travel options from hong kong to beijing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Can anyone give me travel options to get from Hong Kong to Beijing? I fly into Hong Kong and was wondering what is the cheapest, fastest way to get to Beijing. Didn't know if there was an economy train or bus that could take me there.
thanks!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Fastest and easiest is to fly from HKG to PEK. One-way full fare in coach is about US$370. Not many discount fare on this route, especially for one-way.

Cheaper is to go up to Shenzhen and fly SZX-PEK. Full fare is about US$260, but it's not unusual to find fares up to 60% off if you're not too picky about which flight to take. There are "direct" coach and ferry services from Hong Kong to the Shenzhen airport. About US$15 for the bus, $26 for the ferry.

Direct train from Hong Kong to Beijing runs every other day. Takes about 25 hours. One way fare ranges from about US$35 for the 2nd class "hard seat" to about $150 for "deluxe soft sleeper that sleeps two in a cabin. Regular soft sleeper (4 in a cabin is about US$100, while hard sleeper (three level bunks, no private cabins) is about $60.

On the day without the direct train, you can take a HK commuter train to Lowu, cross border, then board the Shenzhen-Beijing train. Total price about the same, so is travel time. Not sure if it has "Deluxe soft sleeper" or not.

Forget about a bus. It will take way too long with multiple connections to make this 2,500km (1,550mi) trip.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response. When you say the 4 in one cabin for $100, is that per person, or is that a cabin that seats four for $25 per person? I have 4 people traveling and we're trying to find the cheapest, fastest way to get there. And which train do you recommend? We would like to see the Great Wall but our Cathay Pacific All Asia Pass will only take us to Hong Kong. Thanks again for your help!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:34 PM

minasa - "Soft Sleeper" is about $100 per person. That's a first class sleeper, with 4 beds in a cabin. During the day, the upper berths fold up and 4 of you can sit in your own private cabin.

If you want to save money, you can do the 2nd class "hard sleeper". But still $60 per. The soft sleeper is definitely worth the extra - more room, more privacy.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 06:43 AM

you can take a train all the way to Beijing.
it is cheap and comfortable