out. I do know that the Oriental just spent millions to redo it.
Public areas -- Oriental wins hands down. Not only because of its history but because the place oozes life and warmth. Although it is about the same size as the Pen it feels more like a home rather than a hotel and the lobby is just a part of a wonderful house party. I found the Pen to be much more sterile, commercial and formal -- very cold. The Oriental atmosphere is fun. Lots of life.
Service -- again the Oriental wins hands down. Not because of efficiency but because of the warmth and pride the staff take. To them it is more than a job -- they love the Oriental and take pride in it and they genuinely want you to have a good time. They want the hotel to be your home and they want to become your friends even if just for a few days. The Pen staff is much more formal, a bit arrogant, very cold. None of the thai warmth or charm. They do what they absolutely need to do but don't take the extra step to make you happy.
Other -- Oriental has a great jazz bar as well as some outstanding upscale shops in the hotel and right outside at Oriental Place.
Concierge -- Oriental wins hands down. Concierge at Pen only adequate.
Maid service -- never wait to check in at Oriental no matter when you arrive and room cleaned/straightened many times a day. Neither is true at the Pen.
Complimentary hors d'ouvres and fruit basket every day at the Oriental -- not at Pen.
Room rate -- although this obviously changes depending on time of year or how you book, in general I would say the Oriental is 15-25% more for their least expensive rooms. I think Oriental is 15-30% more for a deluxe room.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 06:28 AM

I totally agree with Hobbes.The Pen could be anywhere. At the Oriental, I felt like I was in Bangkok. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Guen and Hobbes-- when I call the Pen cold and sterile it's my way of agreeing with you -- it could be anywhere in the world. Has no personality and neither do the staff. It's all sort of generic deluxe.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Regarding the spa: the Pen is building a large spa in a newly cleared area next to the pool. They say it will open summer/fall (as I remember)
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 06:41 PM

Yes,"generic deluxe"...that's exactly the way I would describe it! Happy Travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -