Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Koyasan temple stay - Eko-in or Shojoshin-in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2009, 08:55 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need your help in choosing between staying at Eko-in or Shojoshin-in in Mt. Koya.

Eko-in has a Hanare with private bath/toilet available. Shojoshin-in has only a regular Japanese style roon with no private bath available (since it is only one night's stay, this may not be that much of an issue).

Which temple offers an authentic, tranquil experience. Which temple has a better location in terms of proximity to Okonuin.

I noticed that Frommer's has a good write up for both temples but gives 1 star foe Eko-in and 3 stars for Shojoshin-in.

Please help!

Thanks.
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 10:06 AM

Hello! May I ask where you ended up staying? Many years later!
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 10:48 PM

Nicetrywilliams
I can't answer for what KDD chose back in 2009 but I just wanted to update that Shojoshin-in does have a private hanare, it's a charming detached house right next to the main temple building, and can be privately booked. Because the main living / sleeping space can be divided into four, the hanare can sleep a fairly large group, but we booked it for 2 back in 2012. The hanare has a private bathroom with shower and tub, and toilets are off to another side along a corridor. Everything is enclosed within the one building.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 06:07 PM

Thanks @kavey. This was one of those searches that asked my exact question, so figured I'd jump in a few years later. Haha. And see, I got an answer. I'll be sure to check out Shojoshin's private space (I had no idea!).
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 07:12 AM

You are welcome! I booked through japaneseguesthouses.com which handled all the communications (and questions) to the temple for me, which was vastly easier for me.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 09:22 PM
kja

Sorry to discover that my responses haven't gotten through with Fodor's recent posting difficulties, so trying yet again....

As kavey says, do try japaneseguesthouses.com

Shojoshinin is right across a street from the older (most interesting, IMO) parts of magnificent Okunoin. Eko-in is further -- I think something on the order of 2 miles away, but I could be wrong. )

I believe Eko-in has a fire ceremony that Shojoshinin does not offer -- if interested, you need to check on that.

My room at Shojoshinin did NOT have a private bath -- but it did have a lovely view over the temple's courtyard to the hills beyond. And it did have a nook with a sink, was just steps from a set of toilets that offered privacy and never had a line, and offered access to shared baths. The women's bath was small, but had an entry area and then a separate bath, both lined in wood, and each sufficient to easily accommodate two or three people. IIRC, a woman was just stepping out of the bath area as I was just about to step in, so we crossed paths, but never shared space. I suspect the demand varies; FWIW, I was there in May of 2006.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 02:56 AM

I think if we were booking to visit there now, I'd likely go for a regular room and use the shared baths, but this was my first visit to Japan and I was hugely nervous of the shared baths, mostly the shower on an open stool aspect. And I also use the bathroom during the night, and didn't know how close the sleeping rooms would be to the toilets, so that was another factor for me.

I am sure the Hanare was more expensive, I no longer recall by how much, but back then, we only paid 30,000 Yen for the Hanare, which included dinner and breakfast for 2.