kowloon to beijing sleeper railway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone travelled on the kowloon to beijing sleeper railway? if so let me know the pros and cons, we can easily fly, but would like to have a mini adventure, thanks a million, Fizz
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 03:29 AM

My parents have done Kowloon-Beijing and Kowloon-Shanghai several times.

They are quite comfortable in soft-sleeper (4 in a cabin), and VERY comfortable if you get the deluxe soft-sleeper (2 in a cabin, all lower berths). The cabins are quite spacious. The dining car is like a full-service Chinese restaurant, and the prices are very reasonable.

There are washrooms at either end of each car; and since each car has only 9-10 cabins, you're only sharing them with <40 people in soft-sleeper; <20 people in deluxe soft-sleeper. Most times of the year, the train isn't full, so actual number of passengers are even less. I wouldn't bother with shower though, and the trip is just over 24 hours.

Of course it is not cheap, especially if you use the deluxe soft-sleeper, and you don't really save hotel cost, as you "waste" a day on the train. But if you want to see the country and have a day to spend, I think it's a great way to travel.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the reply, any idea how far in advance your parents booked this, as we are restricted to the actual day we travel from HK to Beijing, and would only do it if we could book a 2 berth deluxe cabin, do we book a flight along with our package, or wait untill we can book the train, any idea how booked up in advance flights get between the two cities, would we be able to get a flight at lets say 2 months notice if train cabins not availiable, thanks , fizz
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 04:38 AM

You can get the train tickets same day, except during major holidays. The train is seldom full, especially in deluxe soft-sleeper.

Plane tickets can also be bought "last minute". To get good fare, don't buy from the airline, but any agent in Hong Kong, say the day before, or maybe even early in the morning for a late flight.

Note that the direct Kowloon-Beijing train is not daily, but runs every other day. You need to find out which day it is, if you have specific plans.

Another option is to go across the border from Hong Kong to Shenzhen and then fly from SZX to PEK. Will usually save you some money compared to flying from HKG.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

thanks alot for your advice, wehope to take the train, cant wait, happy travelling, fizz
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:30 PM

seat61.com has fares and schedules.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 10:40 PM

Shanghai-Kowloon (Jiulong, train K99, costs 600 RMB for soft-sleeper upper berth, 627 RMB lower berth. [I don't know exact price for deluxe soft-sleeper.] Takes 25:46.

I don't believe there's a direct train Shanghai-Shenzhen. You have to change train and train station in Guangzhou to do so, and it's not going to save any money. In fact, if you then switch to a Guangzhou-Kowloon "through train", it'll cost you quite a bit more compared to the direct Shanghai-Kowloon.