Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stellarossa: Here's one for you Francophiles . .

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:29 PM
Tony Hughes

Check this website out, it's about a best-selling book in France that alleges there was no plane crash at the Pentagon on Spetember 11th. I truly do dislike the French.<BR><BR>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1907955.stm

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:39 PM
xxxxxx

Dear Tony<BR> not that your question has much to do about travel but I saw on the internet some photos regarding the Pentagon disaster, they were taken just after it was hit and are very clear. If the building was hit by a Boeing 757 how come so little damage was done and how come their are no parts of that aircraft? When a plane hits a low building like the Pentagon one should see parts of the aircraft among the rubble, if you want to see these images reply and I will send you the web address. I can tell you that I showed them to a military expert and an engineer and they are very puzzled....

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:41 PM
Tony Hughes

So why hide behind a fake name? What happened to the people killed on the airplane? How do you know what a building looks like after a plane has hit it?

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:48 PM
Gerard

Dear Tony<BR> I think that you did not click on the link of the website(Hunt the Boeing)that you asked to check out,I did and I am now convinced that no aircraft hit the Pentagon, take a look and make a comment http://www.asile.org/citoyens/numero...erreurs_en.htm

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:55 PM
Tony Hughes

I did as a matter of fact AND it takes a lot more than a few pics for me to change my mind.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:57 PM
Jean

You dislike the French because they have the courage to denounce a matter that you don't even face? I doubt that the author is antiamerican but simply has come out with a legitimate question. What happened to the aircraft? Where are the remains? I am sure that if it had happened in France he would have raised the same question. I am sure also that in the next weeks the book will be a best seller in the USA as well (if they allow it to be released)

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:59 PM
Tony Hughes

dislike 'em for a lot of reasons, mate.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:01 AM
Gerard

So Tony what are you saying? I believe what I am told? I have faith in my governors, whatever I see with my own eyes doesn't count? The pictures are clear,where is the aircraft?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:06 AM
racist

Yes, your racism is showing again Tony.<BR>Not sure race is relevant to this issue. Someone, who happens to be French, is questioning events. Many people are intrigued. Why should this be a platform for you to remind the forum of your personal racism towards the French?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:08 AM
Oh my God

Now you give me the shivers, I saw the suggested pics and my word am I confused?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:35 AM
tops

top of the tops

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:38 AM
clairobscur

There's a very interesting site adressing urban legends and other fallacies which is www.snopes2.com. They've a recent article about the "no plane crashed on the pentagon" theory. They adress some of the issues raised (in particular the pictures, but I didn't pay that much attention). So perhaps confused people like the previous poster could check this site.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:58 AM
HRH SBP

I am from DC originally.<BR><BR>a coworker WITNESSED the plane going in. he was on 395 going in to work.<BR><BR>I have seen the Pentagon personally, a week later. I was here in Europe when it happened.<BR><BR>wow, it took the Holocause deniers HOW many years to come up with their cockamamie theories? now, it's only taken 6 months for the crash deniers. <BR><BR>what a weird, weird world. you think there are weirdos on fodors? get out there and look around! yikes!!<BR><BR>SBP

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:17 AM
Tony Hughes

Well said HRH. <BR><BR>My racism is showing again? Please elaborate. I dont like the French - that's racism, yeah? What exact race would I be hating then (as 'french' is not a race, dumbo)?<BR><BR>There are 2 still on that website - nothing to say they are sequential or anything. So you can believe there was no plane crash (although the families of those on board may wish to speak to you).

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:37 AM
Tes

Tony shut up, I am starting to think that you are French. How were your escargots at lunch?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:46 AM
racist

Dictionary excerpt:<BR><BR>race <BR>n. <BR>-A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics. <BR>-A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race. <BR>-A genealogical line; a lineage. <BR>Humans considered as a group. <BR>Biology. <BR>-An interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms differing from other populations of the same species in the frequency of hereditary traits. A race that has been given formal taxonomic recognition is known as a subspecies. <BR>-A breed or strain, as of domestic animals. <BR>-A distinguishing or characteristic quality, such as the flavor of a wine. <BR><BR><BR>Tony<BR><BR>I think if you consider how the term Racism is actually used you will appreciate it's not all about biology.<BR><BR>And YES to state categorically that you dont like the French IS racism, unless you have actually met ALL of them?<BR><BR>I personally find your statement no different to saying you dislike all gays or dislike all blacks or dislike all Scots. <BR><BR>Your pointer to the website is interesting, but its sad to use it as a platform to spout personal and racist comments about one or other nationality.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:47 AM
FAO Tony

Further:<BR><BR>Usage Note: The notion of race is nearly as problematic from a scientific point of view as it is from a social one. European physical anthropologists of the 17th and 18th centuries proposed various systems of racial classifications based on such observable characteristics as skin color, hair type, body proportions, and skull measurements, essentially codifying the perceived differences among broad geographic populations of humans. The traditional terms for these populationsCaucasoid (or Caucasian), Mongoloid, Negroid, and in some systems Australoidare now controversial in both technical and nontechnical usage, and in some cases they may well be considered offensive. (Caucasian does retain a certain currency in American English, but it is used almost exclusively to mean “white” or “European” rather than “belonging to the Caucasian race,” a group that includes a variety of peoples generally categorized as nonwhite.) The biological aspect of race is described today not in observable physical features but rather in such genetic characteristics as blood groups and metabolic processes, and the groupings indicated by these factors seldom coincide very neatly with those put forward by earlier physical anthropologists. Citing this and other pointssuch as the fact that a person who is considered black in one society might be nonblack in anothermany cultural anthropologists now consider race to be more a social or mental construct than an objective biological fact.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:49 AM
Let's not

Disliking the French because of that book, or because of a few obnoxious people, would be like disliking the Scots because of Stellarossa.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:01 AM
Tony Hughes

Geezo, you lot are still whining about this? <BR><BR>So who is it i hate? The black french, the ones with moustaches (men and women), the north african-french, the onion sellers, the whites, anyone with a french accent? Or do I just hate 'em all?<BR><BR>I didnt actually say why I disliked the french - all of you assume it's from one incident or with meeting, like, 3 people. And as for quoting me crap from a dictionary, I've got two words for you - you proved my point. <BR><BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:15 AM
Just

well, don't keep us all guessing and assuming, just why do you so dislike or hate the French? You've implied everyone is wrong so why don't you set us straight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -